Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1073778 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: In beta MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3361 on: October 19, 2012, 11:21:44 pm »

ARgh, I give up, people flickering and warping everywhere, driving me mad!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: October 19, 2012, 11:23:06 pm »

For the record:

Intel Core2 Duo 6600 (2.4GHz)
2 gig ram
GeForce 8800 GTS (probably the problem)

DF doesn't count  :P   Also, didn't the 40d upgrades add some dual-core support?  Or am I just misremembering the graphical upgrades?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: October 19, 2012, 11:34:24 pm »

The game requires ridiculous specs to run well. I have a quad-core 3.8 gig processor, 16 MBs of RAM, and a GTX 550 Ti video card, and I still have issues. The game is optimized worse than Minecraft ever was.
Nothing important here, move along.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: October 19, 2012, 11:47:03 pm »

A quick trip to Newegg confirms that I am way, way, way out of date when it comes to building PCs.  I built this one myself with handpicked parts- now I browse the front page of Newegg and think "CPU and GPU in one chip?  Zomg!"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: October 19, 2012, 11:48:49 pm »

The onboard GPUs in CPUs aren't particularly good, getting an actual card is recommended if you plan to do much of anything. I hear it's helpful for things like video processing though.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: October 19, 2012, 11:53:29 pm »

Either PlanetSide 2 has some amazing background mechanics that no-one knows about yet or the staff needs to take lessons on optimization.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: October 20, 2012, 12:03:58 am »

I still have some faith tough, i gained around 5 fps with the last optimization, its still only 20 or so when hell breaks lose but something is something, i read somewere that they expected this to be playable on 5 yo PCs, while i think that its madness i do hope they improve it.
BTW: I can rise the game quality without experiencing any significant fps drop so i bet the big issue is with the proccesor or the memory dunno.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3368 on: October 20, 2012, 12:22:01 am »

The game requires ridiculous specs to run well. I have a quad-core 3.8 gig processor, 16 MBs of RAM, and a GTX 550 Ti video card, and I still have issues. The game is optimized worse than Minecraft ever was.

I have a quad-core 3.8 gig processor, 16 MBs of RAM, and a GTX 550 Ti video card, and I still have issues.

16 MBs of RAM

Well, there's your problem.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: October 20, 2012, 12:24:26 am »

I think it's mostly the server's fault, to be honest. The server doesn't seem to have enough processing speed to handle everything. Either that or the server itself has a bad internet connection.

I have a quad-core 3.8 gig processor, 16 MBs of RAM, and a GTX 550 Ti video card, and I still have issues.

16 MBs of RAM

Well, there's your problem.

GBs, sorry, despite having been using computers since I knew how to press buttons and move a mouse, I can't remember the difference sometimes because my brain is evil like that.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: October 20, 2012, 01:35:52 am »

Hitch-hiking seems to be working for me.
Just jump on board the first tank with an empty turret, resist the urge to be a tool, shoot a few scythes and mosquitoes out of the air and the driver generally doesn't ask you to piss off.

It was a good day for skeet shooting.

And, yeah, my FPS has gone up from 14 to 18/19, so some small improvement.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: October 20, 2012, 01:45:20 am »

I had a sort of nice experience earlier. Grabbed a flash with HA loadout and headed for the nearest combat area on Esamir. Long before I got to the base I ran into an enemy sunderer and two lightnings. Dodged between the hills and saw a friendly sunderer down in a valley. Just drove past it and over a hill. Enemy sunderer either didn't notice or couldn't turn around because of the terrain. Friendly sunderer compliment deploys and lays into the enemy vehicles as they file at us one by one. I manage to last hit a lightning with a lucky rocket, but the others took out the rest. I grabbed a ride from the sunderer as it passed by me and we head on to the base and end up staying there till it was captured. Sunderer ended up taking a few MBT blasts and died so it was back to the flash again for me. But even if it was only for 15 minutes or so, that small group was pretty darn good together... not even sure if they were a squad.

Then PS2 decided to piss me off with repeated CTDs. It's never been this bad before.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: October 20, 2012, 02:05:49 am »

So......What would be a good video card to get?

The GTX 650 with 2 GB?

Any other suggestions?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: October 20, 2012, 02:16:37 am »

Any of the GTX series in or past the 500s should do you well enough. There's a lot of people saying that Moore's Law is coming to an end as computer hardware reaches the limits of macro-scale physics. Until they start inventing atom-scale or quantum computers (or just making larger or higher clocked computers with better heat support the norm), anything made within the last few years should be staying near the peak of performance.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: October 20, 2012, 02:18:08 am »

So I've been running this game relatively fine on low for the past few days.  Have a 9800gtx 1 gig, an AMD x2 240 2.8 processor.  All of a sudden, my performance has been crap lately, been searching online and seems like a lot of people have this problem.  Is the game saving storing a bunch of files somewhere and its taking more and more resources as it piles up?
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 826