Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1073399 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11610 on: February 12, 2015, 09:09:47 am »

DayZ style zombie survival MMO.
Ah, the genre of unfinished walking simulators with guns and permadeath. Its not like we've got a billion of those already. ::)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: February 12, 2015, 02:15:09 pm »

How long ago? They're already laying people off?
I hope it was just people who weren't doing their jobs properly, but given how viciously short-term-profit focused things tend to be in this world...

Well, Planetside is skrewed. Enjoy it while it laaasts.

They'd already said they were more or less stopping development on PS2 because of H1Z1, laying off 40-50% of their company isn't going to help that.
Wait, citation? I mean, both on the stopping development and the 40-50% number please.

Well, not stopping development entirely, just moving a number of resources to H1Z1. Also, the 40-50% number was from one of the laid off dev's twitter feed as an estimate of how many were laid off. SOE is a company of about 200 (I rea that on reddit. Their BBB page says they have 64, but I'm not sure how old that is) people between two studios. Of those, a surprisingly large number of people from Everquest have been scrapped, including the project lead. That, some people have speculated, means that Everquest itself is going to be scrapped. As for PS2, I know the lead base designer was scrapped, along with some others I'm forgetting. There's a list on Reddit with confirmed layoffs, I'd link it but I'm on mobile.

EDIT: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2vmp48/master_list_of_developers_affected_by_the_layoffs/

There was more from PS2 confirmed since I saw that last night. Ouch.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:25:55 pm by Glloyd »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: February 12, 2015, 02:19:22 pm »

Thanks! I was honestly just curious. I'm not overly surprised about everquest, it sounds over ambitious, and overly relying on their voxel engineness.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11613 on: February 12, 2015, 03:33:55 pm »

If they scrap Everworld, the MMO scene loses a damn fine contender in the making. Shame.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: February 12, 2015, 03:48:31 pm »

If they scrap Everworld, the MMO scene loses a damn fine contender in the making. Shame.

I've never played any of the Everquest games, but by the looks of the layoffs, they're either going to pare it down a ton, or scrap it entirely. Shame. PS2 likely won't fair too much better. They'll probably finish the PS4 port, bring in some more quick cash, then drop it.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: February 12, 2015, 03:50:07 pm »

A shame. I hope it doesn't turn into a PlanetSide 1 scenario. I had a tiny hope inside me that one day we'd see Planetside 3.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11616 on: February 12, 2015, 04:43:53 pm »

Everything being so profit-focused is the bane of creativity.

Anyone here heard of Dungeon Keeper Mobile? Yeaahh... My guess is that H1Z1 is going to be something like that (though maybe a bit less soulless.)
Maybe it will surprise me and be really good, though? We can only hope, but I doubt our hopes will be answered.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11617 on: February 12, 2015, 05:09:31 pm »

Everything being so profit-focused is the bane of creativity.

Anyone here heard of Dungeon Keeper Mobile?
Its a pretty bad accomplishment to be most soulless mobile game, but EA's astoundingly good at showing why we can't have nice things.

My guess is that H1Z1 is going to be something like that (though maybe a bit less soulless.)
Maybe it will surprise me and be really good, though? We can only hope, but I doubt our hopes will be answered.
Whenever it gets finished, then I believe it'll count as the first properly finished DayZ-like. So good or bad, it'll be known for that at least. Still doesn't make up for PS2 losing major people though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: February 12, 2015, 06:08:05 pm »

SPEAK NOT OF DUNGEON KEEPER MOBILE
I HAVEN'T RECOVERED SINCE LAST TIME :c
The original is amazing, though.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11619 on: February 12, 2015, 06:48:17 pm »

I really hope they at least keep the servers up for a while. PS2 is the only MMO besides Runescape I've ever really played, and for that matter the only free game I've paid money for. There's nothing else on the market right now that compares.  :-\
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11620 on: February 12, 2015, 07:00:27 pm »

The servers will probably be up for a long time still. The real issue is that it's quite possible that development is about to completely freeze. The worst part is that, from what I gathered, this is basically entirely H1Z1's and EQ's fault.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: February 12, 2015, 07:10:12 pm »

I'm still pretty irritated at the whole H1Z1 thing. I have no idea what they were thinking. Did they really expect to outdo Day Z?

In any case, if you look at the reddit there's a lot of panic, people asking what's going to become of the game. People unsubbing, claiming that unsubbing will send a message, and people saying that unsubbing will only hurt those that are still working there... it's really sad especially considering how frequently the devs used that reddit and interacted with the community.

I happened to unsub, myself. They have 5 months to prove that PS2 is actually going somewhere before it expires. I've spent more money on this game than I have any other at this point, buying weapons with real money even though I had the certs to buy them because I felt it supported the devs more... I really don't want to see this game fade away, not after just 2 years...

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11622 on: February 13, 2015, 12:02:43 am »

Higby, the creative directer, has left Daybreak (SOE).
I'm still trying to believe that it isn't over.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2vqcge/thank_you_to_the_planetside_2_community/
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: February 13, 2015, 12:03:43 am »

-accidental double post-
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11624 on: February 13, 2015, 01:49:54 am »

What's the point in playing if you can't Higby pls? :(
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 826