Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 383908 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3195 on: September 04, 2017, 04:58:08 pm »

So I recently both played Master of Orion 2 and stumbled upon my old Yes Arena, and uhhhhh.

Things happened!

Needs a thorough proofread, though, as I'm fairly sure some numbers might be wonky in places.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: September 04, 2017, 10:03:53 pm »

Hmmm. I feel Plasma should not be kinetic but be a heat ray family. As in MOO they were lumped in that by making their max range really low. ( And their special effect was hitting all sides of ship/shields at once)

Also decided in my Commander Game to cut down player options to Loyalist or Rebels. Depending on choices as to good or bad guys.

Just doing basic rules now.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: September 05, 2017, 07:13:39 pm »

Decided that screw it. Just imperials. But get four options to define the empire your serving.  Making it easier to script events. But yeah may do other games of rebel or Zeno in future if it works.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3198 on: September 14, 2017, 11:45:35 am »

Not usually my cup of tea, closest thing I hosted was ZL, though I did play one once. Anyway, I might suggest someone who finds themselves often a part of God Games make a hub thread. They are too popular to ignore.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Briefing

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: September 21, 2017, 07:00:32 pm »

As for my game working on here are some general rules.

There will be 7 phases a turn. The first is mission statement in which one can take part in up to six missions, doing so yields lots of results, but spreads you thin.

Second is design phase, in true Sensei fashion.

Third is revise anything the player feels needs it.

Fourth is sending which units you want on said missions and equipped with said gear.

Fifth is Tactics phase, where you use budget of Command points and resource points to do (or not do) things in upcoming conflict. That can make big changes, but can have negative backlash.

Sixith is actual combat. Die rolls and tactics used.

Seventh is results. Getting points depending on job done and units upgrade via experience.

Then repeat said cycle until it's done.

There is also the Randomized roll chart I made, for starting gear and units. As well as all seven enemies you will be facing in time.

You the players do pick "some" starter things though like specialty gear and preferred tactics and your home world.

As well as your commander character's attitude (That affects things.)

So how does that sound?

And this is not player vs player. It's forum vs GM enemies/npcs. (But they can improve too, or maybe not. As they get rolls too.)

Thinking Prometheus thing, but Warhammer 40k/Space Opera in scope.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:07:31 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3200 on: September 21, 2017, 08:13:58 pm »

There will be 7 phases a turn. The first is mission statement in which one can take part in up to six missions, doing so yields lots of results, but spreads you thin.

Second is design phase, in true Sensei fashion.

Third is revise anything the player feels needs it.

Fourth is sending which units you want on said missions and equipped with said gear.

Fifth is Tactics phase, where you use budget of Command points and resource points to do (or not do) things in upcoming conflict. That can make big changes, but can have negative backlash.

Sixth is actual combat. Die rolls and tactics used.

Seventh is results. Getting points depending on job done and units upgrade via experience.

Then repeat said cycle until it's done.

There is also the Randomized roll chart I made, for starting gear and units. As well as all seven enemies you will be facing in time.

You the players do pick "some" starter things though like specialty gear and preferred tactics and your home world.

As well as your commander character's attitude (That affects things.)

So how does that sound?

And this is not player vs player. It's forum vs GM enemies/npcs. (But they can improve too, or maybe not. As they get rolls too.)
Arms Race already takes days to over a week just to complete a single turn. Exploding the game into seven phases is going to make it take a real year to complete an in-game year. If anything people should be looking for ways to expedite Arms Race so it plays faster. That's just me though.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: September 21, 2017, 08:58:20 pm »

It's only three fronts at a time. All seven foes are not at once and alternatives to getting rid of them as problems  Like tricking them to kill each other or even allying with you.

Trying to do a space war arms race with a bit of fluff aside people killing each other for X reason.

Edit: I could just edit it so against only one foe. Exactly that. One if object to multi fronts. Tricky thing is I wanted the options of rebels so two fronts at least. But can settle on one. Still Prometheus style in community vs npc.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:10:27 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: September 23, 2017, 11:33:15 am »

After thinking about Pantheon for a bit, I'm considering running a god game where players only use cards. Basic idea follows.

Spoiler: Basic Idea inside (click to show/hide)
Feedback?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: September 23, 2017, 01:02:41 pm »

Yeah if pick rebels. Just fight Empire. If pick Empire. Roll one enemy from enemy pool.

Card game God thing is cool.

Oh and Rebels is more simple get up. Empire is a bit more investing in starting (as you get to pick your base there. Rebel side you get a auto picked world via choice.)

Archon game. Decided no spell list. Just levels 0-5 of each ability and each level leads to said tricks.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: September 23, 2017, 07:16:53 pm »

After thinking about Pantheon for a bit, I'm considering running a god game where players only use cards. Basic idea follows.

Spoiler: Basic Idea inside (click to show/hide)
Feedback?
This seems like a good idea.

