Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1073479 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: In beta MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3420 on: October 21, 2012, 01:59:56 pm »

I had such an amazing time today when NC managed to get together an insanely huge armoured attack going. I'd like to call it a column but it was more of an armoured total fuck-up. It's a miracle we got forward at all. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Anyway, I was just chilling in a Sundy turret at the back of the group, chatting with the driver and shooting down enemy aircraft. There was this amazing moment when an enemy Liberator decided to come over the hill at the upwards slope to the Crown... and saw the massive amounts of tanks and Sundies there, waiting. The sky just filled with fire and it went down in just a couple of seconds. It was magnificent.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: October 21, 2012, 03:06:47 pm »

Was helping to hold Eisa Munitions from a Vanu advance. Vanu don't seem to be very bright. They had an entire platoon of tanks... which they proceeded to ride one-by-one into the facility, where me and about 5 or 6 other HAs awaited. They didn't have a platoon of tanks for much longer.
Nothing important here, move along.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: October 21, 2012, 03:08:55 pm »

I've noted Vanu magriders all concentrated around the base where you can buy them before, instead of driving somewhere useful - or attacking the crown from the south, which never seems to work, so I'm wondering, is the NC any smarter?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: October 21, 2012, 03:19:20 pm »

The TR, at least, seem to have a very active warpgate. Gals are constantly flying in, loading up and taking off, and there's rarely a ground vehicle that isn't either there to meet up with someone else or leaving.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: October 21, 2012, 03:54:15 pm »

Oh gods, I can't stand the Vanguard. I just had a Lightning drive around me in circles where I was in a vanguard, and I got killed because I could only hit him with half my shots while I just sat still.

Going back to Vanu, where that can't happen because Magriders can strafe...

Edit: And got shot down in a scythe in about 1.5 seconds by a dual burster max who I couldn't even see. This game.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:05:34 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3425 on: October 21, 2012, 04:46:15 pm »

I've never had a problem killing lightnings in a vanguard. Never been killed by just a lightning in one either. I've even taken on 2 lightnings at once and won handily. You just can't let them get behind you, the worst thing you can do is just sit still and let them circle around you.

I had a fun play session today, but sadly never noticed anyone else in the outfit online.

Been fighting on Esamir. A bit after we had taken the biolab on the W side of the map (I forget the name, one on the edge) I went back there to get more ammo in my vanguard. Got my tank killed when I went around the side after an infantry and wound up driving up on a sunderer and a bunch of heavy assault people. Got about 8 kills before they wore my tank down with rockets and I had to bail out, then 2 more before they shot me. I then went back with heavy assault and managed to successfully spawn camp them at their sunderer. I got like 15 cert points in a couple minutes of killing the same 4 people over and over until another NC guy came and finished off their sunderer (I had used all my rockets to damage it, got the sunderer kill assist though). I had just been mowing them down over and over as they appeared. Was down to a mere 20 rounds in my heavy's machine gun, so if the other guy hadn't showed up I would have had to swap to pistol and probably died. Was getting extermination bonuses for a while there, heheh.

A bit later I was out in a lightning with skyguard shooting down liberators and scythes as they flew by. Got 5 libs and at least 10 scythes before a magrider snuck up on me and took me out. I came right back with a vanguard and killed the magrider that had got me (vengeance bonus woo) and then proceeded to shoot down two more liberators and 4 scythes with the main tank gun. The libs took two shots each. I can't take all the credit though, the pilots were nice enough to fly in straight lines for me. I eventually got killed by a combination of a lib and a scythe with rockets, but I did surprisingly well in an anti-air role using the main tank gun.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: October 21, 2012, 04:51:52 pm »

That's Planetside, baby! =p  Don't rush your shots fighting a lightning, and always keep moving in tank combat.  A Vanguard can kill a lightning in one hit from behind.

Magrider strafe is great, but they've got the lightest armor of all the tanks.  I've noticed that Mag drivers are pretty aware of this, so that's why they mostly stick to hit and run.  Vanguard is heaviest with the strongest main gun, prowler's in the middle for both.  Was in an AT-gunned prowler with the rocket launcher secondary today... we killed 4 Magriders and 2 Lightnings between me and the driver.  It was like Dwarven Battle Focus.

Anyone else think the basic VS infantry weapons are a little unbalanced?  Seems to me like they have way too little recoil for the damage they put out and their RoF.  From a TR perspective, all our basic weapons have so much muzzle climb that if you fire any longer than 2-3 shot bursts your accuracy disappears, whereas I've seen VS guys going rock-and-roll on full auto at 100m and having every shot hit.  I mean, in PS the Cycler for example couldn't hold a candle to the Gauss at long range, but won out in close-quarters while the Vanu rifle was decent at both but better at neither, but right now it seems VS infantry weapons are better across the board than their TR or NC counterparts.  Meh, see how it is at release.  On the flip side, seems like Magriders and Scythes could use a boost if anything.  They're practically made of paper.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:55:33 pm by Seraphim342 »
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3427 on: October 21, 2012, 05:03:10 pm »

I'm kinda envious of the Prowler's fire rate against infantry. The lower damage shells probably aren't as great against other tanks, but man can they kill infantry.

