Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1073554 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11880 on: November 07, 2015, 10:47:02 pm »

Well, they removed the only real strong point of the Magrider ages ago (being able to climb hills and shit), but this is pretty much entirely useless so they probably won't.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11881 on: November 07, 2015, 11:23:00 pm »

Its fun hiding from the VS by hiding under their magriders...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11882 on: November 07, 2015, 11:35:12 pm »

I played on a Vanu character once or twice. I forget what happened but I was flying through the air, probably missed the jump pad to a biolab or something and landed on a magrider and somehow survived. He tried to run me over but I crouched under him, but he hovered over me so I couldn't move. I asked what the deal was and he was complaining about being weapons locked by me. Fortunately he couldn't block me from redeploying.

But anyways, when did they remove magrider's ability to climb stuff?

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: November 08, 2015, 12:10:54 am »

Have there been any performance improvements to the game lately? Last I checked I was only getting 20fps on my machine.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11884 on: November 08, 2015, 12:26:43 am »

I played on a Vanu character once or twice. I forget what happened but I was flying through the air, probably missed the jump pad to a biolab or something and landed on a magrider and somehow survived. He tried to run me over but I crouched under him, but he hovered over me so I couldn't move. I asked what the deal was and he was complaining about being weapons locked by me. Fortunately he couldn't block me from redeploying.

But anyways, when did they remove magrider's ability to climb stuff?

Way back in early 2014, IIRC. Used to be you could Magboost up pretty damn steep cliffs, even ramp off rocks to cross small gaps and stuff.

Because, y'know, that was the defining feature of the Magrider: it's supposed to be more maneuverable than the other MBTs. But people whined, and it got nerfed into uselessness. Now the Magboost is a short, weak speedup, and meanwhile we're stuck with shitty horizontal tracking and a terrible cone of fire, to the point where just about any other vehicle can kill a Magrider by circle-strafing it.

Back before the nerf the Magrider was actually pretty neat because you could get into all sorts of creative, advantageous positions to make up for the weaksauce guns and lack of turret. Now you're just flat out better off pulling a Lightning or Scythe, or a Harasser if you have friends, because TR and NC will win every head-to-head armor battle that has remotely even numbers, and you can't maneuver to outflank them through rough terrain like you used to.

3. Run Resize Enable

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11885 on: November 08, 2015, 08:00:04 am »

The Magrider got WORSE? What.

Have there been any performance improvements to the game lately? Last I checked I was only getting 20fps on my machine.
Interested in this myself. Integrated graphics, ftw.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11886 on: November 08, 2015, 03:28:53 pm »

To be fair, maneuverability is OP.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: November 08, 2015, 09:25:22 pm »

Against infantry it might be, but aside from long distance engagements you're not going to be dodging tank shells very effectively. Don't they also have the lowest projectile velocity? If so then a tank could dodge a magrider just as well at ranges where the mag's strafing would even be effective.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: November 08, 2015, 09:47:31 pm »

So as it turns out, if you jump into a teleporter with a platoon or so of maxes, you get both the opponent owning the other side of the teleporter being smashed up like you managed to drive a tank in there and the amusing sight of that many maxes charging about in a biolab, followed by the people who died showing back up as engys to actually cap things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: November 08, 2015, 09:51:54 pm »

Funny how I see the enemy using this tactic all the time but I never see an organized NC platoon do so.
Guess I should expect such from the NC *sigh*

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11890 on: November 08, 2015, 09:58:42 pm »

Huh, I only ever seem to see NC MAX crashing, never VS ('cause their MAXes got nerfed into the ground the one time they got something good), and rarely TR (since they're not as effective when spammed into CQC).

Against infantry it might be, but aside from long distance engagements you're not going to be dodging tank shells very effectively. Don't they also have the lowest projectile velocity? If so then a tank could dodge a magrider just as well at ranges where the mag's strafing would even be effective.
Pretty sure that that's true. Even the HV AP shells feel slower than Lightning HE, for example.

And, again, that shitty floor-level gun mount means that you can't shoot over obstacles or down steep hills, and the lack of turret means that you have to choose between dodging fire or aiming so that you can shoot back. The only good point is that when there's a traffic jam you can surf on top of other vehicles.

3. Run Resize Enable

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11891 on: November 08, 2015, 10:14:22 pm »

The magrider is almost strictly an Anti Infantry platform. Which they nerfed that into the ground as well, since evidently the PPA was far too good at its job. Which is accurate. It really was, and when you combined it with the magriders ability to be literally anywhere an infantry could get to, well. I've never played TR or NC, but I've been a part of the PPA rain squad, and it looked to me to be worse then a couple dozen ESFs floating overhead. Against a tank one on one in the open, its not too bad, as the strafing ensures your front armor well, should always be pointed at the tank your engaging. Anything more then 1 on 1 and you should pull a lightning though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11892 on: November 08, 2015, 10:18:10 pm »

We actually had 2ish platoons trying to cooperate over outfit chat at the time, Ozy. Ended up taking over two continents by the end of it and unlocking rez grenades for my medic, was pretty great. There was a lot of galaxies involved at one point.

If I see TR, its because we aren't fighting NC. And if we're fighting NC I rarely see more than a pair of maxes around. Instead, they tend to just rush at us with tanks if possible (if not, block progress with tanks or silly amounts of reavers, but not maxes. Maxes are apparently only for them to barge into small buildings with and kill VS/fall over)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: November 09, 2015, 01:16:26 pm »

TBH MAX crashes are a pretty cheap way of winning fights. It is endlessly frustrating to have a base at less than a minute to cap and the enemy stuck in their spawn, only to suddenly be faced with 96 MAX units from some DaPP fun-ruining platoon.

Vanu MAXes might have been nerfed, but they still melt infantry fairly easily and just as easily ruin fights.

Really, I've decided that the off-hours are the best times to play this game. Once the zergfits get one or more full platoons going, you just can't really do much because they'll just redeploy a squad to any base about to flip.
Unless you're playing in one of those platoons yourself. Which is the only option for a new player. Yay.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11894 on: November 09, 2015, 01:42:18 pm »

It wasn't particularly effective other than that time, to be fair. We did it maybe 4 times, and the latter two got demolished trying to attack indar ex. We just assumed it was payback for the first super-successful biolab rush, like the rest of that indar alert was. Unsurprisingly, the NC won the alert.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:44:17 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 826