Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: D&D Next  (Read 6840 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
D&D Next
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:27:45 pm »

I'll be honest, I don't know if this section is for non-video games. But whatever, I'm sure I'll get corrected!

Anyone here in the playtest for "D&D next"?
What do you think?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D Next
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:43:25 pm »

I'm in. The WotC servers must be being hit pretty hard at the moment - I couldn't even log in to download my copy.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:46:13 pm »

I got mine eventually, sent you a link to a mirror in a PM. I can do the same for anyone else with trouble.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:48:52 pm »

Thanks. A bit unexpected, but not unappreciated. There may be a legal issue with redistributing, though.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:49:49 pm »

Thanks. A bit unexpected, but not unappreciated. There may be a legal issue with redistributing, though.
Redistributing? Not us, no sir.

I wouldn't mind any hypothetical redistributed rulebooks though.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 01:52:28 pm »

I'll take it down if they send me a DMCA.
EDIT: Or if the link gets made public.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 01:54:59 pm »

Damn. Another new edition? That was quicker then I was expecting.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 02:08:49 pm »

Interesting. Any idea what direction they're going? I enjoyed 4th (don't stone me please) but haven't played in ages (babies make it hard, always interupting and eating your dice).

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 02:17:00 pm »

There's an NDA against sharing specifics, I believe.

That being said, I'm generally pleased. It seems to take some of what I liked about 3.x and combine it with some of what I liked about 4.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 02:19:39 pm »

Grr, cursed NDA's. Oh well. Glad to hear their listening to both sides of fans, and trying to strike a balance. I was worried they'd either veer back and try to oust Pathfinder, or veer the other direction and over-streamline.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 02:30:31 pm »

I am also interested in this.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 02:37:06 pm »

I'm interested as well. Never got to play 3.x, so I'll give this one a shot.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 02:44:27 pm »

Oh, it's an OPEN play test. Well, I'll DL it tonight then and check it out.

EDIT: Oh, also, no NDA that I know of, according to this from the FAQ:

Can I blog/post/talk about my playtest experiences with others who may not be in the playtest?

Yes. You may publicly discuss your thoughts about the D&D Next playtest materials and your experiences while playtesting.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 11:41:29 pm »

I'm a little flustered about the whole thing. I might be a little spoiled about playtests, but this one was just kind of... Eh. You've only got materials up to level 3, the characters are pre-gens with precious little (or no?) customization, and some of the rules seem abbreviated. (I did a moderately thorough reading, although I did skim parts - were there ever actually rules for skills outside of the charsheets?) I'm not even going to dwell on the absolute nonsense they've gone through to try and keep people from redistributing their stuff, despite saying we can discuss it openly.

I am rather pleasantly surprised, though, how it seems much more 3rd Edition than 4th Edition. I can't really find much wrong with the rules themselves. I like the idea of Advantages and Disadvantages (which is essentially 'roll 2d20; take the higher/lower of the two rolls'), since it's more interesting than a simple modifier. Not sure if it's that balanced mechanically, but eh. Spellcasting is back to Vancian, for better or worse.

I'm actually a little confused as to how spell preparation works - wizards seem to be exactly like 3rd Edition (prepare exactly the spells you want; cross out each as you cast it). Both clerics have only 2 spells per day and three spells listed as prepared; either there's a typo on both sheets, or clerics prepare a certain number of spells and then can use their spells per day as 'MP', ala Final Fantasy 1. Spells also seem to have absolutely no scaling beyond your ability modifier - except magic missile, which is now a cantrip (which are essentially at-will powers now). For example, Burning Hands always does 2d4+INT damage and that's it, saves excepted.

Everything also seems very streamlined - basically everything now is flat-out an ability check. It's pretty clear they're catering to the old school crowd (what with 10 foot poles and the adventure being Keep on the Borderlands). Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this was someone's rules-lite hack of D&D. I was glad to see the ridiculous rules for surprise rounds from 3e have been replaced with a huge penalty to the surprised side's initiative checks, ranged attacks being simply 'normal within this range, at a disadvantage at long range', and several other simplifications that make good sense.

Oh, and a couple of nuts things; the rogue can never roll under 10 on skills he's trained in, and the healing cleric just kind of says 'screw it' to ever rolling for healing (he automatically rolls maximum) when he hits 3rd.

I guess the TL;DR version here is that I'm tentatively interested by all the little changes I can see, but I would appreciate having had an actual core rulebook's worth of rules rather than a How to Play and some pregens slapped on me. Like I said, maybe I was spoiled by the Pathfinder Beta, but I'd at least liked to have some character creation stuff (the character sheets provide just enough to get me interested). Also, spells scaling at all.

The bitter cynic in me also has a purely knee-jerk reaction of 'You guys DO realize the old school market is already playing Pathfinder/1e/2e/Labyrinth Lord/like, a billion other things?'

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 12:28:47 am »

I really hope they didn't turn their backs on 4th edition entirely.

There were just some things they created in it that I personally love. Rests (AKA You don't HAVE to play with a Cleric) was one thing that could keep the game going even after a very hard encounter.

Also yes the "Other Games" section is for all games. I once posted about boardgames here.
Pages: [1] 2 3