Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1068057 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #12345 on: December 24, 2018, 02:03:08 pm »

So for a limited time you can get a lifetime all-access membership for $300. https://www.planetside2.com/news/ps2-winter-extravaganza-2018

Shit, I wanted this.

Remember, it's not only PS2, but probably future games. It doesn't seem like Daybreak is going under, even assuming PS2 is gonna die (which it won't :P).
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: December 30, 2018, 03:30:36 pm »

In a fit of extreme rage, I've uninstalled this. I don't think I'll be reinstalling it any time soon.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12347 on: December 30, 2018, 10:46:20 pm »

Was it a problem with the game or the players?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12348 on: December 31, 2018, 07:54:06 am »

Both, I guess. Just a number of minor aggravations that culminated into a single breakdown. And frankly, if a game makes me feel like that, I probably shouldn't be playing it anymore.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: January 26, 2019, 11:43:13 pm »

Reinstalled to play with some dicks in an Arms Race, posting here to better organize and also add attention.

Currently have an NC character on Connery - SBTreeLobster if you've been lucky enough to get teamkilled by me. I've got some good leadership certs and some nice loadouts and vehicle upgrades I need to get used to again, but I'm willing to start fresh like a newborn baby wherever we have the most dudes. Mostly due to the aforementioned not being used to things.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: March 20, 2019, 05:13:38 pm »

New patch today. Main thing is some kind of sidequest thing for the 20th birthday of Everquest. Reward is a knife, then an upgrade for the knife. One more year and Everquest can legally drink!

Adjustments to NC MAX shotguns to (on paper) make them less of a literal skullfuck every time.

Tanks now do more damage to each other and Sunderers(except shielded Sundies). Harassers actually take less AP damage now while an engineer in the back seat repairs slightly faster.

All factions get a new carbine. VS's Horizon fires a horizontal spread from the hip, vertical spread while aiming down the sights. NC's Charger has increased damage for the first few shots after a reload. The TR's Kindred has an increased RoF(apparently highest in the game) for the first few shots when pulling the trigger before slowing down, requiring you to release the trigger and fire again to maintain fire rate.

ESFs of all factions can have Wyrm missiles, basically a slower but harder-hitting lock-on missiles. The other A2A lockons were further nerfed against ESFs. Again. Though apparently the Wyrms are usable against enemy ESFs. EDIT: Got into game, they're actually wing-mounted big-ass machine guns.

Liberator Tank Buster and Vektor have lost their ability to swivel while aiming(that is still the main shtick of the Spur). Tank Buster has higher bullet velocity.

The Walker AA gun got decent buffs to fire rate and damage vs Liberators.

Fire Suppression got some buffs, particularly to cooldown times. Flashes(which have plenty of options besides FS) got a massive cooldown buff: now half the time it was.
They also (claim to) fixed the bug of FS not putting out a burning ESF or ANT. That's killed me a few times, so that's good.

Gate Shield Diffuser got some interesting buffs: cooldown reduced, duration is 15 seconds at all ranks(was 8/10/12/14 before), and now stops "most" types of collision damage. Like ramming. Note, this does not apply to the other vehicle(unless they use a GSD too).

Engineer's anti-tank turret had the damage type changed to the same as tank shells, meaning the tank damage changes above will apply.

Hardlight Barriers now take vastly more damage from anything bigger than small arms. In the devs' own words: "Dev Note: We've done a once-over on the Hardlight Barrier's resistances to put it more in line with the amount of damage you'd expect a magical space wall to take from heavy ordnance."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:22:06 pm by Akura »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12351 on: April 26, 2019, 05:03:27 pm »

11GB update just dropped. Biggest part of the patch, and the reason it's an 11GB download, is that the entire game engine has been overhauled, adding DirectX 11 integration. Changes to the file formats and the way they're transferred should also inhibit hackers for a little bit(based on their words, mind you).

NS Operatives are added. Paid members can become NS Operatives who, upon joining a server, will be assigned to the faction with the lowest population, working as a team-balancing force. If they change server, they're reassigned. Operatives can only use NS weapons, and (currently) lack access to MAXes, MBTs, or ESFs.

