Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089459 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So doing a Sky Dance with a Couple of Scythes, Me winning, I wasn't paying attention to how close to the ground I was, something alot of Scythe Pilots attempt to cause...

Though, I didn't crash...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=112610975
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

What you do is open useroptions.ini and find the render distance line, it's probably set to -1.00000 (which means unlimited/server controlled or something like that). I turned mine to 300, which is super low (but my computer is terrible) you could probably try 1000 for a start, and go up or down from there depending on how well it runs. More then 3000 is probably a waste, and even as low as 300 is very playable (just don't try to fly because there's too much fog to see other planes or ground targets).

Thanks!  This made the game almost playable for me at 800.  I'll try piddling around with it more and see if I can make it good enough to actually be useful in a firefight.  (It was good enough to medic a bit.)

Know any other tweaks like that that aren't ingame?

Glad it helped!

in the same file, you can change it to ShadowQuality=0, that will completely disable shadows which helped a bit for me. FloraQuality=0 and RenderFlora=Off should remove at least some of the plant life etc and maybe give you a few extra FPS.

Someone told me if you disable some or all of the sounds (set the slider to 0) it won't load the sound files at all and will give you a bit of a boost, but I didn't notice any difference at all doing that (if it helped, it was so minor it was not worth it). It can't hurt to try, though, maybe it will help you out.

You can also set render quality to lower then 50%. find the line that says RenderQuality=1 (or 0.5 or whatever) and change that to even lower, like RenderQuality=0.350000. Warning, this will make the game look *REALLY* terrible (http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/GamestaRJ/40fps.jpg), but it might help you if your GPU is very old.

Another thing you can try is playing on easimir or amerish - the population is usually laughable unbalanced (like one side has 80%) but if it's relatively even, I find the performance is usually a LOT better there for me.

Also if you press control-f (or maybe it's alt-f I don't remember offhand) it gives you an FPS counter at the bottom, which will also list [CPU] or [GPU] to tell you which is bottlenecking your performance. Maybe not hugely helpful but if you plan on upgrading, it will let you know which to upgrade.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't wait for server transfers. My lvl 15 is in NC on Matherson but I have grown to HATE my Outfit there(The Ascended) and am looking to join the TR Outfit that dominates Matherson. I can't bring myself to delete my lvl 15 though, so, it's now about the waiting game.
I've never seen the TR take more than one continent on Mattherson.  The range I normally see is TR 0-1 continents (always Indar), VS 0-2 continents, NC 1-2 continents.  I'd avoid The Enclave unless you're into unironic white supremacism and a no-fun-allowed milsim command structure.  They also tend to lose a lot, as they don't understand the importance of armor and air support in holding points and don't have the numbers for an offensive zerg.  The redditors playing Vanu are a bit more competent, but they probably wouldn't be much less reprehensible.  Good luck in your hunt, but Mattherson TR is probably a bad place to look for an outfit.

He who controls the crown controls Indar.
Nope, holding the crown is a good way to lose Indar.  The benefits of holding it are negligible, it's a bit like a biolab in that there's no way to take it short of a coordinated blitz so if it's defended it's better to just go around it, and you're going to be stuck defending it as pubbies attack from all sides.  It can be a pretty good place to farm certs if you're on your own though.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile

Watterson TR seems to have a few decently organized outfits, TB's outfit is probably most notable.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile

I forgot to change my class and was medic, literally the worst class to be a sole soldier in the middle of a firefight between two hostiles.

This literally made me laugh.

That's total bullshit, for me, Medic is my favorite infantry class. I've ramboed as medic tons of times.

Don't know why it's the worst class.
I need to put something interesting here.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

Medics are usually the support class, so seeing a lone medic is less of a threat than a heavy assault. Of course, medics have guns too...
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Also if you press control-f (or maybe it's alt-f I don't remember offhand) it gives you an FPS counter at the bottom, which will also list [CPU] or [GPU] to tell you which is bottlenecking your performance. Maybe not hugely helpful but if you plan on upgrading, it will let you know which to upgrade.

Good tip- as expected, I'm CPU limited here.  I'm planning on upgrading at year end, so it should become better.  (Also, going from 2 to 16 GB of RAM will help anything.)  But hey, dropping render distance to 400 plus your other tweaks, I was able to get my first kill!  Now I can safely shelve the game until I upgrade.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The ability to self-heal without injectors alone makes them a good class for 'behind enemy lines' scenarios. Engineer would be good for the extra ammunition and turret, and LA for the mobility.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Honestly, the only benefit to HA seems to be rockets, which are incredibly situational.  The only time I use them anymore is when I'm defending a base or advance sunderer against an onslaught of ground vehicles, can't buy a max, and have some decent cover and resupply options nearby.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rockets can be pretty decent anti-infantry, though a good gun is better in most situations.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

For anyone that has a hardware control panel (Such as the Nvida Control Panel), you might look into disabling Anti-Aliasing for PS2 through that since there's no in-game option. I gained 10-15 FPS by doing that, and I haven't fallen below 20 yet, and that's only with explosions flying around at max settings.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Rockets can be pretty decent anti-infantry, though a good gun is better in most situations.

I don't think I've ever managed to kill infantry with a rocket, and I've landed several (appeared to be) direct hits.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I aim for the feet and have gotten a couple of kills, with several occasions of causing significant damage to help teammates. They're useful for splash damage in a crowded area, but nowhere near as good as grenades.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

I don't think I've ever managed to kill infantry with a rocket, and I've landed several (appeared to be) direct hits.
I haven't played since release -just the beta- but I've had a number of kills with rockets. I'm pretty sure they one-hit anyone without flak armor (maybe flak armor is just very popular). In fact they're my main tool against snipers when I'm playing Heavy Assault.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I snipe often, and get rockets fired at me when doing so often.  Rockets from vehicles typically destroy me, but rockets from infantry seem to barely hurt me.  No flak armor.  My impression is that you're more likely to penetrate an infantry shield with a wild spray of bullets than a well-placed rocket.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 826