Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Boatmurdered recognised in Diablo 3/LoTR discussion.  (Read 35855 times)

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered recognised in Diablo 3
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2012, 09:37:29 pm »

Honestly, if anything, it should give an Intelligence penalty.
This is Dwarf Fortress we're talking about. There isn't a fortress that is not doomed in some way by dwarven stupidity.
Oh my goodness, so true, Everyone was estatic and they went into tantrums 3 seconds later. D: R.I.P Boltcradle.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered recognised in Diablo 3/LoTR discussion.
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2012, 11:53:35 pm »

It seems torchlight references DF as well. One of the dungeon tiers is a 'Dwarven Fortress', with one of the quests being to obtain some 'adaman ember' that the dwarves forged.
Haven't played it, but if it was a quest to retrieve some socks, I'd be convinced. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2012, 05:03:18 am »

Gimli was horribly botched in the movies. He was a very deep character. And I don't know where people are getting a creepy vibe from with him and Legolas... It's like Sam and Frodo. You bond when you've been through horrible things with someone. You love them as a brother. Tolkien knew that quite well, having served in the trenches in WWI. People that haven't been in similar situations with extreme camaraderie tend too often to interpret it as homosexuality, or just plain creepiness.

Yeah, I've heard someone say:
The homosexuals have spoiled the love between men for the rest of us.
Take that as you wish.  :P
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2012, 05:35:26 am »

It seems torchlight references DF as well. One of the dungeon tiers is a 'Dwarven Fortress', with one of the quests being to obtain some 'adaman ember' that the dwarves forged.

Just because there are dwarves and something the name of which reminds one of "adamantine" doesn't make it a reference. If the dwarven fortress -tier and the prison-over-a-sea-of-magma -tier had been one, I would be much more convinced.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2012, 08:26:15 am »

I'm of two minds with the Torchlight one. Torchlight was silly enough that it could have been, but it may just have been a coincidence.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2012, 01:23:21 pm »

Well, after getting the 'adamant ember', the annoying wizard guy who assigns those repetitive quests says "it's surprisingly light, but I doubt anything could scratch it". Playing through the dungeon, I couldn't find any real references inside the level itself, so I think it was just that one. The fact that there's a magma sea as well, infested with goblins who seemed to be besieging the lost dwarven fortress, kind of seems a bit too coincidental.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:24:53 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2012, 02:51:41 pm »

Am I the only one who actually likes the Hobbit cartoon (although my judgement may be clouded by nostalgia, since I had it on tape growing up)?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2012, 04:05:05 pm »

Actually, the roharim chick ended up married to Farimir. She did her bit, and then she went home and married like everyone else in the novel.
That's what happens when you read a novel written during WWII.

Tolkien has repeatedly stated that he did not intend the novels to be allegorical. In fact, he started writing them before WWII even broke out.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2012, 05:07:33 pm »

Holy shit people from Blizzard must be playing Dwarf Fortress! :D
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2012, 05:14:29 pm »

Well, after getting the 'adamant ember', the annoying wizard guy who assigns those repetitive quests says "it's surprisingly light, but I doubt anything could scratch it". Playing through the dungeon, I couldn't find any real references inside the level itself, so I think it was just that one. The fact that there's a magma sea as well, infested with goblins who seemed to be besieging the lost dwarven fortress, kind of seems a bit too coincidental.
Well, adamant itself is an old name for diamond. (Though in many old texts it has also been associated as a word for very hard substances and later used in fantasy as adamantium/adamantine etc.)
Frankly, dwarves having a goblin infestation is a relatively old cliche, for example LotR.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2012, 05:18:04 pm »

Am I the only one who actually likes the Hobbit cartoon (although my judgement may be clouded by nostalgia, since I had it on tape growing up)?

I'm free of nostalgia. I dig it. Though I happen to enjoy Lynch's take on Dune as well so...

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2012, 07:55:59 am »

I hope they do the hobbit right. Please. Please. Please.

Does anyone know what happened to the last survivor of boatmurdered, the child Dodok Sabrefrenzies? I just finished Boatmurdered and after recovering from stitches I'd love to know what happened to her in legends.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2012, 08:45:26 am »

I hope they do the hobbit right. Please. Please. Please.

Does anyone know what happened to the last survivor of boatmurdered, the child Dodok Sabrefrenzies? I just finished Boatmurdered and after recovering from stitches I'd love to know what happened to her in legends.

As I understand it, historical figures aren't simulated beyond generation, so I think that she would just move to a nearby town eventually.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »

Holy shit people from Blizzard must be playing Dwarf Fortress! :D

I think so, because in Alliance-controlled Menethil Harbor, there's two dwarves sitting outside a flooded in, discussing 'flooding the dining room' and 'finding carp behind the furniture for weeks!' :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2012, 01:55:10 pm »

His title is "Gimli, son of Gloin". Male.

But it would have made his questionable "chummyness" with legolas a bit less creepy. (The books are really suggestive.)

Holy crap you are super closeted, insanely homophobic, or in a public high school.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7