Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089597 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10845 on: July 13, 2014, 08:09:24 am »

Why are stock maxes so laughably easy to take down with small arms fire? Isn't their role to spearhead pushes? I dont get why you'd just make every new player be stuck with a farm machine that has little actual purpose.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10846 on: July 13, 2014, 08:12:06 am »

Stock MAXes suck. You really need to get upgrades for them to be useful, because people have gotten very good at taking them down.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10847 on: July 13, 2014, 09:11:10 am »

Also they only have one of two weapons. Most maxes that kill you have two of one weapon (probably the AI arms or bursters), not one of two.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10848 on: July 13, 2014, 10:57:23 am »

Indeed. I dont have much problem with my AV MAX (It's not like I'm going to tanking tank hits + MAXs start with flak + vehicles are a hell of a lot more predictable), but trying to do an uncerted AI MAX is a nightmare in anything but door farm scenarios. And even then a single C4 or AV grenade thrown through the door sends me crying back to my engineer.

I just wish the MAX was more adept at getting things done other than instagibbing infantry who step in front of the guns.

In other news, I am in such awe of some of the situational awareness/hand-eye coord skills I've seen from the better players. Mine are really quite bad, so when I see something like a tank flipping its turret around the moment I step into view 200m out and lasering my face with with a l/100 before I can react, I get so frustrated. How do these players do that?! The tank guns have this weird acceleration thing going on for me that makes precise fire really damn hard.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:05:41 am by Rex_Nex »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10849 on: July 13, 2014, 12:42:05 pm »

I play nearly exclusively AV/AA MAX and leave the AI work to other people. If need be I can snipe people with dual Falcons. Most of the time though there are people better at the role than me, and I find maxed flak armour far more reliable against things you can't run away from.

As for the rest, a lot of it is just being in the zone at any given time. I usually suck, but occasionally get a period where my framerate is consistent and high, I've got my eye in and a comfortable firing pattern with my current weapon, and the enemies just seem to line up exactly where I expect them. These tend to lead to nice little killing sprees.

There is a serious amount of game knowledge that can help. Many bases have more or less standard lines of approach and flows of battle. Learning these just takes time, but then means you can seem to know where people are coming from before they do. Similarly there are usually ways to break that same flow that relatively few people either know or think to use.
Only real thing I can recommend is finding a weapon you want to get good with and sticking with it for a while. Practice firing patterns (burst fire, quick bursting, etc) in VR to work out what sort of controlled fire you need at different ranges, and generally what those ranges look like on your screen. That way you can start getting your reflexes locked in and can start focusing on other aspects of play.

Alternatively just grab a shotgun on a Light Assault and focus on finding ways to get the drop on people. You want to always be engaging from the side or behind at close to extreme-close range. The shotguns are easy enough to use that you should be able to ignore the weapon mechanics side of things and just focus on movement and flow of battle. If nothing else this will teach you what approaches other people are most likely to use against you in the future.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10850 on: July 13, 2014, 12:50:57 pm »

Isn't there an option to use raw mouse input, rex? I might be looking at the wrong thing (the vehicle weapons seem to aim fine to me with that on, but I usually take a moment to spot someone if they're distant), but it might be that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10851 on: July 13, 2014, 01:01:57 pm »

I'm one of those tankers sniping people from extreme range, the principle is simple, if it moves and doesn't have a nice blue triangle over it's head, I drop a round on it to convince it to go away.  A thing to remember about fighting as infantry around tanks is that our reactions at long range are MUCH faster and more accurate than at close range (might be good advice for ESF jocks too, come to think of it).  I can fairly easily kill infantry with impunity in my tank, as long as they are at range, once they get close, say <50 meters (maybe <30), they become very hard to track and hit.  Infantry are slow and easy to predict as targets (splash damage helps too).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:04:30 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10852 on: July 13, 2014, 02:54:31 pm »

Isn't there an option to use raw mouse input, rex? I might be looking at the wrong thing (the vehicle weapons seem to aim fine to me with that on, but I usually take a moment to spot someone if they're distant), but it might be that.

I use raw mouse input. AFAIK it's actually a hardcoded thing in some vehicle weapons, including things like the Lightning and MBT main cannons. They don't aim like infantry weapons (i.e following your cursor around perfectly), they sort of slide around.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10853 on: July 13, 2014, 04:30:41 pm »

In other news, I am in such awe of some of the situational awareness/hand-eye coord skills I've seen from the better players. Mine are really quite bad, so when I see something like a tank flipping its turret around the moment I step into view 200m out and lasering my face with with a l/100 before I can react, I get so frustrated. How do these players do that?! The tank guns have this weird acceleration thing going on for me that makes precise fire really damn hard.

Mostly they have thermal optics.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10854 on: July 13, 2014, 04:37:46 pm »

Really weak and pointless trick
Those really aren't the words I'd use to describe LAs/boost pad synergy. This is pretty much mandatory learning for every light assault player ever, and possibly something tankers should consider whenever they're fighting around boost pads as well.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10855 on: July 13, 2014, 05:32:24 pm »

Mostly they have thermal optics.

I forgot to mention I appeared 200m behind the tank line, it was pretty impressive he spotted me so fast, I didn't even have time to throw down my AV turret. Of course, thermal optics do make it pretty hard not to see someone given they're in your field of view. A bit silly.

Really weak and pointless trick
Those really aren't the words I'd use to describe LAs/boost pad synergy. This is pretty much mandatory learning for every light assault player ever, and possibly something tankers should consider whenever they're fighting around boost pads as well.

I think that was sarcasm :P

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10856 on: July 13, 2014, 05:39:43 pm »

You were probably spotted by somebody, and the tanker saw you on his minimap and turned around to shoot you.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10857 on: July 13, 2014, 05:53:57 pm »

One thing about thermals; if you are going to equip them on your MBT secondary, equip them on your main as well. Or at least don't equip a 2x zoom on the main and sit as far from the battle as you can, sniping away while your gunner squints at the distant dots, occasionally activating thermals to confirm that nothing is within a hundred meters of you yet.

More acceptable on a dedicated AI secondary. Completely acceptable on the Canister as a reminder you can't hit anything beyond its visible range anyway.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10858 on: July 13, 2014, 06:53:28 pm »

~ or half the things inside of that range.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10859 on: July 13, 2014, 07:09:49 pm »

A better question is "why did you buy the Canister anyway?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 826