Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1073978 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11850 on: October 21, 2015, 05:07:53 pm »

My experience is just like Miauw62's.  I very rarely get kills, I just run around healing/repairing people and maybe scaring enemies with suppressing fire.

I saved up and got some great medic gun (SMG?) that my PS2-obsessed brother insisted was great.  Didn't feel much different.  Don't really care ;)

Wish I had more space to keep it installed, I do have fun hopping in for an hour or two.  I never mess with vehicles really, though one time I did place a Sunderer well and got a bunch of certs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: October 21, 2015, 05:31:32 pm »

You two sound like me too. Medic things, repair things, be more likely to kill things in aircraft gun turrets. Drive sunderers about, occasionally try to use a max but then remember I don't actually have a matching pair of weapons for it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: October 21, 2015, 07:43:41 pm »

I honestly mostly play so that I can fly ESFs. Problem is, I kitted out my Scythe back in the day when all you could get apart from fuel pods were the plain rockets and A2A missiles, now you need ten bajillion certs to fit out an ESF for multiple roles.

Definitely underlines my problem with factional differences, though; I get more kills in my uncerted Mossie with rockets than I do in my near-fully certed Scythe with massive ammo reserves and thermal scope for the same.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: October 21, 2015, 08:54:09 pm »

I was playing NC HA with the EM6 at this point. I was also fighting a losing battle against the TR, so I was getting frustrated and probably making loads of mistakes.
I bought the EM6 during or right after beta, so it might be absolutely terrible now :P
EM6 is not terrible, it's just not meant for 1v1 fights. I like to put an extended mag on it and use it to put pressure on the enemy, either by sending bullets down range nonstop or by spamming a chokepoint indefinitely, daring people to walk into my line of fire. If you get 2 people with EM6's putting suppressive fire on one point nobody is going to get through.

If you're looking for a more 'competetive' LMG then most people swear by the Anchor. The GD-22S is to the Anchor as the GR-22 is to the Carnage AR, it's got a lower skill ceiling and is meant for people who aren't as skilled at shooting. As a bonus it's the cheapest LMG you can buy for NC (as far as I remember). You will notice this with most of the guns in the game, they are usually 'tiered' with two options per tier. They will typically fill the same sort of role but have stats that vary ever so slightly for them to be better suited for a different kind of player. Don't always go by the in-game stats either, research your weapon on a wiki or throughout the web (video reviews on youtube from well-known players like Wrel).

I sometimes wish there was any reason at all not to instantly quit a losing battle. You're not going to get any xp, you're not going to have any fun.
You're being farmed, being farmed is not fun (and IMO farming isn't very fun either, but PS2 revolves mostly around farming unfortunately). The best strategy is to go somewhere else, even if somewhere else is the next base in line to set up defenses or grab some armor to fight back at the base you're losing. Yesterday we were getting wiped at a base and I couldn't help but notice the skies were full of ESFs, so I went to the next base in line and grabbed my anti-air rocket launcher and just started swatting them down unopposed. You could even do the same if said base has anti-air turrets, or snipe tanks with AT guns or your engineer turret. If you had a squad or platoon at your disposal you could do this much more effectively, and may even turn the tide of the battle.

I solve my frustrations by only playing medic and not chasing kills :P
I think I had like ten kills over maybe an hour of playing, etc. etc. etc.
My experience is just like Miauw62's.  I very rarely get kills, I just run around healing/repairing people and maybe scaring enemies with suppressing fire.
Always remember that this game is not about getting kills, but having fun. Follow the fun. If you like playing in a squad, do that. If you like to play solo, do that. If you like derping around in harassers with your friends, do that. If you like playing support as a medic or engineer, good for you. Often times my most highest scoring 'lives' are those which I don't get many kills but get an insane amount of points from other things like shield bubble.

fit out an ESF for multiple roles.
IMO ESFs shouldn't even be filling multiple roles (very well), but with the very lackluster Valkryie there isn't really much other choice for ground support than a liberator (or a battle galaxy) but then you have to rely on having another person gunning with you.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:57:01 pm by OzyTheSage »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: October 21, 2015, 11:07:38 pm »

Yeah, I've had good fun helping hold a tower by making sure all the MAX players were kept in shape and ammo fed everywhere.  I have 57% engy play for a reason.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: October 21, 2015, 11:14:31 pm »

I should probably play engy a bit more... but I'm one of the few people I've seen that uses the medic bubble, which makes me quite useful.

