Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1073379 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 03:50:59 am »

I've been keeping an eye on this as I used to play for about three years from about 18 months after it launched, until I lost my net connection when I left uni. Back in those days there were sufficient players that organised pop-locking of a continent to keep numbers stacked on your side was a viable and frequently used tactic.

That Liberator is looking amazing I just can't wait to fly one.
Agreed.

Also I'm still playing Planetside (1), is anyone else doing so? TR represent!

Who want's to be the walking practice targets? ;P VS slaughters them all!

The fact that it's going to be F2P without being P2W is even better.

Somehow I doubt that.

As far as I know, it's heavily focused on metric tonnes of cosmetics, to go with the new vehicle customization.

That's what TB said in his Liberator gameplay video, anyway.

I would be very impressed with a F2P game if they limited purchases to only cosmetics.  I still doubt it greatly though.

Super MNC have done this, and it seems to be working quite well.

On Planetside 2 we really should start platoon/squad/team to maximize the fun :)

Yes. From what I've heard you will be limited to joining one faction per server, so we should pick a server for each faction so we can all join up.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:55:55 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 06:03:08 am »

TR. TR. TR. TR. TR.

If you guys go anything else I'll mount your heads on poles outside my base.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 06:33:55 am »

Sounds like fun, perhaps when I move out and have a decent rig, I'll play this.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 06:37:42 am »

Like said above, VS pwn j00 in PS and will pwnz in PS2 :P enouogh for leet talk.
As reading Ps forums the player numbers are really down?
Would be fun to play it again :/

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 07:17:37 am »

Incredibly looking forward to this. Played the first one a bit back in the day. Not sure why I stopped...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 10:00:27 am »

On Planetside 2 we really should start platoon/squad/team to maximize the fun :)

Yes. From what I've heard you will be limited to joining one faction per server, so we should pick a server for each faction so we can all join up.
Agreed. Even though TR is my favorite, I'd be willing to join another faction to stick with all other B12ers.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 10:24:26 am »

What faction are we going to play anyway? My vote goes to TR.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 10:36:10 am »

Funny how in the thread majority wants TR yet in the poll NC wins o.O

Also in PS1 i was NC i would like to stick with it but if need im open to join other faction. But you better bring me some mag rifle!!!!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 10:38:38 am »

New Conglomerate! I like the idea of playing as a bunch of scrappy rebels/freedom fighters.  It fits in well with my core political beliefs.  Though the Vanu sound really awesome too.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 10:44:44 am »

I would be very impressed with a F2P game if they limited purchases to only cosmetics.  I still doubt it greatly though.

Super MNC have done this, and it seems to be working quite well.

Don't you buy whole classes in that one?  That is far from cosmetic.

From the wiki: 
Super Monday Night Combat also includes a microtransaction system, where players can buy new Pros, uniforms, taunts, weapon skins, and temporary Combat Credit boosts with real money. Players also can purchase new Pros, Endorsements (which buffs statistics while sometimes nerfing other statistics), and Products (special perks) with Combat Credits
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:47:43 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 10:54:37 am »

I wait this with guarded optimism. SOE and F2P are quite the warning signs, but on the other hand, I really want another Planetside (or a game similar to it). My hopes for it are on Planetside 2 or Dark Millennium Online. Let's see how they'll fare.

Edit: Just saw this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-29-thq-warhammer-40-000-dark-millenium-is-no-longer-an-mmo
Oh well, Help me, Planetside 2. You're my only hope.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:57:26 am by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 11:07:46 am »

...F2P are quite the warning signs...
In my opinion, F2P games are the best games (when they have a good marketing model). Tribes: Ascend and TF2 are great examples of F2P done right, and all purchasable things in PS2 will be cosmetic.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 11:25:29 am »

...F2P are quite the warning signs...
In my opinion, F2P games are the best games (when they have a good marketing model). Tribes: Ascend and TF2 are great examples of F2P done right, and all purchasable things in PS2 will be cosmetic.
Isn't it that cosmetic upgrades are money-only and sidegrades are money-or-exp (like LoL or T:A)?  While I'll say that there are advantages to F2P (namely, that the game must retain player interest so success is more dependent on quality than marketing), there's still the fact that it provides a financial incentive against balance.

In the end, though, the gameplay looks like it might be fun and the lack of competition, due to developers equating "MMO" with "inferior, buggy WoW with a gimmick" instead of exploring the potential of the mechanic, will likely cause me to overlook a few warts.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 01:06:27 pm »

I wouldn't say it provides a financial incentive against balance, if you make it obviously P2W then people will ignore your game entirely, either because it'll seem like a waste of time to deal with the people who can afford to spend money on epic tier virtual weaponry agaists your standard stuff, or the principle of it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 01:10:25 pm »

I wouldn't say it provides a financial incentive against balance, if you make it obviously P2W then people will ignore your game entirely, either because it'll seem like a waste of time to deal with the people who can afford to spend money on epic tier virtual weaponry agaists your standard stuff, or the principle of it.

People (to my eternal rage) seem pretty accepting of slight "pay to win" advantages these days.  Most people don't even consider things pay to win as long as you can earn it in game by grinding for thousands of hours.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 826