Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089962 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #12030 on: April 29, 2016, 04:28:25 am »

Practice in VR, and try the engagement radar. I'm starting to get the hang of aircraft myself, though I can in no way win a dogfight yet. I've looked on the Daybreak Games forums for tips and such and discovered that A) their forum community is fairly toxic, and B) their aircraft players are especially toxic, especially in regards to the use of the air-to-air missile.

I've been considering getting the air-to-air missile, since my main gun doesn't really cut it against other aircraft.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12031 on: April 29, 2016, 02:37:09 pm »

You said you checked the forums, but did you check Reddit?

The sky knights are part of the reason nobody can really get into the air game very easily, even with the very simplified flight model in the game.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12032 on: April 29, 2016, 02:40:04 pm »

...sky knights?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12033 on: April 29, 2016, 04:22:34 pm »

I can't wait to set aside some time to play MMOinecraft!

Where are Cortium nodes? Only on Indar?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:51:17 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12034 on: April 29, 2016, 07:12:06 pm »

I can't wait to set aside some time to play MMOinecraft!

Where are Cortium nodes? Only on Indar?
Anywhere. ANTs can use a mineral radar if you cert it and equip it, for easier searching.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12035 on: April 29, 2016, 07:15:38 pm »

Well, they spawn randomly I think but they definitely do have some requirements for where they spawn. Cortium nodes are annoying though. I only ever find them in A.) A firefight where getting close to the cortium, let alone with an ANT, without dying is impossible or B.) When for whatever reason I'm not in a position to mine the cortium in the near future.

Whenever I go looking for Cortium I never find it. I kind of wish they made it so you could pick up Cortium from some of the bases (maybe even only the Warpgate) to ferry to your construction site, kind of like the ANT from Planetside 1.
That would be cool. Put some Cortium automines/loaders/whatever in some center-but-rarely-contested bases, and make them strategically important.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12036 on: April 29, 2016, 08:50:58 pm »

I think it's more the excitement of the new system is still fresh.  I tend to find plenty of nodes.... in far off corners of the map where noone is looking.  The thing is probably about 30 or 40% of the playerbase right now is driving around in ants hoovering the stuff up, so the moment some spawns it gets sucked up.

I suspect the stuff will get more 'common' as the novelty wears off and there's less people playing Araxium truck simulator.

EDIT: I do like the idea of being able to pick up some of the stuff from the warpgate.  But they would have to find some way to make it not as valuable so theres still a point to going out and mining some.  Maybe make it some special long storage variety or some handwave that causes the same amount of it take up 3x the storage space in an ant, but as soon as it's transferred into a silo it becomes normal.  So you can just pick some up from the warpgate, but a ant with 10000 capacity would be filled up by only 3333 of it, making it inefficient for it to be your only source.

Or maybe just cap the amount you can get from the warpgate, if yer ant is over 1/3rd capacity it can't get more.  That has the advantage of allowing you to pick up more if you find some on your way to the destination, and it's probably easier to code the warpgate just not giving you anymore past 1/3rd capacity than making a second type of the stuff with special cases.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:25:45 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12037 on: April 29, 2016, 10:31:33 pm »

So Wrel made a tutorial that may be worth a watch. It mentions some things that don't seem especially intuitive, such as holding LMB+RIMB to be able to place objects closer or further away, the fact that there's a special button in the ANT loadout screen to increase storage capacity (similar to how engineer has a button so you can cert the turrets), and holding control spins objects slower. I don't know how that would work for me though, since control is my jump button...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12038 on: April 29, 2016, 10:36:46 pm »

Its not exactly a special button, its the same one that engineer and medic have things in, as well as anything else with passive or mana turret certs.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12039 on: April 29, 2016, 11:15:51 pm »

Just recently updated my rig to finally handle this game. Nice to actually know where I'm going, aiming, and everything at a nice 10x FPS than I'm used to playing at, even on crap settings. But now, even with ultra settings. It's so nice. Maybe I'll actually be a competent soldier this time. Already started getting into some of my old habits though (from Delta Force and other games like it); like finding the most screwball path to an objective, and somehow sneaking past enemy lines, and getting my job done efficiently/effectively enough.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12040 on: May 13, 2016, 09:31:32 am »

2x xp this week.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12041 on: May 13, 2016, 12:03:08 pm »

...sky knights?
Kinda late but...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
tl;dr
Sky Knights are scumbags.
Screw aircraft.
Get a skyguard and learn to lead.
Or even better, get a skyguard and cert in racer and stealth so you can park somewhere in enemy territory and take down damaged ESFs that hang back waiting for autorepair.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:06:09 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12042 on: May 13, 2016, 12:10:00 pm »

Ah, so air assholes, gotcha. More reason to shoot down everything!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12043 on: May 13, 2016, 01:02:39 pm »

Quote from: sonlirain
= basically this =

YEP. I used to be a pilot on mattherson (an old outfit called AACE at the time). We had a lot of fun and good times and didn't really act too elitist about it (IIRC). But everyone slowly left, and TBH flying has gotten less and less fun ever since, to where I barely ever bother anymore.

Those "air elites" actually were cancer to their own playstyle, more and more people moved away from flying (for one it didn't really affect base captures) since repeatedly getting dunked by misquito/reaver/scythe "gank squads" was completely unfun, so without anyone to kill you'll see a lot of the air elites of past ground pounding as heavy assaults and what have you. So now the question of flying is whether anyone actually even bothers to pull a plane anymore these days.

Every time SOE caved to the demands of the air knights, it made air knights "nosegun-only" policy stronger and stronger (who woulda guessed???), until everyone else left, then so too did the knights of air. And this is why considering the opinions of your whining players is dumb, my greatest criticism of old SOE was that they listened to the reddit too much. If you're going to balance patch, use STATISTICS FIRST, players opinions second.

Oh and, these changes to air are on PTS right now.

Yeah that's right. Tomcat missiles might get nerfed AGAIN, and this time, it's the nail in the coffin if those changes go live.

My apologies, I went on for much longer than I originally intended. But the "air meta" is still something of a sore spot for me, don't even get me started on the mishandling of the liberator by SOE.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12044 on: May 13, 2016, 01:45:22 pm »

Ahaha.
Tomcats now need 5 missiles to kill... so what's the TTK now? Probably over 30 seconds by now.
Meanwhile someone in the comments wants every ESF to have built in flares.
Just amazing...

Well at least you don't have to keep your crosshair on the enemy ESF after actually firing the missile.

Read some more.
Nosegun buffs across the board.
The Tomcats might actually be worth a damn against fleeing ESFs and do some actual damage against liberators and gals.

It's not THAT bad.
Still 5 missiles to kill a ESF... damn i hope that at least the lockon range is good.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:12:17 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 826