Of all the tanks, the Vanguard is probably the least scary to infantry. A good magrider pilot can run in and strafe over a bunch of infantry and roadkill them all (I've seen it done and tried it once myself to some success). The prowler gets two separate shots that can both one shot an infantryman, so it's pretty unlikely that they'll miss you with both. The vanguard only gets the one shot and isn't all that maneuverable, so if they miss with that shot you have a pretty good chance of killing them if you're packing rockets. When I was messing around on Vanu to try out the magrider I spawned as a HA and managed to kill two vanguards one after another just by running up to them, having them miss their shot, then putting two rockets in their back.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: October 21, 2012, 06:10:22 pm »

That's Planetside, baby! =p  Don't rush your shots fighting a lightning, and always keep moving in tank combat.  A Vanguard can kill a lightning in one hit from behind.

Magrider strafe is great, but they've got the lightest armor of all the tanks.  I've noticed that Mag drivers are pretty aware of this, so that's why they mostly stick to hit and run.  Vanguard is heaviest with the strongest main gun, prowler's in the middle for both.  Was in an AT-gunned prowler with the rocket launcher secondary today... we killed 4 Magriders and 2 Lightnings between me and the driver.  It was like Dwarven Battle Focus.

Anyone else think the basic VS infantry weapons are a little unbalanced?  Seems to me like they have way too little recoil for the damage they put out and their RoF.  From a TR perspective, all our basic weapons have so much muzzle climb that if you fire any longer than 2-3 shot bursts your accuracy disappears, whereas I've seen VS guys going rock-and-roll on full auto at 100m and having every shot hit.  I mean, in PS the Cycler for example couldn't hold a candle to the Gauss at long range, but won out in close-quarters while the Vanu rifle was decent at both but better at neither, but right now it seems VS infantry weapons are better across the board than their TR or NC counterparts.  Meh, see how it is at release.  On the flip side, seems like Magriders and Scythes could use a boost if anything.  They're practically made of paper.

Have you tried the VS weapons? Yeah, they're pretty accurate, but given almost any face to face encounter the VS is going to end up on the losing side. Their damage is terrible compared to both the NC and the TR. The accuracy is still not that great either. The recoil is still enough that full auto is hard to do at all beyond 100 meters. (Although today I was using it somewhat effectively since there was a group of 30-50 NC all on foot and all bunched up in one small area... In that situation though, it'd be hard to not hit SOMETHING with any of the guns.)

Still, VS are pretty good open field, but once you get inside somewhere, the advantage goes away completely. Only thing that might be slightly unbalanced is the VS sniper rifle. Absolutely no bullet drop compensation makes for really easy shots. The semi-auto, with proper timing will let you get 2-3 shots on target most of the time before they bother to move. Have not tried the bolt action yet. If it's a one shot kill, then I'd say that it's really unbalanced but somehow I doubt it is or at least I doubt it is for anything heavier than infiltrator armor. Still, we do get the crappiest pistol in the game, so :P

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: October 21, 2012, 06:29:50 pm »

Bolt-actions are 1-shot kill if you hit in the head, but a torso shot usually does enough damage that you could let them recharge their shields and still kill them with the second shot. The Vanu also do have bullet drop, but it's significantly less than equivalent TR and NC weapons.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: October 21, 2012, 06:42:59 pm »

...snip...
On the flip side, seems like Magriders and Scythes could use a boost if anything.  They're practically made of paper.
I wiped out a Magrider with the HMG on top of a Vanguard - not only do the Magrider's look like big, purple croissants, they also have the armour of a croissant, (mmmmm, flakey pastry, yum).
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: October 21, 2012, 06:47:31 pm »

I've tried both now, and the Vanu weapons do in fact do less damage than the TR ones for equivalent classes.  I was using my engie's crappy "assault rifle" as reference which is why it seemed higher.  I was getting owned in close-combat against Vanu most of the time, but I figured out that was mostly due to my aim-down-the-sights addiction.  Wasn't as much of a problem with NC because their guns have the rate of fire of a muzzle-loader.  Stopped using ADS and just "hip-firing" and I've noticed I do much, much better.  So, complaint withdrawn.  Except for the lack of bullet drop on sniper rifles.  That ain't f'ar!  I was wondering why VS snipers always seemed to get way more 1-shot kills than anyone else...  now I know.  And knowing, according to GI Joe, is half the battle.

Currently weapons locked because 2 guys were standing on the vehicle pad when my Prowler spawned and it listed me as having killed them even though I had no control of the vehicle.  Sitting in the WG right now letting my grief dissipate because immediately after that a friendly ATV rammed me and exploded, which also credited me as the killer...

...that's Planetside, baby!  =D

P.S.  Yes, the Predator is very nice and I love it oh so much.  It is worse at Anti-Tank than a Vanguard in a stand-up fight, though.  Even with upgraded frontal armor, I only tied an un-upgraded Vanguard shot-for shot... we both assploded at the same time.  On the move it's great though, since if you miss with the first shot you can still hit with the second and at least do 1/2 the damage instead of none.  It's probably my favorite vehicle so far.  Has anyone tried the main gun upgrades?  Wondering how much of a difference the AP/HE makes and if it's worth the certs. 

*EDIT*  Weapon lock ended, played for half an hour, then a cloaked friendly ran out from behind a building as I was driving by in my Skyguard Lightning at 60kph... I'm just gonna call it a night. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:59:51 pm by Seraphim342 »
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: October 21, 2012, 08:00:03 pm »

I like aiming down the sights, I take the millisecond to aim down the sights and more of my bullets hit and my enemy dies.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55:21 pm »

There's way too many tanktards on tonight, and one especially, dangerous for anyone to be on the ground with him ramming everything in sight.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: October 21, 2012, 10:13:27 pm »

Any other light assault players on here? I was wondering what advice you had concerning spending your certs. Either of the other guns worthwhile?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 826