Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1073275 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11805 on: September 30, 2015, 07:26:10 pm »

Well, glad to hear things are at least not going to hell, if not looking up.

I'll probably re-download it some time soon.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: October 05, 2015, 09:52:02 pm »

The downside of playing a medic, having to make the tough calls:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/10/07/le-choix-de-sophie
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: October 05, 2015, 10:04:11 pm »

I kinda want a medic tool that maybe doesn't revive as quickly or with full health but gives people damage resistance of some kind for a few seconds after healing or using it on them. It could take a second for the resistance to charge up so you can't just poke everyone with it as they rush through a doorway, and make heavies to medics like what engineers are to MAXes right now. Right now I use shield bubble and everybody loves me for it, but it can only do so much.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11808 on: October 05, 2015, 10:12:41 pm »

Sounds pretty good.  I would have appreciated something like that in certain situations where I, or my revive-target, died in front of one of those one-way doors.

Though the game does appear to give people a second or two of hidden movement, yeah?  People I revive always seem to get up, then teleport a few feet away.  And sprinting away from the place I died generally seems to work out well for me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: October 05, 2015, 10:27:22 pm »

That's the lag. It's why when people get up they'll be playing the 'getting up' animation while sliding around. It's also why when somebody steps around a corner and seems to kill you just as you see him it's because on his screen he's walked around the corner and shot you while on your end he hasn't even rounded the corner yet.

I was thinking more along the lines of situations where I have a heavy assault do the shooting for me, because I need to be behind cover to revive people. So I pop my bubble down somewhere and heal HAs as they shoot around corners. The shield regeneration along with the health regeneration might keep them alive for slightly longer but it's never anything really noticeable, and something \that makes them take less damage as I medtool them would be great.

Also, healing grenades are so useless. It would be better if healing grenades used your suit ability 'energy' instead of ammunition, so you can eaithe ruse healing aura or your healing grenade... but then the healing bubble does not use suit energy so.. I dunno.

On another note, I heard a while back they were implimention territory 2.0 or something, basically the resource revamp. Have they made any progress?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: October 05, 2015, 10:52:45 pm »

That's the lag. It's why when people get up they'll be playing the 'getting up' animation while sliding around. It's also why when somebody steps around a corner and seems to kill you just as you see him it's because on his screen he's walked around the corner and shot you while on your end he hasn't even rounded the corner yet.
It's sort of funny, of all the FPSes out there, PS2 is one of perhaps two where I think that people camping a room/building should have an advantage, and it's simultaneously the worst case I've ever seen of this lag advantaging constant offensive movement.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11811 on: October 05, 2015, 11:03:06 pm »

It's clientside hit detection. With the massive scope of the game having it any other way would be even more disastrous than the current implimentation. Imagine emptying a magazine into somebody but none of the shots register because the server didn't think any of them hit.

Also it's probably part of why people consider .75 ADS weapons to be superior, because of the super janky movement.

EDIT: I just watched a brief video on Reddit and on the death screen you can click a button to "get revenge." Wonder what that's about...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:28:32 pm by OzyTheSage »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11812 on: October 06, 2015, 01:26:17 am »

Yeah, I know that hit detection is about as good as it's going to get, which is why I don't actively complain about it; it's not something that can really be patched or "fixed" in the context of PS2.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: October 06, 2015, 01:38:03 am »

EDIT: I just watched a brief video on Reddit and on the death screen you can click a button to "get revenge." Wonder what that's about...

It's the new bounty system. You can pay money to put targets on people's backs.

It's good for three kills, with each kill giving bonus xp to the person who claims the bounty. The bounty also gets bonus xp while the bounty is active.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: October 06, 2015, 02:00:11 am »

Silly anecdote and balance whine; was Lightninging around today when a Vulcan Harasser showed up, and I blew it up. It came back again, and again I took it down. They swapped loadouts, came back with a Gatekeeper and killed me.

The Gatekeeper makes the Vulcan look like a bad weapon. I didn't know that was possible.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11815 on: October 06, 2015, 01:57:05 pm »

It's the new bounty system. You can pay money to put targets on people's backs.

It's good for three kills, with each kill giving bonus xp to the person who claims the bounty. The bounty also gets bonus xp while the bounty is active.

Ok, that's cool. If it costs like $0.25 or so I could see doing that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11816 on: October 06, 2015, 07:19:22 pm »

I wish that they'd set it up so you could set bounties in cert points rather than real money for exp if you wanted to. Like, you put a 5-cert bounty on someone and the next five times they're killed the killer gets a free cert point.

3. Run Resize Enable

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: October 07, 2015, 10:59:24 am »

Still going to give Engies a plug for a "good" class to cert into. They're not the best at anything, but they certainly are versatile. Any range, any situation, you can still contribute.

I'll give you that Medic is probably best at being cert-profitable, but an AV mana turret and a battle rifle does let you fulfill a few niches as an Engy that a Medic never can. Plus all the vehicle fun.

Is it good AV/Sniping? Nope. But you can do it at least. It's actually not bad AV once you get used to it (and BR sniping can pick off quite a lot of people when ammo isn't a concern. It's crappy sniping compared to an Infiltrator, but if you're good at sniping as an infiltrator, you'll probably do pretty well with a BR).

Plus, zerg rushes. You really do need both engies and medics for them. You actually might not need too much else but engies and medics for a successful rush. Pick one, laugh at all the fools that picked something else. Profit.
It's a game. Have fun.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #11818 on: October 07, 2015, 02:54:35 pm »

Plus, the Archer is really good vs Maxes.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: October 18, 2015, 01:44:05 pm »

I actually started playing this again, mainly as medic.
Pretty fun, I feel like I got a lot of certs. Started with about 650 from things that got refunded in the two years i havent played this game, spent them on medic stuff. Res grenade doesnt seem as good as everybody calls it, its hard to make it go where you want it to. I also still feel like cert gain is reaaaalllyyy slow, especially since "essential" guns such as reaver rockets or the dalton cost loads and loads of certs.

Was also wondering what a good medic rifle would be, and other misc recommendations. (I basically only play NC).

Also, I don't like how continents "lock" after an alert, we were just having a nice push into vanu territory when the alert ended and we lost :/
I guess it solves population problems, though.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 826