Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1073085 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #12360 on: May 13, 2019, 05:19:55 pm »

On the bright side, I'm getting 50-70 fps in major battles on high/ultra settings now as opposed to 15-30. That alone was enough to draw me back for a while.

I've had the opposite experience, I had to set everything to medium. Otherwise, the game keeps freezing up every few frames even though the fps counter stays at 40fps. Everything at medium isn't great, especially since it's nearly impossible to see infiltrator cloaks. And since flashlights are still broken(they reveal cloaks, but the normal light is gone and there's no indication that it's on or what its effect area is), more people are going for infiltrator.

Also, is there a way to set the frame cap over 40fps? In UserSettings.ini the fps cap is set to 250(for some reason), but in game it stays at 40.
PC or Playstation? I'd heard that the latter is basically SOL.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12361 on: May 13, 2019, 07:37:28 pm »

I got myself a power knife and have been having a lot of fun with it, I was surprised about how quiet it is. It's just a gentle hum when activated, no one can hear it if there's more than a dozen people fighting. It's really good as it is, especially at night, but there's apparently an implant that gives you a semi-cloak on melee kill that you can attack during. That sounds dirty.

Implants in general feel like they've gone in a more questionable direction. Things like Carapace, Athlete, and the Nightmare implant I mentioned above are just a bit too... direct, I guess? Back when the implant system was new, none of the implants had a direct combat advantage. You weren't going to lose a fair fight and be like "oh, I lost because that heavy had X implant", because there were only things like rangefinder, regen, minesweeper, etc. Really high level implants were also incredibly rare back then, almost everyone was just running around with Regen I and Enhanced Rangefinder. Now you can expect almost everyone to be running top tier implants at all times.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12362 on: May 13, 2019, 08:47:52 pm »

That sounds dirty.
Especially considering you can activate it while cloaked, and can probably shank someone before you've fully decloaked.

I haven't found implants to be too gamebreaking, though. I forget which one(PRE-EDIT: Avoidance), but there's one that completely ignores mines, I think? That one's kinda bad, and probably why I see far very AP mines around than before the implant changes. Been a while since I've looked at the implants, and almost never upgrade the ones I have. Regen/Target Focus for most situations, Regen/Ammo Printer for heavy, Sweeper HUD(for the rangefinder) for infil. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use Phylactery.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:29 am »

Phylactery for anti-infantry MAXes seems relatively popular.

My guess is, they're using PS2 as a testbed for what they're doing with Planetside Arena.

I think PSA is basically dead as it was originally intended. They had a stroke of luck that Apex Legends released enough ahead of time for them to slam the brakes and rethink entirely.
I don't know where they're heading (maybe large-team deathmatch or something as the main attraction?) but it's good that they stopped the release, at least.
Also, I'm far from convinced that PS2 will be canned. The influx of players after the DX11 patch probably showed management that it's still worth keeping around. ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: June 06, 2019, 04:41:42 pm »

Also, I'm far from convinced that PS2 will be canned.

I agree, mainly because there's really no other game does what PS2 does: open-world conquest FPS. WWII Online is the only other one that comes to mind, but is even more dated than PS2.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: June 06, 2019, 05:49:15 pm »

Also, I'm far from convinced that PS2 will be canned.

I agree, mainly because there's really no other game does what PS2 does: open-world conquest FPS. WWII Online is the only other one that comes to mind, but is even more dated than PS2.
PlanetSide was a massively-multiplayer online first-person-shooter video game published by Sony Online Entertainment and released on May 20, 2003.[1]
World War II Online is a massively multiplayer online first-person shooter (MMOFPS) video game developed by Playnet (later Cornered Rat Software) and published by Strategy First. It was released in 2001, for Microsoft Windows, with a Mac OS version being released in 2002. World War II Online was re-released in 2006 under the new name of World War II Online: Battleground Europe.
Older than Planetside 1 in fact

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: March 24, 2020, 05:14:12 pm »

Welp, I tried logging in after I guess half a year of not playing, only to find that after a forced password reset error'd out my account is banned. No reason given. So, yeah, fuck these guys and I hope they all get sick and die.

EDIT: Welp, the above is no longer applicable. When I had my username sent to my email, it sent two usernames. Again, I have no idea why there were two, but I assumed both were tied to the same account. They weren't. One was banned, the other is not it seems.

