Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get version 0.31.12  (Read 1136 times)

Anomwarrior

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to get version 0.31.12
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:59:55 pm »

Hi!
I want to play on a computer equipped with a ppc, and I read in another thread that I was limited to the versions 0.31.12 and older. However, when I go to the download section on the page Bay 12 Games, the line concerning the mac download for this version is not hyperlinked. My question therefore is: why is that? Also, how may I get hold of this version?
Thanks a lot for your answers :)
Anomwarrior
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:58:39 pm by Anomwarrior »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: How to get version 0.34.12
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:13:51 pm »

nm
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:15:39 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:35:00 pm »

might want to change your title to 31.12, since 34 only goes to .10

there probably is a file storage somewhere where you can find it, even though not through the main page. good luck
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:36:45 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:45:11 pm »

Older versions are available on the older versions page, appropriately enough.

Anyway, you're looking for version 31.12, not 34.12. 34.12 hasn't yet been released and likely won't be for at least a week and a half.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:55:07 pm »

as OP stated, the mac version for 31.12 can't be downloaded from there
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Anomwarrior

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: How to get version 0.31.12
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:02:55 pm »

I am deeply sorry for my wrong title. I meant of course 0.31.12, otherwise my post wouldn't make sens at all. I corrected it. Thanks for warning me.
However, I can't seem to find the file anywhere. Should I move to an older version? And why are the versions 0.31.01 to 0.31.12 unavailable?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 04:24:24 pm »

As best as I am able to understand from the 2010 dev log (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_2010.html) around September Tarn Adams discovered that his SDL license did not allow him to distribute SDL versions for DF 31.06 through 31.12.  Since Linux and Mac versions are also missing for those versions, perhaps they also used the SDL package?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:11 am »

I see that you're new here; welcome to the Bay 12 Forums!

Dwarf Fortress is a deceptive game- it looks like a primitive ASCII game, but it places extreme performance demands on even modern computers because of the enormous volume of pathfinding and item handling that the game has to do (and Toady has admitted that the code is underoptimized.) World generation is also highly resource intensive, although you only have to do it once.

I'd be very surprised if you can get acceptable performance out of even an older version of Dwarf Fortress on a PowerPC machine. .40d was almost unplayable after a couple of migrant waves on my 1 GHZ G4 Powerbook, even on 2x2 embarks. World generation could take an hour or more depending on parameters.

As far as I can tell the major limiting factor is that the front side bus on the PowerPC 74** series is horribly slow- it was designed for single-channel SDRAM and can't even run DDR1 at full bandwidth. Dwarf Fortress performance is highly tied to RAM performance.

The last generation of G4 machines were very sad- packed with high-performance components that the processor was completely incapable of using to their full capacity. They put DDR2 in the last generation of Powerbooks even though the machine could only run it at something like 1/4 of its rated speed.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:18:32 am by Niyazov »