New random event: Refuel & Resupply. On start, two Refineries will appear on the map. Players can deliver Cortium with an ANT to either of these. When a refinery is full, it disappears and a new one spawns. The faction with the most Cortium delivered at the end of the event wins, and receives a 20% nanite discount on ANTs and Sunderers.

I haven't opened the game yet, but the DBG forums are already saying the update is a massive shitshow. But that isn't particularly surprising.

EDIT: Initially, graphics looked smoother, but getting into an actual fight I found numerous graphical issues. Screen flashing from weather, particle effects deforming, etc. Also, the flashlight doesn't work at all, either the light or its ability to reveal cloaked infiltrators.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:18:39 pm by Akura »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12352 on: April 27, 2019, 01:50:31 am »

I wanted to try this out again but I was having horrible lag issues. Every ten seconds or so, every player on the map would start wildly warping around. Had the same issue before the latest patch, so I can't quite blame the new engine... it's just frustrating because I used to play Planetside 2 on a lower bandwidth, higher ping, and less stable connection back in the day without serious issues.

The NS operatives have really good models, I guess. That's really the only thing I could experience in the hour or so I tried playing!

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12353 on: April 27, 2019, 08:10:36 am »

I don't get the point of adding a merc faction of robot dudes, especially if they're restricted access to vehicles.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12354 on: April 27, 2019, 10:39:50 am »

I thoroughly enjoy the practice of cramming more into PS2 without polishing previous additions. Nothing like building up a backlog of necessary fixes that get complicated by adding additional shit to the game!

The game felt amazing for a leg like me a bit back, and maybe it's because I don't play it for hours at a time every day anymore and I'm a few years older, but it just doesn't feel as fun anymore. It's guaranteed that two teams will ignore one another and bully one out of existence unless absolutely necessary. I haven't had many sessions since I picked it back up a few months back where the front was more than just two sharp spearheads absolutely grinding the NC to dust. Just my relatively recent experience.

And wow, looking at the Reddit, things are not looking great after this patch.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12355 on: May 03, 2019, 10:21:37 am »

I thoroughly enjoy the practice of cramming more into PS2 without polishing previous additions. Nothing like building up a backlog of necessary fixes that get complicated by adding additional shit to the game!

I think at this point it's too late, and they might feel the same way too. Teasing new features to pull back players (even if for a short time) is basically all Daybreak can do anymore to sustain themselves. A prolonged period of content-drought could cost some people their jobs, and at that point there's no going back. Granted, I think this update has surprisingly little to interest all but the most dedicated of players to return.

Not that I don't adore the idea; PS2 is unbelievably buggy and patches at release state are even more so. It definitely needs months of TLC, but without a windfall and a change of dev direction, it's never going to happen.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12356 on: May 03, 2019, 04:50:54 pm »

My guess is, they're using PS2 as a testbed for what they're doing with Planetside Arena.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12357 on: May 04, 2019, 08:26:54 am »

I just migrated to Connery if there’s any west-coasters who want to play with a laggy convict
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12358 on: May 12, 2019, 08:57:18 pm »

On the bright side, I'm getting 50-70 fps in major battles on high/ultra settings now as opposed to 15-30. That alone was enough to draw me back for a while.

I don't get the point of adding a merc faction of robot dudes, especially if they're restricted access to vehicles.
They're a more elegant way of population-balancing. Faction queues work, but they're shitty for everyone involved: they don't make people play on the underpopped factions, and people who want to play overpopped factions are SOL. Nobody went "Oh I guess I'll swap to my (whatever) character while they're getting shitstomped," nor did they go "Oh I guess I'll go to an empty continent and ghostcap everything for two hours," they either closed the game or did something else while waiting.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: May 13, 2019, 06:56:33 am »

On the bright side, I'm getting 50-70 fps in major battles on high/ultra settings now as opposed to 15-30. That alone was enough to draw me back for a while.

I've had the opposite experience, I had to set everything to medium. Otherwise, the game keeps freezing up every few frames even though the fps counter stays at 40fps. Everything at medium isn't great, especially since it's nearly impossible to see infiltrator cloaks. And since flashlights are still broken(they reveal cloaks, but the normal light is gone and there's no indication that it's on or what its effect area is), more people are going for infiltrator.

Also, is there a way to set the frame cap over 40fps? In UserSettings.ini the fps cap is set to 250(for some reason), but in game it stays at 40.
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826