Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1068046 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #12330 on: August 16, 2018, 05:35:25 pm »

Triple Combo!

New update. Nothing game-changing, except for all the changes to the game.

General improvements to the codebase for better performance, and for more performance improvements down the line.

Continents' "Warpgate Charging" state will last at most 3 hours. Meltdown alerts to lock the continent have 25% XP bonus during.

Aerial Anomaly event: Anomaly appears closer to the center of the continent, and will loop between different spawn points before coming back to one it was already on. They also have a different appearance from a distance.

New event: Gaining Ground - hold the most 3+ point outposts to win. Occurrence rate for Amp/Tech/Biolab capture events lowered.

Squads: Mentor squads have been added. <BR15 players can join under command of a more experienced player. Mentor squads cannot be part of platoons, or have Fireteam waypoints or smoke markers.

Outfits can "host" squads and platoons, which basically means that leadership passes to another outfit member if the current leader leaves and disbands if there are no other outfit members in the squad.

Joining a squad automatically filters you into a fireteam by default, and fireteams have access to the /ft chat and voice channels. Fireteam leaders can place spawn beacons and FT waypoints(if allowed by squad leader).

Platoon command "/platoon promoteme" removed. The global /orders chat channel removed(certs refunded), instead squads and platoons with at least 6 members can use the "/sitrep" command to quickly display to the entire faction their location, capture time, and possible need for reinforcements based on location population. Maybe TheLoyalTerran will finally shut up...

Construction directives added. Rewards for T2/T3/T4 completion are(in order): Solid Wall constructable, a death-screen banner, and Auraxium ANT Mandible weapon + the title "Builder".

Considerable improvements to the implant system. New implants:
Jockey: Increases shield while in a rumble seat(like the backseat of the Harasser).
Survivalist: Increases shield regen and sprint speed when low on health.
Athlete: Increases sprint acceleration, deceleration, and hold-breath recovery speed.
Gunslinger: Kills with sidearms(Pistols, etc.) increase your reload speed for a bit.
Heavyweight: Heavily reduces flinch from being shot but slows your movement speed.
Response Jacket: Reduces successive explosive damage after taking explosive damage(first blast hits for full). I guess good for tanking grenade spam?
Ransack: Close-range vehicles will restore one load of ammo for you and your vehicle(like one activation of Ammo Printer).
Critical Chain: Headshot kills increase rechamber time. (I assume that means bolt-action snipers)
Sidewinder: Increases side-to-side movement at the cost of side-to-side acceleration/deceleration. (This is their answer to ADAD spam?)
Fortify: Press E by a capture point to temporarily buff your shield.
Symbiote: Gain small arms resistance after taking small arms damage(I guess like Response Jacket)
Covert Drop: Fall damage cloaks you! (wat)
Failsafe: Ability energy is restored when your shield breaks.
Salvage: MAX only. Killing another MAX heals yours.
Paratrooper: Light Assault only. Damage restores your jetpack fuel.
Electrotech: Engineer only. Shield break repairs stuff around you.
Mobility Mesh: Heavy Assault only. Mitigates the movement penalty of your overshield.
Mending Field: Medic only. Low-health friendlies rapidly heal to a certain point.
Firewall(Exceptional): Infiltrator only. You can now use you hack ability on friendly turrets, giving increased health. Apparently does not make it harder to hack.
Disengage(Exceptional): MAX only. Emergency repair ability now knockbacks enemy infantry and increases sprint speed.
Avoidance(Exceptional): No longer trip proximity mines, and Spitfire autoturrets detect you at half the range.
Bionics(Exceptional): Reduces health by 400, increases shield by 400. Gonna say it's incompatible with Carapace.
Cold Heart(Exceptional): Headshot kills increase heat dissipation speed for a short time. I assume this is for MANA and base turrets.
Experimental Stims(Exceptional): Medkits and Restoration kits also give one of the following buffs at random: movement speed, reload speed, small arms resistance.

Implants, except for Exceptional ones, can now by crafted directly with ISO-4. Cost directly correlates to drop rate. Various implants have had balancing applied.

The NC Summer directive weapon(a mortar for the Flash) have been buffed. Probably needed it, since I've seen nobody ever use it(or the TR's flamethrower except me).

Galaxy resistance to HMG/Chaingun damage has been buffed, primarily due to increase TTK from Libs and Valks.

Valkyrie's Wyvern weapon has had a minimum damage nerf(does less damage at longest range), and small arms resistance reduced to be proportionally similar to ESFs.

HESH ammo has been balanced to reduce splash damage kills, but are deadly on direct hit. HESH fires slightly slower, while HEAT has a slightly faster reload(except Prowler) and smaller blast radius. Lightning AP has higher damage, Vanguard AP had faster reload.

Infantry Flak armor no longer has Tank Shell resistance, and only gets C4/Mine resistance at its fifth upgrade level.

Sway removed from IRNV optics.

