Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1068080 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: In beta MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3390 on: October 20, 2012, 05:04:11 pm »

The galaxy is pretty good when upgraded significantly. There are tons of upgrades available but it is going to take a lot of time or cash to fully kit it out.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: October 20, 2012, 05:32:43 pm »

In last night's session, before server shut down, I was with a convoy of about twenty NC tanks and assorted others.  Tactics consisted of hit-and-run, always on the move, never defend.

Is that what you are seeing on your worlds/servers?

Those who choose planes are obviously asking to be killed - air superiority does not exist here.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: October 20, 2012, 05:53:43 pm »

Constant offense is generally more profitable than defense. It's easier to coordinate a successful attack than successful defense, unless you're in a large squad with a lot of communication.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: October 20, 2012, 08:52:29 pm »

Those who choose planes are obviously asking to be killed - air superiority does not exist here.

This has gone back and forth over time. Also, planes are the quickest way to take undefended points (but they tend to explode while landing or taking off if you land inside an outpost in among the buildings, or try to land on a roof, instead of outside it, as there is no convenient top-down view for fighters).

I have one character in each faction on Thebe, but have mostly only been playing Vanu (and only rarely) since I liked them the most, and offline cert gain seemed to not be working at all, so I'd effectively be starting over even though I made all three at the same time (not that I have amassed very many certs - I haven't been able to get any sights, vehicle upgrades, or weapons).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:56:05 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: October 20, 2012, 09:03:59 pm »

Thebes keeps dumping me out every now and then, and now I have to wait for nearly an hour 'cause of the 300-odd people in the queue waiting to get in.

CTD's are often, idk if their system can handle 2,000 users at once.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: October 20, 2012, 09:10:14 pm »

I have never had a CDT and iv played quite a bit.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: October 20, 2012, 09:13:05 pm »

I've had two today, plus three server disconnections.

Granted, one disconnection was the pilot trying to go off the map, but still.....

Best moment so far has been watching a galaxy pilot learning how to fly, he obviiously hit the wrong key and ejected, only to have the Galaxy land on him, squish, then the Galaxy fills up with troops, yelling for the pilot to hurry up and lift-off......fun times.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:18:49 pm by Darkening Kaos »

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: October 20, 2012, 09:34:36 pm »

I'd love to join up with you guys, but I play TR.  I'd roll an NC character, but..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for planes getting killed often, as far as I can tell there was a character wipe fairly recently, so I doubt anyone has them fully upgraded.  The base models are only decent at air to air or anti-infantry if you're good, but rocket pods dominate vehicles.  Plus there are upgrades to protect you from small-arms and flak, make you invisible on radar, as well as faster and more agile.  Got my first two air-to-air kills with my Mossie today against two Reavers, so I'm liking it.  Just gotta cert up the lockout timer when I lose it in a big fight, 15 minute wait is horrible.  3x increase from PS1, AND you can't run Reaver/Wasp in the meantime >.<
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: October 20, 2012, 09:45:22 pm »

I miss the 5 minute implants that you could buy with 25 or 50 auraxium, personally.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: October 20, 2012, 10:28:20 pm »

Hrm, ever since the latest patch it seems a lot more unstable. I had some major graphical glitches and a CTD in less than an hour of play. Upside: Got to use my medic's c4 versus a stupid enemy tank and got a ton of cert points for it.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: October 20, 2012, 11:54:43 pm »

So I got the EM1 for Heavy Assault. It's really good (less though at extremely long range). The first time I used it, I killed two maxes. From what I see about being killed, it seems like the TR HA upgrade gun is really good as well. Does it look like guns for the other classes are a huge upgrade as well?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: October 21, 2012, 01:52:17 am »

The TR Sniper upgrade's excellent.  Fires a lot slower, but can kill in one shot.  Kind of like the HSR/Bolt Driver duality from PS1.

Just made my most amazing shot ever today.  Was shooting at some wall turrets in a Prowler and I start getting strafed by a Scythe.  I turn my turret towards it and fire off a shot on reflex, then call myself an idiot and jump into the secondary turret.  When I bring the secondary around, the Scythe explodes before I can get a shot off and I get kill credit.  I hit it with the main cannon round I snapped off and blew it apart!  XD

Shooting down fighter planes with tank cannons, that's Planetside baby!
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: October 21, 2012, 02:53:15 am »

The EM9 or whatever for NC Light Asault and Engineer is really good. I think that one comes down to preference though; as you only have 20 rounds instead of 30 in exchange for more damage per shot. It also can't mount a reflex sight for some strange reason. I'm staying with the iron sights until I feel like saving certs up for the IRNV scope. I do much better at night with that, though I haven't used it since the character wipe. That was before I knew how to check fps so I don't know if it increases my framerate.

The NC 10x scope for the snipers has a weird crosshairs, but it seems to work okay. It would be nice to have some vertical hashmarks though so once you find the required elevation you don't have to guess where it was. That's one of the major downsides of the bolt action rifle in the hands of an infiltrator, though otherwise it's very good.

The NC shotgun is still pretty good. It's best when used on the infiltrator and except in places there is no cover and your cloak will wear off before you reach the next hiding spot. I usually take it instead of the sniper except in places like The Crown, attacking or defending. On Light assault it's a bit harder to get up close and since you'll often be on a building shooting farther than a shotgun's range I usually take the carbine. Heavy's LMG is what I'll be using instead of shotgun as it's useful to have some range other than the rocket launcher and the pistol, which only seems useful to me for the heavy when he is caught reloading or if it's suppressed I suppose. Medic I'm not really sure about; I like the rifle but back when there was an Auraxium I tried to obtain an accurate, two round burst rifle and instead I received one with better handling (smaller crosshairs when moving or otherwise not looking down the sights). The shotgun could be useful if you are fighting inside, but the rifle with a scope on it is pretty nice too. I'd much rather have the more accurate, two round burst rifle (which may have been removed for the NC and replaced with the Torrent that I have) as using it with a scope was my plan all along. For the engineer, I take the EM9 (I think 9 is the number) carbine. I usually only go engineer if we have a lot of vehicles or turrets need repairs or if I'm driving.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: October 21, 2012, 03:06:30 am »

Sitting in the Indar WG, {Thebes}, and I had so much work to do as an engineer its not funny.
Pilots think they're top gun, but they're bowling gutterballs, (mixed metaphors FTW), the number of times one Galaxy tried to land on top of another, bloody hell, where do these pilots get their licences?
I was standing in between the tank spawners repairing a Vangurd and another tank just drives over both us, at enough speed that he just flies over me without touching the ground.
And those pillocks that try to ride on top of a Galaxy, that's worth a chuckle.
Unfortunately, there's a heap of tools as well.  In a galaxy and firing at three scythes and the guy sitting in another turret decides to see if he can shoot the tail off, just as I had bagged two of the scythes, (only scored assists though).

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: October 21, 2012, 03:45:01 am »

I sometimes try to land on top of a galaxy but its only on the warpgate, and you know its for SCIENCE. Aactually i have never died to stupid manuvers like that so i will keep doing them till i die.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 826