Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 228

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 251148 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3300 on: March 30, 2018, 09:12:53 pm »

Duly noted.

Now, one more question.

IO is familiar with the system of calcdarksoulframe, where each player specifies a sequence of actions to make, and then each piece (frame) of that sequence is evaluated simultaneously for all players and monsters. So actions look somewhat like,

Move North -> Move East -> Cast fireball at (6,2) -> Shenanigans -> Move South

So the game is designed to be about making successful anticipations of the enemy in order to kill without ever presenting a target. However, with four people and friendly fire, it's also about coordinating with your team members.

That in mind, I was thinking of making it against the rules to explicitly post your action sequence in the thread, and to instead PM it to me, so that the communication of what each player is doing has to be hammered out between the characters. Thus it's less of a mind-reading fest where every player decodes every other player's action string, and more each player PMing me the action string and then trying (or not) to communicate to the others what they're trying to accomplish.

How cruel is this?

Edit Note, particularly when you have items that need good coordination to actually pull off well, such as...

Spoiler: Deathball (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:17:47 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: March 31, 2018, 12:39:13 pm »

How cruel is this?
I think this is very cruel to the GM, as poking through your inbox for actions sounds obnoxious.

As for the players... I think this'll probably end up fairly binary: Either the players communicate effectively with each other and there's no real difference, or they'll just do their own thing and things will go poorly.

Spoiler: Deathball (click to show/hide)
This is monstrously evil, but will probably make everyone very interested in arranging the perfect spirit bomb pinball combo.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unrelated to anything, I miss Small Mercies.
"Next, you're gonna wanna fuse the soul of a god with the devourer of time and space and cook it into a nice curry, which you'll find the instructions to in our previous video."
2,500+ chapters about slapping faces

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: April 01, 2018, 09:39:13 pm »

Well, if people want to take a look, here's the rough, needs pizazz, definitely not even it's final form version of das rules.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unrelated to anything, I miss Small Mercies.

You and me both. I periodically long to start that back up again. I still wonder why I left it there, since you're basically just waiting on the King of Strengar and the Crow to get back + the shuttle, and then everyone could meet back for booze.

Maybe I should update that. No one would expect that move. Give the deepstate FBI agents monitoring my lack of fillings a real turn.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr.Peasley what do you mean by 'we're outta yarn'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: April 04, 2018, 09:46:39 am »

* Haspen raises paw.

Why the heck are all those various unrelated suggestion games using 'spam' prefix? Most of them have more than one character design option or don't even use 'one of few' choice options, and updates are both lengthy and come about rarely - basically antithesis of spam progression!

This is siphoning away muh fame and fabulousness! Dis is outrage! V:<
SigFlags!
SPAMhub!&Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! and 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody cared who I was until I found Sub-Wikis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: April 04, 2018, 09:51:28 am »

Imitation is the highest form of flattery?

I guess SPAM titles have become a shorthand for 'suggestion game'
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: April 04, 2018, 09:54:50 am »

'Grats, Haspen baby, you're a brand name now.
---

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: April 04, 2018, 12:05:56 pm »

I hate it honestly. I feel like FG and Rp has become saturated with spam and arms race games. What happened to the original creations people used to make?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: April 04, 2018, 12:09:44 pm »

I hate it honestly. I feel like FG and Rp has become saturated with spam and arms race games. What happened to the original creations people used to make?

SPAM and AR games are both pretty easy to begin, and AR games have the distinct advantage of players providing all the challenges to one another. All the DM really has to do is mediate.

OC takes a lot of time and effort. The one I'm getting ready to push has more than time than I'd like to admit getting this started- although it's more exception than rule.
---

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: April 04, 2018, 12:15:17 pm »

The thing with Arms Race games is that it takes up a lot of floor space on Page 1; every AR game is at least 3 separate threads and way too many of them never reach even the first battle

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: April 04, 2018, 12:29:56 pm »

There are a lot of Arms Races, sure, but the Core thread is usually rarely posted in. The team threads, especially with Discord, often are only active for a bit after GM updates (which aren’t too frequent) then fall quiet while people wait for another update. So it’s not that huge of a footprint.

I like doing my AR (Mad Arms Race) largely just because of the emergent world building and more it creates. I started with two blank slates of nations, but now one side has a government based around feuding immortal politicians and the other has an “underground” city in a giant and extremely deep borehole-quarry-thing.

That and it’s not like the popularity of Arms Races and SPAMgames are reducing creativity. They’re just the current fad. I personally remember Fire Emblem on Forum games, god games, and the like all being especially popular at certain points.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
  • She/her, they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: April 04, 2018, 01:52:21 pm »

You mean the ones with poorly conceived mechanics? That's how I remember FGnRP. But at least people were trying stuff, I guess, but my point is that all of my games were based on original mechanics and most had an original story, but that didn't make them good.

The number one failing of a game is lack of interest. SPAM and Arms Race consistently garner interest. Maybe people should look for a lesson there and try to make something new out of it instead of complaining that something is too popular.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: April 04, 2018, 02:19:43 pm »

SPAM and AR games both benefit from having a spectacularly low barrier to entry. Anyone can drop in and drop out of a SPAM game at any time with zero consequences. Anyone can join whatever AR team they want whenever and post crazy designs without 'applying' per se.

Custom Critical

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: April 04, 2018, 09:53:24 pm »

* Haspen raises paw.

Why the heck are all those various unrelated suggestion games using 'spam' prefix? Most of them have more than one character design option or don't even use 'one of few' choice options, and updates are both lengthy and come about rarely - basically antithesis of spam progression!

This is siphoning away muh fame and fabulousness! Dis is outrage! V:<
Well, to be fair, you did base those games off of a Steam release indie title known as Kingdom. As you imitate that game to flatter, so too do others imitate you to flatter. It's a circle, my friend.
Self-Improvement Junkie | "Practice without improvement is meaningless."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr.Peasley what do you mean by 'we're outta yarn'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: April 05, 2018, 12:15:00 am »

Well, to be fair, you did base those games off of a Steam release indie title known as Kingdom. As you imitate that game to flatter, so too do others imitate you to flatter. It's a circle, my friend.

I think you meant Reigns ;v?

SigFlags!
SPAMhub!&Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! and 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

roseheart

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Game
    • View Profile
    • SquadCraft: Tides of Dark Chocolate
« Reply #3314 on: April 05, 2018, 01:04:15 am »

*R@ises vine*

You originally called it "Rapid-Fire Minimalistic Dynasty Game".

If we breakdown SPAMKINGDOM

we get SPAM "Rapid-Fire"

..and KINGDOM "Minimalistic Dynasty Game"

You even make a point of keeping this origin in the OP.

Really since Spam can reasonably be inferred to mean 'quick updates' -one might be surprised, that SPAM- games even hold so many other elements in common with yours. Such as being a CYOA rather than SG, centered on a ruler, as a examples.
"[Masahiro Sakurai] deserves a Nobel peace prize for bringing everyone together ☮"
-YouTube commenter
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 228