Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089222 times)

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10035 on: April 08, 2014, 05:27:42 pm »

Planetside 2 is a very CPU dependant game. You need a decent CPU and RAM to run it decently. The small RAM is definitely hurting you. Not sure what the numbers are on that CPU, but it sounds old. Not to mention it could be a bottleneck for your GPU, making it seem slower than it is.
Depending on OS and what all you are doing in the background, 6 gigs of RAM should be ok. Remember that Planetside is still 32bit and still runs into the issues 32bit applications have with ram limitations, so having much past 8 gigs gives diminishing returns, and 6 gigs should be okay. I have 16 gigs and Planetside rarely uses more than 2.5-3 gb of my ram.

Also settings are really important. I'm on a laptop and I still get 60+fps when not fighting and easily 35-40 during 60v60 fights, simply because I don't have my graphics turned up to the max and I took an hour to tweak my graphics so I rarely have a lot of extra CPU or GPU power that isn't being used because one of them is limiting. Look up a few guides for tweaks.

edit: But yeah, that CPU is probably the limiting factor here. Check your fps in game and see whether the [CPU] or [GPU] pops up.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:31:52 pm by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: April 08, 2014, 05:31:27 pm »

Shutdown shadows first if you're tweaking graphics, it'll probably have some effect.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: April 08, 2014, 05:50:32 pm »

Yeah, for me, shadows at ultra bring my FPS to 45 while at warpgate. Shadows at high and my FPS is 56/57, shadows off and it's 65-70. Shadows off will net some fps.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10038 on: April 08, 2014, 07:26:44 pm »

Depending on OS and what all you are doing in the background, 6 gigs of RAM should be ok. Remember that Planetside is still 32bit and still runs into the issues 32bit applications have with ram limitations, so having much past 8 gigs gives diminishing returns, and 6 gigs should be okay. I have 16 gigs and Planetside rarely uses more than 2.5-3 gb of my ram.

Windows usually hogs a bunch of RAM too, along with whatever else you have running in the background. Yeah, you should be "okay", but I still consider 8 Gigs the minimum for running modern games smoothly.

In this case though, a CPU upgrade would definitely make the biggest difference.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: April 08, 2014, 07:39:06 pm »

Or, if you are unlucky to have Vista or 8, get windows 7.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: April 08, 2014, 08:52:18 pm »

Alternatively, if you have 8, just stick with it. Since it's, y'know, better than 7.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: April 08, 2014, 08:56:39 pm »

Alternatively, if you have 8, just stick with it. Since it's, y'know, better than 7.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: April 08, 2014, 08:56:55 pm »

I turn off shadows in all games, since I know how much of a performance hog it is.

Just got through an alert; as expected, it does appear to be the CPU that's the problem. Sitting in a non-alert warpgate I had about 45, 50, tagged [CPU]. Fighting anywhere was basically 10fps on top of the pixelation from the lower graphics settings I was trying to use (medium-low) to improve FPS; suffice to say, I'm pretty much useless.

I'll look at upgrading the CPU and may as well throw in as much RAM as I can while doing so, since it's going to require a motherboard upgrade as well. I know how much MMOs are generally CPU limited but I didn't think the core 2 duo was that out of date. (Not sure exactly what model it is, but dxdiag says "Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00 Ghz".)

Maybe I'll also get a second 660 TI throw in a larger/widescreen monitor as well (my current monitor is LCD but max 1280x1024).

I wonder if upgrading the CPU will also solve the freezing I get occasionally in PS2 and more often in RIFT. Not 100% sure what's happening, all I know is that the game kind freeze for a bit, blacks out, but then recovers. It's usually accompanied by Firefox crashing. When it happens in PS2, people start rubber banding all over the place, and the game (that is, the server) probably thinks I'm doing it too because I kept getting warnings about being in a restricted area whenever I move, even an inch, in the direction of a locked spawn point in the biolab. In Rift, actions feel like they're delayed by a quarter of a second or something, most obviously seen when I run the mouse quickly across menu buttons, where the button highlights one or two buttons "late". Now that I think of it, going to check windows event viewer next time to see if it's something graphics-card/driver related or otherwise.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: April 08, 2014, 08:59:48 pm »

There's a known issue in Planetside 2 with NVIDIA graphics cards and drivers where the display driver completely shuts down for a few seconds.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: April 08, 2014, 09:01:26 pm »

Yeah, your CPU is over 5 years old, so I'd suggest an upgrade. Being CPU limited in a non combat situation means either you have an amazing graphics card, or in your case, your CPU is starting to suck.

Freezing problems could be because of NVIDIA. Roll back your drivers to 332 and see if it helps. I used to crash every 20 minutes on 335 drivers when playing planetside.

EDIT: Also the new beta drivers that are out seem to be fine, though I've only been using them for a few hours. No crashed though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: April 08, 2014, 09:21:39 pm »

Dodging magriders is fun.

Especially when they go OVER you.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: April 08, 2014, 09:29:51 pm »

That's when you put a couple bricks of C4 on the underside.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: April 09, 2014, 02:17:13 am »

There's a known issue in Planetside 2 with NVIDIA graphics cards and drivers where the display driver completely shuts down for a few seconds.
So that's what's causing that. I thought something was melting.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: April 09, 2014, 04:58:15 am »

The darklight flashlight seems so useless (on a sidearm). Spotted an enemy infiltrator from...feet away.
Cue same infiltrator shooting my face off with a pistol. :V

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10049 on: April 09, 2014, 05:46:56 am »

... you got the darklight? >_>

Ya shouldn't have, it's more of a situational addon in case you KNOW there is an infil nearby.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 826