Ooh, maybe you could gain cards based on worship. The type of cards you get would be based on what mortals view you as/think you represent/worship you for (i.e. if you start killing loads of people for no reason, you might become worshipped as a god of murder or death), with the power of those cards being based on how much worship you receive/how emphasized a particular aspect of yourself is over your other aspects (i.e. if you help people grow crops and stuff but only go on killing sprees every thousand or so years, you'd receive stronger Agriculture cards than you would Death cards, and would likely receive Agriculture cards more often than Death cards as well).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: September 23, 2017, 10:09:21 pm »

Feedback?
A lot of the fun in card games is the frenetic guessing and tactical deployment regarding what you have/might have versus what your opponent has/might have. If that's not the case, for instance if it's just freeform doing whatever because you can, I suspect you'll lose a lot of the point and it'll just be a faff-about god game with obnoxious restrictions.

A lot of the fun in card games is also building and testing out your deck, gaining and adding new cards, building new decks totally different from that other deck, and so on. If you toss that out, I suspect you'll similarly lose a lot of the depth and appeal.

I'd be hesitant to let things cancel other things out. It can be good/essential for gameplay, such as the way creatures can murder each other, but overdone it tends to make things less interesting rather than more, as when each player just sort of sacrifices their creatures to murder the enemy's creatures instantly, resulting in a mostly empty board for most of the game.

I'd pay special mind to the purpose behind power levels and targeting and the like. There can be perfectly valid reasons for one player to draw Curse I and another Curse II, but it can also become obnoxiously fiddly and arbitrary. There are similarly valid reasons to let Curse affect only very specific targets, literally anything, anything if you can justify it, and so on, but it's another area that's prone to just sort of accidentally defining the nature of the game in strange ways.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: September 23, 2017, 10:34:45 pm »

Feedback?
A lot of the fun in card games is the frenetic guessing and tactical deployment regarding what you have/might have versus what your opponent has/might have. If that's not the case, for instance if it's just freeform doing whatever because you can, I suspect you'll lose a lot of the point and it'll just be a faff-about god game with obnoxious restrictions.

A lot of the fun in card games is also building and testing out your deck, gaining and adding new cards, building new decks totally different from that other deck, and so on. If you toss that out, I suspect you'll similarly lose a lot of the depth and appeal.

I'd be hesitant to let things cancel other things out. It can be good/essential for gameplay, such as the way creatures can murder each other, but overdone it tends to make things less interesting rather than more, as when each player just sort of sacrifices their creatures to murder the enemy's creatures instantly, resulting in a mostly empty board for most of the game.

I'd pay special mind to the purpose behind power levels and targeting and the like. There can be perfectly valid reasons for one player to draw Curse I and another Curse II, but it can also become obnoxiously fiddly and arbitrary. There are similarly valid reasons to let Curse affect only very specific targets, literally anything, anything if you can justify it, and so on, but it's another area that's prone to just sort of accidentally defining the nature of the game in strange ways.
Thing I learned today: "Frenetic" is a word.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: September 25, 2017, 03:23:03 pm »

Well no computer so no game submission today. But I have decided one only one for and three game style systems.

1: Listed above. Start out at blank/default so true arms race.

2: The randomized for enemy implies for starting gear, tech and units. After intro it's a arms race affair.

3: No Arms race elements at all. All units availed at start with corresponding gear. No research. You just try to do best as a legit Commander/ tactics choices. (So would not be Arms race. More super militant SG sort of deal.)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: October 04, 2017, 11:30:44 pm »

Well no computer so no game submission today. But I have decided one only one for and three game style systems.

1: Listed above. Start out at blank/default so true arms race.

2: The randomized for enemy implies for starting gear, tech and units. After intro it's a arms race affair.

3: No Arms race elements at all. All units availed at start with corresponding gear. No research. You just try to do best as a legit Commander/ tactics choices. (So would not be Arms race. More super militant SG sort of deal.)

You could combine the design phase into one, submit both revisions and designs at the same time, so you can only revise older designs, the one for this turn will be a prototype or whatever.

Then combine the first, fourth and fifth together into one phase where posted missions can be assigned troops, equipment and commander actions.

Then roll for what happens and post it, then make up some new mission.

This is just how I would stream line it to make it run faster, if that becomes a problem.  It still has the seven steps but it looks like and plays like three.

Not sure if you wanted the missions themselves to be more dynamic, with commander actions coming in the middle or something once more is known.

So for example you post that there are three missions, kill the guy, blow up a factory and take a bridge.

Then we decide to design a new high quality boot and revise our old helmets to have fancy feathers.

Then commanders can send various squads on each mission and equip them with fancy helmets and quality boots, or not, and decide to use what command tactics, all of this being posted at once.

Then you figure out what happens and report it and the consequences.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: October 05, 2017, 06:02:39 am »

I already decided to cut it down on main thread that gear equip and tactics is same turn, last one( aftermath) is totally bullied and will now do design/revision on same turn. To further cut it down.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 237