Spitfires no longer need to be replaced at a weapon terminal. Instead you can drop a new one after a cooldown.

Suppressors have been given significant buff - max damage penalty removed and bullet velocity penalty has been changed(standardized for all weapons) to 15%. Other attachments given various buffs.

Various SMGs have had bullet velocity buffed.

TR's Striker launcher got nerfed, making its engagement range around 445m(previously they could hit beyond render range). The NS Swarm launcher got buffed so that the missiles stay on target longer.

Vehicle gate shields now block all fire. Before, you kinda had to guess which shields did and didn't stop small arms.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12331 on: August 16, 2018, 05:47:59 pm »

One day I'll come play this again and will be amazed by it for a few days. It'll never be as great as the joy of launch day though.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: November 08, 2018, 02:48:29 am »

I come and play semi-regularly, almost always good fun. When it isn't, I still have to get the will to stop playing, haha.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12333 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39:18 pm »

6-year anniversary stuff dropped. Promo code "6YearsPS2" to get a 6-year anniversary decal and a Platinum-version Naginata LMG. There's also 3 tiers of bundles, Rookie, Veteran, and Warmachine, which cost 2999 DBC, 3999 DBC, and 8999 DBC respectively. Going from the dollar prices of Daybreak Cash*, that's about $30, $40, and $85 respectively.

I come and play semi-regularly, almost always good fun. When it isn't, I still have to get the will to stop playing, haha.

Eh, I'm more prone to rage-quits, especially if my faction(TR) is losing, which they almost always are. It's hard to keep going when you're endlessly taking it from the rear and there's literally nothing you can do to reverse it by yourself or convince anyone to help.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12334 on: November 15, 2018, 04:35:02 pm »

I am impressed this game is still running. How long did the original Planetside run for?

I forget if I mentioned this but I stopped playing largely because the group I liked to play with seemed to disappear and I could never find another group like it.
When you're bored go look up "PooNanners Planetside 2" on youtube.
E: Nevermind, he has a website apparently.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:38:24 pm by Ozyton »

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: November 17, 2018, 11:32:08 am »

The original planetside ran for a surprisingly long time, considering it was basically unsupported for most of it.

It ran from 2003 until 2016, so 13 years.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:34:55 am by zombat »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12336 on: November 21, 2018, 05:06:20 pm »

I was suprised to see an article about a PS2 update after this was brought up so recently. Apparently there's a fourth faction (officially, too!) in the works. You have to pay the monthly subscription to play as them but you automatically go fight for the 'weakest' faction at the time. They can't use any of the faction-specific weapons or vehicles though.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12337 on: November 22, 2018, 08:54:41 am »

Sounds like a mercenary faction (in a more literal sense than the NC), is that about right?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12338 on: December 13, 2018, 01:48:41 pm »

Well... Daybreak games just revealed their new project on stream(Planetside Arena) and was met with pretty much instant disappointment. They're basically going to try to reuse planetside 2 assets  to try to be yet another flavor of battlefield, complete with premium passes and competing for a userbase in an already oversaturated market. They're also looking at competing with themselves, they're trying to attract fans of planetside 2 with something that takes out what made PS2 stand out from the other battlefield games.

Edit: Also, forgot to mention it, but it goes without saying that they put in a battle royale mode. What cash grab doesn't these days?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:43:23 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12339 on: December 13, 2018, 04:40:57 pm »

I was confused upon seeing the Steam news, the immediately disappointed.

Will we ever get another decent MMOFPS? Do people even want one? (I do)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12340 on: December 14, 2018, 06:58:31 am »

I saw the email in my inbox today and thought "Oh what's this".

Apparently PUBG with a planetside skin :(

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12341 on: December 14, 2018, 07:06:45 am »

I wouldn't be disappointed yet. It seems like this is a way to get more people into the Planetside IP. PS2 has been basically a noob grinder for forever, and I think a more-casual game to get people in is fine.

I'd be disappointed if it meant they'd discontinue Planetside 2, but so far those fears seem unfounded.

Ninjaedit: Also, it's not just Battle Royale. They plan a lot of gamemodes, some coming later in "seasons". We'll see what that brings...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12342 on: December 14, 2018, 09:26:42 pm »

Also, it's not just Battle Royale. They plan a lot of gamemodes, some coming later in "seasons". We'll see what that brings...

Further spending from the players.  ;D

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12343 on: December 19, 2018, 01:23:00 pm »

So for a limited time you can get a lifetime all-access membership for $300. https://www.planetside2.com/news/ps2-winter-extravaganza-2018

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12344 on: December 19, 2018, 11:32:37 pm »

So for a limited time you can get a lifetime all-access membership for $300. https://www.planetside2.com/news/ps2-winter-extravaganza-2018

That seems likes a very bad investment considering how little of a team is left handling the game and how they'll be wanting to convert PS2 players to Planetside Arena. Feels like a last attempt to get a large stack of cash from PS2 before moving on.
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 826