Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Boatmurdered recognised in Diablo 3/LoTR discussion.  (Read 36275 times)

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered recognised in Diablo 3
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2012, 01:07:47 am »

The feminist movement starts with the right to wear skirts, heels, and makeup.
Disturbing.

Reminds me of how I once got moody dwarves pretty early on and both crafted a short skirt. Since both of the crafters were 150year old manly Urists, I presumed that blue wool skirts were their fetish they were reliving in their last years. Now I know that they were trying to express their inner wodwarf. It takes some dwarfiness to wear a ¤short skirt¤ and high boots.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2012, 01:11:40 am »

Well, I expect that Dwarf Fortress is going to have a little joke in every game, now. Just give it time.
Remember the thread where someone pointed out there's a giant, washed out "Bay 12" in the terran base in SC2? That could have been written off as a coincidence but I'm becoming more convinced it was a subtle nod towards the site. Clearly, some people (or maybe just one guy, who knows) at blizzard are fans of DF. I definitely can see this becoming a recurring thing.

I can clearly see why gimli would get the hots for a sexually ambiguous legolas, what with the long flowing blonde hair, and willowy frame and all.
Does he NEED to be sexually frustrated? I mean, god damn. I'd bang him. I'll bet elves have super interesting sex too. But can you imagine trying to get in his pants with that life-long union thing? And then, he would totally outlive me by years anyway, and that's depressing.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2012, 01:24:44 am »

Remember the thread where someone pointed out there's a giant, washed out "Bay 12" in the terran base in SC2? That could have been written off as a coincidence but I'm becoming more convinced it was a subtle nod towards the site.

The name "Bay 12" is itself a reference; to one of the Alien Trilogy films, I think. Might've been a reference to that instead.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2012, 01:34:47 am »

Remember the thread where someone pointed out there's a giant, washed out "Bay 12" in the terran base in SC2? That could have been written off as a coincidence but I'm becoming more convinced it was a subtle nod towards the site.

The name "Bay 12" is itself a reference; to one of the Alien Trilogy films, I think. Might've been a reference to that instead.
Mmm, that would make sense. I was never really a starcraft fan but I think the zerglings drew some inspiration from the film. Unless it's a double-reference, but I'm getting ahead of myself here.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2012, 01:38:37 am »

+15 Intelligence ? yeah right

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2012, 02:20:54 am »

Blizzard has made a Dwarf Fortress reference at least once, in World of Warcraft. They're certainly aware of the game. But then again it'd probably be easier to mention something Blizzard doesn't reference in their games.

Starcraft 2 Bay12 reference is a lot more shaky, it might be a DF reference, especially considering the fairly dwarven character design of Mr. Swann who resides there. But then it's probably more likely that it's just a bulky guy in an Alien referencing cargo bay.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2012, 06:26:07 am »

Back in the Oblivion days there was a mod for equitable beards (no facial hair in vanilla Oblivion!), as an equitable item though you could enchant your beard.

Hang on a sec, *equips magic beard*, right ready!

"Dorfbeard the Beard of Dorfiness"

-20 Intelligence
+20 Speechcraft

No other effects.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2012, 06:59:08 am »

I don't think legolas was married.  As far as elves go, he was "young".  His dad, the king of murkwood, was against his leaving home, IIRC.

That still doesn't negate the extremely unmasculine "bromance" those two had.

The book made it seem pretty clear that those guys were manly as all heck. As opposed to the movie where I despised the way they insisted on showing Gimli as slightly better than a buffoon.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2012, 08:15:23 am »

I don't think legolas was married.  As far as elves go, he was "young".  His dad, the king of murkwood, was against his leaving home, IIRC.

That still doesn't negate the extremely unmasculine "bromance" those two had.

The book made it seem pretty clear that those guys were manly as all heck. As opposed to the movie where I despised the way they insisted on showing Gimli as slightly better than a buffoon.
"And my axe!"
Four pages of LoTR, and I'm the first to say that considering what the legendary item is? =(
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2012, 08:47:23 am »

Let me guess: The One Ring was an artifact Glumprong ring that moody Sauron made and started tantrumming after a man stole it?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2012, 09:05:24 am »

Back in the Oblivion days there was a mod for equitable beards (no facial hair in vanilla Oblivion!), as an equitable item though you could enchant your beard.

Hang on a sec, *equips magic beard*, right ready!

"Dorfbeard the Beard of Dorfiness"

-20 Intelligence
+20 Speechcraft

No other effects.
I could totally imagine that in an oblivion mod.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2012, 09:37:46 am »

Let me guess: The One Ring was an artifact Glumprong ring that moody Sauron made and started tantrumming after a man stole it?

Probably a Kobold thief who killed the real Isildur and got a title which happened to be exactly the same. Why didn't anyone notice? Same reason they don't find clown diplomats weird.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2012, 01:39:35 pm »

Actually it is quite common in all fantasy settings for Dwarven women to have the capability to grow beards. Even in Lord of the Rings, Gimli states that many humans don't know that Dwarven women exist because their beards make them look like men.

That's movie, not book.   He also says "dwarves are natural sprinters" which is in direct contradiction to the books where there is mention of a whole army of dwarves long distance running to a battle.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2012, 01:44:23 pm »

I'm going to the guess that was added by a (movie) writer that doesn't understand the difference between long distance running and sprinting.  The dwarves are lousy sprinters, but are very good long distance runners.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2012, 02:22:21 pm »

I'm going to the guess that was added by a (movie) writer that doesn't understand the difference between long distance running and sprinting.  The dwarves are lousy sprinters, but are very good long distance runners.

More added by a writer who wasn't a LOTR fanboy who thought it would be funny, since he had Gimli say the exact opposite.  it as during the epic run where they were chasing down the kidnapped hobbits.

Movie companies really should know better than to let someone who isn't a complete geek about it work on writing the really epic stuff.  it's not like there's a shortage of supergeek talented writers, just look at fanfic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7