Looking what's changed in the past several months, it seem like being part of an outfit(this game's version of guild/clan) is almost a requirement now to get anything done.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:39:52 am by Akura »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12367 on: March 25, 2020, 06:14:37 pm »

While it does kind of seem that way and it does suck a little for the nonaffiliated, they seem to be accommodating the dedicated playerbase that logs in more frequently than once or twice a year (which I am guilty of as well). Which is better than them focusing on accommodating the fuckin ESF mains at least.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12368 on: July 03, 2020, 05:20:46 am »

this game is still going? wow

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12369 on: July 03, 2020, 07:37:53 pm »

Yes, although I would say the quality of the game is dropping pretty fast. The last six months or so, they've added several things that mostly benefit just the massive zerg outfits(on Emerald that'd be Angels of Death for TR, Sokaal's Legion for VS, I don't actually know what for NC). For example, the Bastion carrier and(most recently) the Colossus meant to counter it(I've yet to see one do so). Bother require a strategic resource only gained by an outfit that captures a territory - this is determined by the outfit with the most members on the territory at the moment of capture. Smaller outfits are therefore much less likely to gain resources, and non-outfit players(like me) get nothing.

Game balance is completely shagged. Always been, but seems to be getting worse lately. Harassers and Magriders are still the rulers of vehicle combat, of course, followed by Vanguards and stealth Flashes(Prowlers, as always, are worthless). I've lost armor duels using AP against someone with HEAT or HESH, because despite AP being the anti-vehicle shot both HEAT and HEST out-DPS it. 9 times out of 10, I'll find that the VS and NC are teaming up to attack the TR(I play TR, so...). TR in general is just bad, both mechanically - high RoF means less accuracy, which people seem to ignore when calculating DPS/TTK stats, to say nothing of the server not registering hits properly - and in terms of players. I've seen the TR push about 80%-90% of the map in the first 30 minutes of an alert only to blow it because the bulk of people in that push fuck off somewhere to find their next farm rather than stick to defending what was taken. I've seen too many bases lost because the idiots I'm fighting next to are too busy charging right at the enemy rather than do something smart like going after their Sunderer or retaking the point.

Oddly enough I don't see too much issue with ESFs anymore. Obviously, I can't air-to-air worth a damn, and even after watching a tutorial video on the method of two fighters just floating there shooting each other in the face I can't do it. It's stupid, I hate it, and that's never going to change. However, A2G fighters don't seem to be very problematic anymore, even when I do it.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: July 03, 2020, 08:20:42 pm »

Harassers are good now? Did they get a massive buff or something? Last I played they had that laughable nerf that made them die in like two hits to basically everything.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:24:39 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12371 on: July 03, 2020, 08:22:17 pm »

(protip: don't hit quote when you mean to hit edit.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:24:33 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: July 03, 2020, 09:08:47 pm »

Takes about 4-5 now. A crewed Harasser, or a solo with good reflexes to change seats, can easily zip off and repair. With or without multiple crew, they repair faster than a Lightning(which is always solo) or MBT, so it's unlikely that the latter will fully repair before the Harasser returns. Likewise, a solo Lightning is effectively stationary as the driver repairs(who is also vulnerable to sniping), so it can't expect to chase after the faster Harasser which, if crewed, is capable of both repairing and returning fire or running. All for less than half the cost of the Lightning.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12373 on: July 03, 2020, 10:15:27 pm »

It costs fewer nanites, but nanites are a far less important resource than the one it costs twice as much in: crew.

If I'm going through all the work of getting a friend to sign on, and deal with the challenges of coordinating two people, I'd actually like to be rewarded more than if I just hopped in my Lightning and did it myself. Wish someone at DBG could have realized that years ago...

I'll have to look into the Harasser again I guess, might be fun to give it another go.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12374 on: July 04, 2020, 07:13:53 am »

It costs fewer nanites, but nanites are a far less important resource than the one it costs twice as much in: crew.

This is the same argument that everyone defending the Harasser uses, and while it isn't wrong at all, I still have disagreements with it. Consider this: if two players working in tandem switch spawning Harassers as they're destroyed, then the nanite cost per pull for each player is less. Also, a two-man Harasser is more likely to beat two Lightnings for most of the same reasons it'll beat one Lightning, while the Lightnings still have the same cost that each of the tankers still have to pay.

I've been playing with solo Harassers lately. Been pretty fun, even though I mostly just snipe people with the Halberd launcher. Gotta remember to lock it, because there's always that asshole who jumps in and starts firing the weapon at random.
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826