Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1068285 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11835 on: October 20, 2015, 12:54:32 am »

I should probably look for an outfit instead of hopping in random squads and hoping for the best, but i dont know how im supposed to do that :v
Whenever you log in and look at the squad screen take note of what squads have clan tags next to them and remember the clan tags of those who you enjoyed playing with. If you can consistently have fun with the same group of people then you know you have found your outfit.

This.  This deserves repeating.  I did that myself long long ago and never regretted it.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11836 on: October 20, 2015, 05:35:26 am »

Ozy, the problem is that they've collected all of the resources into a single pool now, so it has to regenerate quickly.

Personally I'd prefer (an element of) how it worked way back: when you pull a vehicle, that vehicle goes onto a cooldown timer and you can't pull another one until it's off cooldown again. If you were good enough to stay alive for a long while (or were just using it for transport), the CD wouldn't matter, but if you were zerging against another large group and lost it you wouldn't be able to pull it again. I'd like to see that in combination with the current single-pool rapid-regen resource.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11837 on: October 20, 2015, 09:21:33 pm »

Yes, the old resource system was nice because not only of the things you mentioned, but each base was associated with a resource. If you were low on X resource you could fight at a base with X resource, or cut the enemy off from having those resources. What I did wish, however, was that I could either use my unused tank/air resources for something, even if it's just to gift to other players or donate/share it in a big resource pool.

I heard a while back something about ANTs. If they are what I think they are then it will promote one of my favorite parts of the game: cross-facility fights.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11838 on: October 20, 2015, 09:28:54 pm »

Yes, the old resource system was nice because not only of the things you mentioned, but each base was associated with a resource. If you were low on X resource you could fight at a base with X resource, or cut the enemy off from having those resources. What I did wish, however, was that I could either use my unused tank/air resources for something, even if it's just to gift to other players or donate/share it in a big resource pool.

I heard a while back something about ANTs. If they are what I think they are then it will promote one of my favorite parts of the game: cross-facility fights.
You can always spawn a tank, then spawn a flash and the tank becomes accessible to all. I THINK there may be a way to do it without spawning another vehicle, but I'm not sure. I do know that during server smashes, there is always the consideration of giving one or two people the instant flash certs, so that outfits can spam grenade launcher and HMG flashes 24/6
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11839 on: October 21, 2015, 08:37:45 am »

man, playing heavy assault is still as frustrating as i remember it being.
why is it that everyone seems to have strictly better guns than me?

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11840 on: October 21, 2015, 08:52:57 am »

Theoretically? Because HAs aren't actually the primary infantry class (that'd be Medics). HAs have a couple roles: killing vehicles, suppressing, holding choke points, and clearing occupied rooms. None of those really necessitate good guns, just guns which can lay down a lot of fire very fast.

In practice it's kind of absurd to say that HAs don't get good guns; they're better off than everyone except Medics, most other classes are stuck with choosing between carbines, SMGs, and shotguns, and the latter two are highly situational (and also available to HAs). Last I checked, the Gauss SAW was the most-used and most killed-with weapon in the game (though I might be misremembering); at any rate it's certainly one of the best guns you can get, and it's the default weapon for NC HAs. The Orion is also pretty damned good, and it's the default VS HA weapon (the SVA-88's pretty great as well). Almost all of the TR LMGs are excellent... 'cause, y'know, TR.

Medic's a better-rounded "primary" infantry class, but when people want to rack up a high KPM score, they pull HA and go into an infantry furball.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11841 on: October 21, 2015, 09:36:23 am »

The Anchor is considered to be a really good gun if you can use it right, but the Gauss SAW is not very newbie friendly. The EM1 is more of a bullet hose but it's considered the worst NC LMG and I can't remember the exact details. I personally prefer the EM6 with extended magazine. Honestly though if you're fighting in a biolab or any other close quarters your best bet as NC is the Cyclone. It's pretty much the best SMG in the game, and is available to every class and it's not too uncommon to see NC heavies running around with them.

