Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084955 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

the way SoE deals with cheats/hacks is to log patterns, and wait... then do mass bannings.

If they banned right when a cheat was detected, then the cheat programmers would adapt until it was no longer detected. This way, they don't know exactly when they passed the dection threshold, and they ban associated accounts as well (so never team up with a hacker) You little brother hacked from your IP address? sucks to be you.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now we just need the render distance fixed, I don't like the fact that I can watch a Flash and rider through the scope, then the rider gets off and becomes invisible, but the Flash is still there.  (Or any vehicle really: you can see a vehicle being repaired, but can't see the engineer, its so frustrating)
As someone who's trained to take shots at over 1,000 meters,  having to account for wind and drop, not being able to see someone at 350 meters is incredibly frustrating!
It's even more frustrating that a simple rifle has better long distance accuracy and refire rate than any of the sniper rifles.

Oh yeah, while this could come back to bite my behind, but if you're going to try and pick people off at a distance, go medic and get yourself a 4x scope. You don't have to steady your aim and you can practically deliver whole magazines of head shots.

(so never team up with a hacker)
But what if I don't know? >_>
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

I think he's referring to, "Don't share a computer or an account with a hacker". General rule of thumb in any game, really.

They certainly can't ban you for playing with one in-game, though.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

NC took Amerish on Miller this evening. Finally NC are pulling together. Anyone else take part?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Looks like warpgates will be rotated at the end of January.
Indar: Counter-clockwise
Esamir: Clockwise
Amerish: Counter-clockwise

Source
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find the post right above the dev to be interesting. They're protesting that NC has a great defensive set-up on Indar. Rotating warp gates won't solve the problem, it'll just give a different team the awesome defensive position. If the terrain's unfair, maybe you need to modify the terrain itself.  ::)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

More accurately, it treats the symptoms of the lack of sanctuary conts/cappable warpgate a la PS1, but doesn't actually cure it.  It's really impossible to fix with just three continents, but I think it's totally fixable with six.

Code: [Select]
    T
   / \
  1---2
 / \ / \
V---3---N

T N V are conts with respective WG links, and 1 2 3 are conts without WG links.  The order doesn't really matter, though honoring PS1 home conts is totally fine... though TR would have to get another since neither Ceryshen nor Forseral are represented.  Maybe give Amerish to the TR, VS get Esamir, and NC gets Hossin.  1 2 and 3 are Indar, Searhus, and Oshur in whatever order.

*IIRC, the next three are Hossin, Oshur, and Searhus.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

On that note, does anyone ever have trouble getting in to a continent?  Twice in the past few days I've been unable to get into Indar, which is especially bad when we get jointly driven out of Esamir and Amerish is vacant.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Started last night, TR on Waterson as Nenjin. feel free to friend me if you're there. I may roll on another server but want to sink some time into playing with my other friends. I read back about 15 pages and am still a little unclear...there's an outfit on what server, of what faction?

I'm thinking I want to play mostly Light Assault and Medic right now...currently I'm trying to get the squad/spawning-related certs so my friends and I can play at least semi-cohesively. Was a bitch as a squad of total newbies with no certs trying to stay together.

Overall I did ok for me, 1/1.5 K/D over a couple hours. A lot of my kills just came from getting the drop on people, but I won several toe-to-toe fights, even a couple maxes. I kinda knew when I'd been dropped by someone with a thoroughly arranged kit though, usually because it was one or two headshots and I'd be dead. A lot of my deaths came from dying in open ground to enemies at long range.

My only real complaint with the game so far is that the mini-map is packed full of tiny icons and it's impossible for me to get a handle on the flow of base assaults other than "Just follow the pack." Trying to take secondary objectives is very confusing. Half the time I'd end up at a shield generator where the bomb was already set and wonder wtf I had just wasted 5 minutes doing. Trying to assault the larger bases with teleporter or jump access leads to a lot of confusion and running in circles. Even with the MM expanded, I can just barely make out some icons. Trying to find vehicle and supply terminals in your own bases can also be a cluster fuck.

I haven't even deigned to screw with air vehicles yet, but am looking forward to it. Was never really that good at them in other FPS but they seem some somewhat more user friendly?

Enjoying it so far, and am sure I'll enjoy it even more when I go from 4gigs of old ram to 8 gigs of some pretty sweet ram here in the next week or so. Right now at medium will all the optional stuff turned off, it keeps up for the most part but I can tell I'm dipping into the mid to low 20s.

Can anyone recommend a good TR Light Assault Rifle/attachment combo...for medium to long range? Those long runs with no somethingerers across open ground suck as a brand new light assault.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile

I've not been playing long, but you don't really need to get a kit all set up. I've offed an awful lot of players in my short time with my trusty Orion at long range. You'll score a tonne of assists just by popping a couple of shots at anything that looks like it might shoot you. Generally, the light sniper types will take cover if you can hit them a couple of times. Also, try buying a couple of the cheap armour or health certs, they go a long way.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Nenjin, PS2 aircraft are as about as user-friendly as they come. Even the idiots can't fly as badly as, say, Battlefield players do; it is much less normal to see someone hop into a Lib and promptly crash than it was to see people start up a helicopter, get airborne for two second, then flip it into a forest, a cliff, or a building. For one, they're all VTOL, and all of the air spawns are on flat, elevated landing pads.

The outfit is NC Mattherson, but there are only 8-9ish people in it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Well I just took the TR vehicles for a spin and yeah, they handle pretty easy. Except for some reason when I put a galaxy on the ground, the nose dipped down and the whole thing flipped on its back.

I've not been playing long, but you don't really need to get a kit all set up. I've offed an awful lot of players in my short time with my trusty Orion at long range. You'll score a tonne of assists just by popping a couple of shots at anything that looks like it might shoot you

Eh. The rifle TR light assault starts with is just fine medium to short. It's anything beyond that. The single shot round does dick for damage at long ranges. I'd just like a flexible medium to long range suggestion, since there seems to be so much to choose from.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Speaking of aircraft, is there anyone here that longs to see more classic nosegun dogfights? Everyone and their dog seems to have A2AM and I never seem to be able to shake them off when looking for a dogfight. Trees, hills and even mountains, those buggers always hit me.

Secondly, anyone here stick to first person only when using vehicles? I personally feel like the third person is a bit "exploitish" akin to being able to switch to third person as an infantry to peek around corners.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Secondly, anyone here stick to first person only when using vehicles? I personally feel like the third person is a bit "exploitish" akin to being able to switch to third person as an infantry to peek around corners.

*raises hand*

Of course, I stick with mostly Flash and the occasional Lightning, so perhaps my view is biased.  I can't fly for beans.

it is much less normal to see someone hop into a Lib and promptly crash

I've done that!

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

I've spawned a mosquito and promptly flipped it upside down on the ground before.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 826