Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089311 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11145 on: August 18, 2014, 01:51:30 am »

I had a thought a couple of days ago about improving long range combat.

Currently long range combat is indecisive, mostly because for some reason guns have lots of recoil and CoF bloom and it's difficult to actually hit anything beyond the first shot. Also it takes a lot of shots to kill people at range so they can just squirrel away to cover somewhere.

My idea is to add additional benefits to stances (i.e., moving, standing, crouching, crouch moving) beyond the initial CoF values. Basically if you're standing or crouching still, the first shot multiplier, horizontal recoil, and CoF bloom of the gun you're using should be dramatically improved so that it's easier to land multiple shots at a distance.

This won't affect close range combat, since everybody moves and should be moving in close range combat. It makes long range guns deadlier at their intended role and also makes long range combat possible if you're using a gun that isn't the SABR-13. Also infiltrators rejoice because lots of people start standing still more often.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #11146 on: August 18, 2014, 02:00:50 am »

Strafe spamming already makes your CoF expand very rapidly during rapid shooting, but other than that, yeah, I think weapons should have a little bit more long range viability. Right now only infiltrators have guns that can make use of x6 scopes, and with my recent Infiltrator binge I've fallen in love with shooting folks at range so much that I don't know if I can ever go back.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: August 18, 2014, 02:46:31 am »

Shooting at people in close-medium range with a bolt-action is a fun thing indeed.

I haven't been on recently, did Miller get fixed yet?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: August 18, 2014, 05:36:32 am »

From what I've heard, no. Miller is lagging to hell and back.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11149 on: August 18, 2014, 05:47:30 am »

Well, they have until Wednesday to fix it, as far as I'm concerned. :P

Also, is the tank hitbox thing really true?  That would make me very disappointed. Especially since a new hobby of mine was stalker infiltrator with explosive xbow.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11150 on: August 18, 2014, 06:29:13 am »

Check this out:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/video-da-yehhh1g-quick-scoping-a-falling-bouncing-betty.197819/

The way his crosshairs move to headshots is just bannanites. It even compensates for z movement, look at the guy on the hill he actually misses twice due to overcompensation when the guy moved the otehr way downhill instead of uphill. The bouncing betty shot was just pure luck unless he's using an aimbot that sticks to explosives, maybe a sort of push button one, I don't know how they are used.

I try not to do hackusations unless I am sure and thus I will not do more than to raise the possibility, but this level of ability (42% headshot rate according to the recursion stat tracker) raises doubts in me especially when only certain outfits can perform at this level and while it's not outfit-wide a majority of their members can do it. DA and AC are two of these outfits, with even low Battle-rank AC members able to do things like consistently ping-ping-ping headshot kills at mid-range while strafing against someone trying to dodge.

Also at :16 seconds in there appears to be what might be NC infiltrator going into stealth near the rock and in the video you can see the blue shader thing people see when an NC stealthed infiltrator is in a flashlight, but he's 50 or more meters away with no visible VS near them. I could be wrong though, that could be something else that is that color of blue like an overshielded heavy. It's hard to tell in the video as whatever it was is only visible for about a second.

Restoration kits are silly too, could use a change.

EDIT: In case I get jumped on for even suggesting the possibility, check this out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/194qqy/confirmed_soe_is_banning_hackers_for_only_310/

IF they are caught SOE only suspends the account for 7-14 days and doesn't delete characters that are caught cheating as of that 2013 Reddit post. This may only apply to paying accounts. It could have changed since then. Possibly if caught again they are perma banned, but judging how Nivx keeps coming back to VS Mattherson/Emerald I kind of doubt it. I saw a person with nivx in their name a few days ago on NC Emerald so maybe his old VS account was perma banned, or he could just be on his NC alt, I dunno. Despite being reported by multiple people in various outfits multiple times for blatant aimbotting Nivx plagued the server for a year or more before he finally wasn't seen as often, which is why I put the word if in all caps at the start of this paragraph.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:55:04 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11151 on: August 18, 2014, 07:02:54 am »

No, that wasn't hacking.
WHAT THE PROS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!!! Little trick to get great aim: Turn down your mouse sensitivity.

Also, outfits like DA, AC, BAX, and SVO are very selective, if you can't play on that level they won't even give you the time of day.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: August 18, 2014, 07:16:48 am »

Yeah, I knew I'd get that kind of response. It's not even worth raising the possibility it feels like. People have said the same thing, that they are top tier mlg pro git gud etc about people who later get banned, but once that happens continue to do so when other questionable performance is noted. It disregards that yes, people do cheat in fps games, and yes if there is a vulnerability in the game it will be taken advantage of by a small minority of the players.

