Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1073262 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #12270 on: June 08, 2017, 05:37:56 pm »

Major update today.

All ground vehicle terminals can spawn MBTs as long as their faction holds a Tech Plant. Liberators also require a Tech Plant now, but are still pulled from air terminals. MBTs/Liberators can still be pulled from Warpgate regardless. Also, if an infiltrator hacks a Tech Plant vehicle terminal, then they can pull MBTs/Liberators from that terminal even if they don't own a Tech Plant.

Amerish, Indar, and Esamir's cost reduction benefits for locking them are gone, replaced with shitty benefits. Amerish causes destroyed base shield generators/SCUs to regenerate. Indar takes over the Amp Station benefit of reducing base turret heat(Amps just provide turret regen now). Esamir provides infantry shield regen on connected territoryCITATION NEEDED. Hossin's bonus is unchanged. Considering that I rarely pull anything bigger than a Sunderer without a cost reduction bonus, I'm not happy about this change.

Ikanam Biolab and Subterranean Nanite Analysis have been nuked. Ikanam is their new vehicle capture schtick, SNA is now just a tank grinder.

All (surviving) Biolabs have had their domes replaced(now opaque) and all(except Indar's, to come later) have had performance optimizations. Other bases have had changes.

Tanks(except Magrider which didn't need it) have been patched for better slope handling, so hopefully no more mulitrack slope drifting.

Spotting devices now only look at player stance to determine detection range(I thought that was already the case, oh well).

New NSX series shotgun: the Tengu. Not sure if overpowered or overpriced.

New, shitty implants, including class-specific ones. New implants include permanent blindness infravision, replacing your shield with more health, and shanking someone makes you invisible. Class specific ones are: LA - kill for more jumpjuice, HA - overshield recovers faster, Medic - healtool use recovers your area heal power, Engie - tougher deployables if near them, Infil - you're actually invisible now.

Target Focus, Safeguard, and all T2 common implants are removed from implant bundles(the first two you already have, so getting one was a big middle finger).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #12271 on: June 10, 2017, 12:55:48 am »

so people still play this?
I got nothing

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: June 10, 2017, 07:39:25 am »

I would, if I didn't have only a toaster. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12273 on: June 10, 2017, 05:01:08 pm »

I would, if I didn't have only a toaster. :P

It's fairly old, you can probably run it on a toaster.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12274 on: June 10, 2017, 05:11:47 pm »

No, I can't. Trust me, I've tried.  :-[

I mean, it does run. It's not enjoyable at 5-10 FPS though.  :P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: July 26, 2017, 05:07:23 pm »

Major update. Main change is significant restructuring of Indar, especially the TI Alloys/Ceres Hydroponics/Crown cluster(fuck), which has had major terrain revisions.

Other changes include a new NS pistol that's basically a clone of the TR's starter pistol(ie it burstfires), a set of decal weapons and a directive set for them. Also was reduced the time before infantry shields recharge but a slower rate to reach full shield - was 10 seconds to start(8 for engi) and 4 seconds to full, now 6 to start(4 for engi) and 6 seconds to full. The Advanced Shield Capacitor now speeds up the rate of recharge(used to reduce delay before charge), a max cert rank, it takes 3 seconds to fully recharge.

Another change is that now 3 continents can be locked at once(used to be 2), but reduced the players online threshold to open another continent.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: July 26, 2017, 06:44:28 pm »

That last bit there tells me pop is really starting to hurt. Haven't played in probably a year or so, myself. Only time I could really play was past midnight Eastern Time, and as NC on Connery that meant having to face overwhelming numbers of VS. Then when I got the ability to play during the day we were being overrun by TR. It was fun for a while, underdog fights and all that, but I don't play games to get stomped into dust.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12277 on: July 26, 2017, 07:41:48 pm »

That last bit there tells me pop is really starting to hurt.

That's what it sounds like to me. All too often whenever I logged in I was thrown into a continent(all too often Hossin for that matter) where there was at most a dozen people per faction, while all the action was on the other open continent.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: August 02, 2017, 09:37:53 am »

I'd seen a thing on the planetside reddit recently which was basically 'We know about all these problems but we don't have the people to actually get them done, h1z1 is taking up most of the resources and people here because its making more money'.

Because of course the boring game gets more attention than the actually different mmofps.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #12279 on: August 02, 2017, 02:39:27 pm »

Dammit frikkin zombie survival game is more popular than the massive open world space shooter this doesn't make sense.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: August 02, 2017, 03:31:41 pm »

I feel few even know what PS2 is. Or they played it when it had problems (it still has those problems :P) and just aren't interested in waiting long between fights (which has actually improved a lot since way back when). There's also a LOT less community engagement (have you tried watching PS2 streams? :/) and basically everyone who's left is a... "salty vet", according to Reddit. Or a friend of theirs, who they got into the game recently.

Personally, I've been having a blast the last few weeks, the only thing I get really annoyed about are overpop (well, it happens... a lot... but w/e) and people being leagues better than me. Oh, and AV Harassers...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: August 06, 2017, 01:09:35 am »

It does make sense, planetside 2 is a dumbed down game that tries its hardest to appeal to those "aren't interested in waiting" people, who still have no interest because they still dont want to wait the two seconds to get to the next xp heavy meatgrinder. The xp fountain everyone needs because of how incredibly grindy the game is.

So, they failed to impressed the instant gratification crowd, and the other people wont be interested in the dumbed down game, so whats left? People who love grinding? people who bought in and dont want to leave because they're invested? There just isnt a huge market for it. The progression minded player gets nothing from planetside 2 because of how sparse upgrades and new weapons are, competetive minded players get nothing because of the sloppy game and lack of meaning in accomplishing anything, instant gratification players get nothing, core players will be bored by a combination of all these things. I guess builder type players get bases now, yay?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:11:49 am by Mattk50 »

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12282 on: August 07, 2017, 07:48:12 am »

What has driven my outfit (of about 20 players) and likely lots of other competitively minded players away has been the completely horrible map design, especially the bases.
There really is no excuse to force 100+ players into something that is the size of a 8 player Unreal Tournament map. Not only the size, but the design itself as well, often creating pure meatgrinders that are, tactically speaking, completely boring. There isn't really any way for interesting gameplay to emerge when there are just 2 doors leading to the objective and about 60 enemy players behind each of them.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: August 07, 2017, 12:29:39 pm »

You more-or-less summarized why I play Infiltrator. And to a lesser extent LA and Engie (can't get camped if you Skyguard...)
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12284 on: September 07, 2017, 06:04:55 am »

Apparently they're doing a public test tomorrow for a major new update. Looks like they're changing continent lock mechanics, and one of the developers, known for his mohawk, will be dyeing his mohawk to the color of the faction that wins(currently, he's rocking NC blue).
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 826