Just saw this on reddit. What really interested me was the bit about 'next week's victory condition update' (but the hossin MAX thing is good too, less MAX spam is good). So, I found this.

Continents will no longer be captured by alerts and territory control alone. Victory points are a new method of scoring in the game, the more points your faction earns the closer to continental victory you will be; if your faction earns a predetermined number of points then continent is yours. There are a numbers of ways to earn VP: Permanent victory points [...] Flux victory points
Permanent points are earned doing things like 'wargating' the opposing factions (warpgate them both and you win the continent), capturing all of a single facility type (capturing all major facilities on a continent is an instant win), and winning alerts. Someone did point out that capturing Eisa tech plant would basically be an instant VP, since it's the only tech plant on Esamir.
Capturing more than 50% of a continents territory can earn you flux Victory Points. Flux Victory Points count towards continental victory but can be won/lost with the territory you control/lose.
Percentage of Territory controlled
Hopefully these changes will make alerts something that doesn't kill off the servers on a regular basis, and hopefully they can be shorter too.

In the misc notes they state that the old skill tree back from when the game launched is coming back. A lot of people are pleased with this, but since I have nearly everything unlocked I won't really notice, hehe. I guess if I start playing my TR toon again I'd notice...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: October 22, 2015, 01:01:28 am »

I have actually seen a valkryie used rather effectively as a way to spawn and then drop people on a pod. By which I mean I was in a squad that used this to defend a base and drop fifty HAs on TR sundies without anybody paying attention to it.

E:
Sniping is... Really fun, somehow. Set myself up with a dildar between some rocks, in view of a bridge with some Vanu holding on it quite a while off, and a friendly engineer even dropped some ammo at my feet. Nobody shot back until after a good five minutes. Granted, I only got like two headshots during those five minutes, but it was fun and strangely relaxing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:08:21 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: October 22, 2015, 06:07:45 pm »

I don't really like snipers in these games, but I think they're at least more fair than shotguns. Every time I try to snipe I seem to do it wrong, as I really want to countersnipe but adjusting for bullet drop in a scope I never use is pretty difficult. I'd probably have to buy one of the higher velocity sniper rifles or something. It's really bugging me though because in order to finish my force recon directive I need marksmen badges, and I don't know how well I can do that with the Gauss SAW or DMR...

It is kind of a change in pace, not having to worry too much about being shot back.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: October 24, 2015, 03:19:50 pm »

I have gathered about 450 certs, but I'm not really sure what to spend them on.
I could buy another rank for my shield field, which is a pretty good xp farm, or i could save a little more and buy the final rank for my medical applicator, or... stuff for vehicles, or laser sights for my carnage, or w/e. i just have no idea where to spend my certs and i'd like them to go somewhere i won't regret putting them :V

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11859 on: October 24, 2015, 03:28:29 pm »

Full medic tool is pretty nice for medics, as you can revive people without hanging around waiting for them to get up to top them off. The only reason to not get it would be that you have something more important to cert first.

Does your medic have C4? And what kind of vehicles were you thinking about using?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11860 on: October 24, 2015, 11:11:42 pm »

Get the medic tool. I think the max rank provides a significant speed boost. It is a much better investment in certs than any of those other things you mentioned.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: November 05, 2015, 01:40:36 pm »

I maxed my medic tool and the healing shield.
I also have a piston with slugs, extended mags and a scope.
I'm actually feeling effective! Sometimes I can even get killstreaks!

Also, I joined a public platoon and we managed to hold off DaPP on Esamir for long enough for them to get bored and log off, after which we reduced the VS's 6 VP to 1 VP.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: November 05, 2015, 01:48:33 pm »

How's the VP system working?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: November 05, 2015, 02:12:35 pm »

Alerts awarding VPs now means they don't lock the continent unless someone is already well along, so the whole "alert ends and the fight dies" thing is mostly gone, so that's nice. The 10,000 XP award is also gone, making alerts that much more irrelevant, however.

Continents lock less frequently and warpgates rotate less frequently. Both happen still more regularly than I'd like, though.

If you're looking for a massive change to the game, then this isn't it, but I think it's progress. Gives a more clear reward/goal/target for conquering bases than "well it's next on the lattice".
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: November 05, 2015, 02:20:32 pm »

Yeah, it also solves the problem of "there's only ten minutes left on the alert, we might as well give up now".

Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 826