I'll tell you what, when SOE invites the top outfits to a tournament where SOE provides the computers used and if they still perform head and shoulders above other experienced players I'll never suggest they are anything but better than 99% of humanity experienced in this particular type of task.

(Un?)fortunately I'm not alone in seeing suspicious things in PS2:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/how-about-some-gms-or-game-integrity-control.197970/

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/threat-to-soes-revenue-stream.198008/

Also turning down mouse sensitivity is a terrible suggestion. At the very least your hipfire sensitivity should be high enough so you can quickly but still accurately quickscope. Aim, scoped and vehicle sensitivity would be a good idea to turn down if you feel it helps. It also depends on how much dpi or whatever that measurement is that your mouse has.

Also, outfits like DA, AC, BAX, and SVO are very selective, if you can't play on that level they won't even give you the time of day.

I agree, but how can they be sure that cheaters are not getting through their selective process? I think that they can't be and then end up defending them unknowingly.

In AC's case Maximumsmurf and less than a squad of low BR AC players I can't remember wiped the floor with two squads of NC including some BR100s until the NC was confined to the spawn room in a biolab with Maxsmurf and several other if not all of the AC players doing ping-ping-ping headshots, causing the NC players to log out in disgust after filing some reports. It's really suspicious to have that happen and after having run into him doing the same thing in multiple instances I'm fairly confident in saying IF there are aimbots being used that Maximumsmurf has replaced Nivx as the most blatant aimbotter on Emerald, in my mind at least.

This is Nivx but it looks the same when fighting Maximumsmurf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTVf59lk2A0

According to some guy named Anonymous

https://fireden.net/4chan/vg/72022663#p72075116

This is maximumsmurf's stats:

https://fireden.net/4chan/images.4chan.org//vg/src/1403962746209.jpg

Notice the 50%+ headshot rate on some of the lmgs. Or the Orion that has over 26,000 kills but a 40% head shot rate. Totally not suspicious especially when you remember he's an adadadad spammer.

EDIT: Also you can 'fix' your accuracy stat by shooting the ground or ceiling in the warpgate (or anywhere really.) I don't know if that lowers Head shot rate or if head shot rate is calculated only from bullets that actually hit an infantry. This makes me automatically suspicious of people I see emptying magazines at a wall or other terrain for no reason when there isn't any fighting going on and especially when it's after a fight just ended.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:33:41 am by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #11153 on: August 18, 2014, 08:23:15 am »

I'm glad I haven't seen many cheaters on Miller since about a year ago. There are moments, but they usually seem to be cloak-lag or the like.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11154 on: August 18, 2014, 08:50:01 am »

You really aren't going to accuse MaximumSmurf of cheating, are you?
I can assure you that he does not use an aimbot as I mopped the floor counter-sniping him a while ago.

I don't like playing this card, but: My K/D is 1.3, I average around 2.5 these days. The guy who told me about lowering sensitivity has a 3.2 (https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428013610487669665) Your's is under 1.

In PS2 headshots are king. If we meet on even footing and you shoot for my chest and I for your head. You will lose. The end.
Turn down your sensitivity, aim for the head. It will take a while to get used to, but in the end you WILL be better for it.

People have said the same thing, that they are top tier mlg pro git gud etc about people who later get banned, but once that happens continue to do so when other questionable performance is noted.
Sources?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:54:09 am by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: August 18, 2014, 09:01:02 am »

Nivx is the only one I remember and to be honest I'm not even sure he is perma banned so you might have me on that one. There is one guy talking in one of the PS2 forums threads I linked though that gives a name, and yes people were defending that guy up until he got banned.

