Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 383512 times)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

To keep it on the front page, you need good ideas.

I am suddenly reminded of a game someone ran ages ago. There were two kings who set bounties on everything an an army of peasants who did the jobs to grab the bounty. And it was done on Lego. Anyone remember what it was?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

I always have random ideas for Freeform games floating through my head. I'm trying to come up with mechanics that can work and keep the game going. So far I've found that tons of player influence on the world and story are good, without going into the realm of Godmodding. Whenever I start one, I normally post world events that either spark actions or are consequences of actions from the players, which helps to keep the players from doing whatever in the Hell they want and adds some structure. There is, however, a point where they don't have hardly enough control at all. Keeping Freeform afloat is tough, to be sure. Now I'm just rambling, but eh, whatever.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

The trouble with freeform is that people go into arcs that no-one can really get into, which is a problem. Another problem is that if one stupid player stumbles in and godmods, you can't really get rid of him truly without asking Toady to ban him, which is a bit much. And plus, that one stupid player can in fact drag the whole game down.

Speaking of, I was thinking of reviving Keeping Up With Bay12. Any thoughts?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Freeform is the one game type I always avoid because of the inherent problems Fniff stated among others. I'd prefer to have an RPG with a GM, even if it was completely open-ended and we could do anything or be anything (like a free-form RP) outside of the GM telling us what we see and hear (and possibly determining success and failure on actions, though not required).

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do you think would keep a new KUWB12 afloat? Cos I really liked that RP.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I am suddenly reminded of a game someone ran ages ago. There were two kings who set bounties on everything an an army of peasants who did the jobs to grab the bounty. And it was done on Lego. Anyone remember what it was?
Majesty, LEGO edition. Don't remember the proper name or who did it, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

I Fucking Loved keeping up. It's what got me on these forums in the first place. And like you said, one player can drag things down. I had a rather good Survival Horror freeform going in which the players were trapped in a steampunk city sized starship that was under assault by horrorterrors. It was going good up until somebody started godmodding, and while I'm not going to drop any names those that played know exactly who I'm talking about. You see, everybody had a certain amount of sanity that was restored by light and safety, and in the only true encounter I got to before the game died the godmodder decided to shoot at a horror terror, causing it to scream and make them lose sanity. Oh, except for the godmodder because he was Ythian or some shit. And thus, with no regard for the rest of the team, even though they were being driven increasingly insane from the shots and the screaming, he kept firing and firing. No body could put up with his shit and everybody quit.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do you think would keep a new KUWB12 afloat? Cos I really liked that RP.
Oh, except for the godmodder because he was Ythian or some shit. And thus, with no regard for the rest of the team, even though they were being driven increasingly insane from the shots and the screaming, he kept firing and firing. No body could put up with his shit and everybody quit.

Finding a way to prevent stuff like this, possibly.

OscarComrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

God Domnot Fniff when are you going to finish Kobold Quest

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile

I've been thinking of doing an illustrated suggestion adventure based on my Objecticon game, but I don't think I'd be able to keep up even a few updates a week with my terrible art skills and tendency to procrastinate...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eureka!

Basically, godmodders get "Warned" at first to stop godmodding, and their godmodding posts are said to be "Non-canon". If they continue, then the first post is edited to add them to a thing called an ignore list. Any person on the ignore list is to be ignored by other players when they post on the thread.

And Kobold Quest...

Well. I have respect for the dead, and I think that my ideas for Kobold Quest have floated away from me.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been thinking of doing an illustrated suggestion adventure based on my Objecticon game, but I don't think I'd be able to keep up even a few updates a week with my terrible art skills and tendency to procrastinate...

Oh yes. I loved reading Objecticon.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Eureka!

Basically, godmodders get "Warned" at first to stop godmodding, and their godmodding posts are said to be "Non-canon". If they continue, then the first post is edited to add them to a thing called an ignore list. Any person on the ignore list is to be ignored by other players when they post on the thread
But who's going to decide that. If it's one person, what are you going to do if he posts when you ain't online. After all, the thread will have moved one.

If there are multiple, what to do if there was  a conflict.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The players would be trusted to ignore their posts, since it'd be the first post with big red letters saying you should read it before posting.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Have every post sent by PM to the vetting OP who then posts every suggestion that makes it.

Sorry, I'm getting carried away.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 237