Also if by 'strictly better guns' you mean the Orion or TR bullet hoses, it's because your gun has more recoil. You can't just spray headshots at people like you can with those other guns, and with Orion you can do it while zipping around on the other person's screen. But again, you get the Cyclone which doesn't even need the .75 ADS multiplier since you can probably hipfire it...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11842 on: October 21, 2015, 09:44:12 am »

When I still played Planetside (which, granted, was over a year ago, but I doubt things have radically changed  :P), I ran either the second-gen ES SMG's or long-range rifles (or equivalents) on nearly every class. ADS using SMG's is (was?) nearly useless except at ranges where it was better to Commision them.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11843 on: October 21, 2015, 10:00:13 am »

it's mainly just what it feels like.
its probably to do with the fact that i was peeking corners vOv

still made me really frustrated though, im going to avoid running solo in the future.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11844 on: October 21, 2015, 10:39:10 am »

Out of curiosity, which faction and weapon? Some of them are definitely sub-par or difficult to use.

3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11845 on: October 21, 2015, 10:43:07 am »

I was playing NC HA with the EM6 at this point. I was also fighting a losing battle against the TR, so I was getting frustrated and probably making loads of mistakes.
I bought the EM6 during or right after beta, so it might be absolutely terrible now :P

E:
I sometimes wish there was any reason at all not to instantly quit a losing battle. You're not going to get any xp, you're not going to have any fun.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:55:46 am by miauw62 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11846 on: October 21, 2015, 03:31:24 pm »

Ah, that makes sense though. These days the EM6 is a jack-of-all-trades that's best at medium range but not the best overall at anything. The Gauss SAW is better at long range (and at any range if you've got good reflexes and recoil control), the EM1 is better in CQC, and the GD-22S is better at medium range.

My honest recommendation is to learn the Gauss SAW. It's immensely satisfying to use well, and highly effective if you can manage the recoil.

3. Run Resize Enable

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11847 on: October 21, 2015, 03:36:35 pm »

Jackhammer is surprisingly good.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11848 on: October 21, 2015, 04:46:36 pm »

I solve my frustrations by only playing medic and not chasing kills :P
I think I had like ten kills over maybe an hour of playing, just reviving and healing people, spotting, moving my Shield Field, driving sundies, repairing stuff. I have no idea why this is so fun and satisfying, but it is.
I am almost completely unable to land a kill, though. Even shooting people in the back or while using a skillsuit is hard. I think it has to do with strafing. Sort of hard to learn to control recoil when the TTK is so low.

After that our squad leader invited us to his battle galaxy, so I got quite a few kills and assists from manning four guns with two players. Was really fun, though. People who let pub scrubs man their guns are heroes.

I still have 1k daybreak cash to spend, currently considering spending it on a commissioner or underboss (which will apparently transfer to all chars if bought with daybreak cash) and... Something else. Maybe a vehicle weapon. Not really sure. Me being Alpha Squad appears to mean that I have loads of guns unlocked for basically free, like two buster arms.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 04:49:25 pm by miauw62 »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11849 on: October 21, 2015, 04:59:13 pm »

I solve my frustrations by only playing medic and not chasing kills :P
I think I had like ten kills over maybe an hour of playing, just reviving and healing people, spotting, moving my Shield Field, driving sundies, repairing stuff. I have no idea why this is so fun and satisfying, but it is.
I am almost completely unable to land a kill, though. Even shooting people in the back or while using a skillsuit is hard. I think it has to do with strafing. Sort of hard to learn to control recoil when the TTK is so low.

After that our squad leader invited us to his battle galaxy, so I got quite a few kills and assists from manning four guns with two players. Was really fun, though. People who let pub scrubs man their guns are heroes.

I still have 1k daybreak cash to spend, currently considering spending it on a commissioner or underboss (which will apparently transfer to all chars if bought with daybreak cash) and... Something else. Maybe a vehicle weapon. Not really sure. Me being Alpha Squad appears to mean that I have loads of guns unlocked for basically free, like two buster arms.
Check the bundles out, you can typically find package deals that are cheaper then just buying one weapon. Or the same price as one weapon but you get two instead.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 826