My KDR is under 1 lifetime for 3 reasons: Firstly I played before the medic revives did not count as deaths and that alone dooms my lifetime KDR to be under one. Secondly, though without checking to be sure but I'm pretty sure it's the case, I pull a turbo flash more than any other vehicle and this results in many suicides much less being killed by enemies in such a weak combat vehicle. Thirdly I don't play to maximize my KDR and indeed disregard it except to make sure I'm improving, when combined with the first that means I died and revived, died and revived, died and revived over and over at times trying to get out of spawn rooms for example. Another example is I hardly use my max and I don't have rocket pods despite how strong they were early on. My best farm weapon has always been an HE lightning. My lifetime KDR would be close to yours if the above were not true. As it is I'm averaging close to 1.5 KDR lately (will check to make sure after my DF worldgen to the year 2014 finishes) doing a lot if not mostly infantry (is a flash driver infantry?) and that as engineer with a battle rifle doing a lot of repairs. I'm willing to admit I might not be as good as you in kill-death ratio, but I bet you never backflipped a battle-flash onto anyone much less someone as dangerous as Visigodo as I have. I didn't know it was an e-bilities contest between us and that kdr was the sole determining factor or I might not use sub-optimal for kdr vehicles or classes that I find fun nonetheless (especially the turbo flash; turbo is the only ability that I can think of that randomly causes a suicide for using it) That doesn't mean I can't notice when some people are performing in an aberrant manner and in the case of the above biolab fight other people notice the same thing. I do get <60fps in almost any sized fight, but I've run into Maxsmurf at times when I'm getting 50-60 as well, like the biolab fight in an above post. Since I often get 35ish fps in a large fight once I setup my useroptions correctly in an earlier post I said I hesitate to throw out hackusations, but I still reserve the right to have suspicions that it's at least possible especially in a free to play game because it would fly in the face both in my past experience in fps games as well as common sense.

All I said is IF there are cheaters that can go uncaught/unpunished in Planetside 2 for me to guess one would be Maximumsmurf as my first guess as I've run into him multiple times. Keep in mind it's only a guess, I'm not sure at all but his stats as well as my experiences with him lead me to be suspicious. If there aren't any cheaters I guess he doesn't deserve to even be accused, so I'm not saying he is; just that if there are cheaters he would be my guess for one that I've seen do suspicious things enough times to remember the name. If I wrote differently I'll happily edit it. Can't I even be suspicious about those headshot rates from someone doing very fast adadad spam?

At sniping range (really anything past mid range) if you move around a bit it's easy to avoid bullets already fired which I would guess would throw the theoretical aimbot off so a user might find it detrimental or at least not helpful and leave it off when using long range snipers. You most often get sniped standing still, and if you get hit moving that person predicted where you would move to by guessing where they should have their bullet after it's travel time to you. It's only easy to do when you were only moving one direction and not juking.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:31:06 am by Duuvian »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: August 18, 2014, 09:37:48 am »

Im sure there are cheaters, but what you're seeing has more to do with the infinite skill ceiling of twitch FPS shooters. I can suck to have to deal with such horrifyingly large skill disparities.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: August 18, 2014, 09:48:42 am »

That's true but it should be very difficult to compensate for the cof expansion at mid range that adadad spam causes, much less that and the rapid change of direction at 1.35 magnification minimum at .75 ads move speed while compensating for fully automatic recoil. Difficult enough that still getting 40% head shot accuracy over 26000 kills some of which are potentially dodging or adadading themselves seems to me to potentially be more than being unusually talented.

One way to look at it is a well deserved compliment if it's not justified; that's how I handle the rare hackusation I get. I haven't gotten one in a long time to be honest, my various stats must be bad enough that anyone who bothers to look at them says lol nope.  :P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:40:15 am by Duuvian »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11158 on: August 18, 2014, 10:33:13 am »

Yes, NC needs even more shotguns. Yup. Mmhmmm. Definitely.

Clearly the NC LA jetpack needs to become a shotgun as well, firing down pellets to keep the user aloft.  Also, shotgun knife.

In all seriousness, something with SABOT rounds would be nice, for an anti-vehicle shotgun.  It'd be an interesting alternative to the Phoenix for heavies.   (Get in *really* close for high risk high reward shots)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11159 on: August 18, 2014, 10:44:28 am »

Yes, NC needs even more shotguns. Yup. Mmhmmm. Definitely.

Clearly the NC LA jetpack needs to become a shotgun as well, firing down pellets to keep the user aloft.  Also, shotgun knife.

In all seriousness, something with SABOT rounds would be nice, for an anti-vehicle shotgun.  It'd be an interesting alternative to the Phoenix for heavies.   (Get in *really* close for high risk high reward shots)

I'd like to see a shotgun launcher for the NC heavy and a shotgun knife would also be cool. How would it work, one use for <1000 damage and then no more knife until respawn or resupply? VS could get a charge up knife ;)

How do you like the Mag-scatter Toaster? I'm enjoying it, it works really well with long range primaries like the Warden.

Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 826