Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1072255 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11550 on: February 03, 2015, 12:13:10 am »

Not sure about the Heavies, but isn't there a limitation on MAXes?
If you survive long enough as a MAX, you've already replenished the nanites needed to pick up a new MAX from the nearest terminal on respawn, last time I'd played. And one of the cont. lock bonuses makes them cheaper.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: February 03, 2015, 12:33:51 am »

Hossin is no longer "under constructrion" according to the loading screen, but there are still prefab 'construction site' bases littered around the map (though some of them have been renamed).

Hossin is absolutely not polished to the standard of the other continents, though... so hopefully they're not actually finished with it, and merely want to stop openly advertising the fact that they're not.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: February 03, 2015, 01:25:06 am »

To be fair, a lot of the people who could be doing work on Hossin are working on Koltyr, and as much as I like the idea of Planetside Dagobah, it's way more important that Koltyr is released than it is that Hossin is polished up to snuff. Giving newbies a place (relatively) free from being farmed constantly will do wonders for player retention.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: February 03, 2015, 04:24:11 am »

What's special about Koltyr?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: February 03, 2015, 05:01:21 am »

It's a mini continent exclusively for new players for them to screw around in and get the hang of the game before heading out into the world at large.

Currently new players are basically thrust into the world to fend for themselves the moment they get into the game. There's a tutorial that they may or may not complete but, meh, if SOE the devs decided that making a newbie zone was necessary the tutorial must not have been cutting it. The PS4 release probably has something to do with it as well.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: February 03, 2015, 05:51:21 am »

It's a mini continent exclusively for new players for them to screw around in and get the hang of the game before heading out into the world at large.

Currently new players are basically thrust into the world to fend for themselves the moment they get into the game. There's a tutorial that they may or may not complete but, meh, if SOE the devs decided that making a newbie zone was necessary the tutorial must not have been cutting it. The PS4 release probably has something to do with it as well.

I have played Planetside 2 before, y'know. >_>

The tutorial was pretty terrible. All I remember from it were some basic FPS instructions and then being dropped into a large battlefield where I was immediately killed.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: February 03, 2015, 08:07:19 am »

That's probably the old tutorial, they revamped it with a fairly decent tutorial on Planetside-specific things.

I haven't played this in a while since I'm on a med-low-end computer and can't run PS2 in even a 12v12 :(
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: February 03, 2015, 12:52:18 pm »

Wrel made a good video on his visions of what a new player experience should be like. Having their own continent is a step in the right direction. I can see a problem though: unless they have a good mission GUI to point players where they need to go then the lack of experienced players there to tell them where to go new players may get confused or lost. I suppose making the continent so small and with few options to go (and making it so the 'winning' faction is forced to face two opposing factions simultaneously) helps with that.

They're also making little hints pop up at the corner of the screen describing how to use your class ability or jetpack etc.. But they could go one step further and make tooltips appear when you look at/mouse over things. Having a tooltip appear in the middle of the screen when you look at a terminal could be useful, especially if there's one for when you're trying to use an enemy terminal so people know that they need infiltrators to hack them before they can use them.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: February 03, 2015, 02:03:50 pm »

I highly doubt that would help retain players.  No one is going to spend more than a tutorial there when the whole point of PS2 is big battles and large scale fights and maneuvering.   You might as well give new players 10,000 certs or something.

Gear is not a reason I don't play PS2, either.  My current weapons are fine and the starting weapons were too.  I guess if you wanted to play tankside or airside you would need the extra time farming certs, but, imo, those elements of the game are really badly done and don't mix with infantry play well at all.  I don't play it, because I didn't like any of the armies I'd played with enough to join and have a crew and they've never done anything about the broken resources systems.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: February 03, 2015, 02:04:11 pm »

I'd assume the newbie continent will follow the same "no thinking required, just follow the line" lattice system as the rest of the continents.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: February 03, 2015, 02:05:41 pm »

Also, I get too tired of friendlies running in front of my engineer turrets.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: February 03, 2015, 03:58:09 pm »

I highly doubt that would help retain players.  No one is going to spend more than a tutorial there when the whole point of PS2 is big battles and large scale fights and maneuvering.   You might as well give new players 10,000 certs or something.

This. Heroes & Generals completely destroyed their game by requiring you to play 10+ hours of throwaway 6v6 randomized matches before you could play any match that actually had real equipment, full groups of people, organized play, or meaning. Then they required dozens more hours to participate in the metagame.

You really do not want the kiddie table to be completely devoid of any of your game's selling points.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:07:45 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: February 03, 2015, 04:13:41 pm »

Koltyr should be useful on the PS4, as I suspect they'll have a large number of new players for a while. On the PC it'll probably be irrelevant, provided they do a good enough job explaining to the player that they can leave at any time.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: February 03, 2015, 06:59:29 pm »

I'm not sure what the point of a newbie island is at all.

Everything is *reasonably* well balanced with the starting weapons, and there's an assortment of cheap weapons available so it's not like the old players have massive stat advantages

If it's just the skill gap... you're a fool if you don't think people will smurf to go stomp newbies.

Once again SoE daybreak game company (DGC?) seems to be completely clueless about things that should be obvious to everyone.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: February 03, 2015, 07:19:38 pm »

It's not so much stat advantages as it is skill and game knowledge. I don't know about people going to 'stomp newbies', that sounds extremely boring, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised people like that exist. It'd be neat if it restricted you based on whether you've had at least one character past BR 10 or 15 or whatever it is. Even if that doesn't happen there probably won't be enough 'smurfers' to ruin every newbie's experience. Hell, it's better than being dumped in a place where everyone you're fighting is a BR100 with battlegooses.
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 826