Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 383341 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3510 on: October 07, 2022, 11:45:27 am »

I dunno, I feel like I miss DnD on these forums. I still remember that campaign Skyrunner did back in the day, introduced me to some great roleplayers. A lot of them have since graduated onto the FEF community for lack of a better term, which has been nice.

Hell I'm surprised we don't run more campaigns of tabletops on here. Could be nice to do that or at least use FGRP as a base for running live sessions elsewhere and keeping AARs of live sessions on here to entice new joiners (granted it's been a while since I posted anything but FEFs here so I don't remember the rules on AARs).

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: October 07, 2022, 11:45:51 am »

I remember when I wanted to do a PbP GURPS game. Looking back, that was ill-advised - GURPS is crunchy enough that doing it play-by-post would be like waiting for a glacier to carry you across the Atlantic.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: October 07, 2022, 11:46:34 am »

Look. Roseheart. Tell me this. What do you believe that people here owe you?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3513 on: October 07, 2022, 11:48:46 am »

not backing down when presented with evidence looks worse. It makes it look like you're just trying to be bellergent.
The only evidence presented was proving my point. At least regarding my own experience. Had even characterized me as a thief of a character sheet, rather than the benefit of the doubt it was a misunderstanding.

My own experiences were colorful enough that I did believe it was systematic issue.

The problem with this is that you haven't actually said "I was wrong and I'm sorry for accusing people"
My experience is true for me, the lack of anyone sharing similar feelings isn't "proof".
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: October 07, 2022, 11:50:56 am »

I remember when I wanted to do a PbP GURPS game. Looking back, that was ill-advised - GURPS is crunchy enough that doing it play-by-post would be like waiting for a glacier to carry you across the Atlantic.
I see. I'm surprised FEF has survived so long with that kinda thing stopping other, more popular games from hitting it off.

....granted, I'm also the one running a lot of the FEFs nowadays, but we're getting that community drive to move stuff off now that we have an actual calculator to do things.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: October 07, 2022, 12:01:32 pm »

If I were feeling petty, I would copy a list of the forum bans and point out how many of them were from FG&RP, but I don't have any particular desire to extend this argument for any longer than is strictly necessary. If you're not willing to listen, why should I waste time talking to you instead of designing my new roleplay, updating Vestals of the Waves, or, hell, even playing video games?

One person does not a pattern make. Follow Occam's Razor: is there a big exclusionary culture that everyone is a part of, or do you need to step back for a bit before you damage your reputation even further than already? I know which one is simpler.

I see. I'm surprised FEF has survived so long with that kinda thing stopping other, more popular games from hitting it off.

....granted, I'm also the one running a lot of the FEFs nowadays, but we're getting that community drive to move stuff off now that we have an actual calculator to do things.

FEF has a huge community around it sustaining it. I can't tell you how it got to that point - you've been in the community for a lot longer than I - but I suspect the reason that no other game has gotten to that point is that there aren't enough people willing to launch something. GURPS, to use that example, is fairly niche among TTRPGs - and chargen has a Hell of a learning curve, so it almost demands that the GM is around to help. That sort of closeness just isn't possible with PbP, so you would almost certainly need to communicate off-site (i.e. Discord) and at that point why not just skip the middleman and run your game there?

Were there any experiments running FEF, or something like it, in real-time? I suspect since the system is not designed for that it won't work well, which makes it much harder to lose players to offsite games.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: October 07, 2022, 12:02:20 pm »

I've thought about trying FEF many times, but I'm not sure I am capable of the time commitment. What would you say it takes to get into it?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: October 07, 2022, 12:05:10 pm »

If I were feeling petty, I would copy a list of the forum bans and point out how many of them were from FG&RP, but I don't have any particular desire to extend this argument for any longer than is strictly necessary. If you're not willing to listen, why should I waste time talking to you instead of designing my new roleplay, updating Vestals of the Waves, or, hell, even playing video games?

One person does not a pattern make. Follow Occam's Razor: is there a big exclusionary culture that everyone is a part of, or do you need to step back for a bit before you damage your reputation even further than already? I know which one is simpler.

FEF has a huge community around it sustaining it. I can't tell you how it got to that point - you've been in the community for a lot longer than I - but I suspect the reason that no other game has gotten to that point is that there aren't enough people willing to launch something. GURPS, to use that example, is fairly niche among TTRPGs - and chargen has a Hell of a learning curve, so it almost demands that the GM is around to help. That sort of closeness just isn't possible with PbP, so you would almost certainly need to communicate off-site (i.e. Discord) and at that point why not just skip the middleman and run your game there?

Were there any experiments running FEF, or something like it, in real-time? I suspect since the system is not designed for that it won't work well, which makes it much harder to lose players to offsite games.
There was actually one attempt, back at the dawn of time, to run a live session of FEF on Maptools.

We never tried that again.

I've thought about trying FEF many times, but I'm not sure I am capable of the time commitment. What would you say it takes to get into it?
excellent, someone to convert to the cult

I mean, ahem, with regards to time commitment, it's actually significantly heavier on the GM's side than it is on the player's side. Essentially, as a player, you only need to post at your convenience, maybe check in once or twice a week during fights (as fights are processed GM-side). I would recommend taking some time just to roleplay with your fellow players (both for roleplay reasons and also to get your support levels up) and also checking in on the thread to make sure you haven't been left behind, but for players it's actually pretty light with time commitment.

Now as a GM it takes a buttload of time and I am very dumb smart for taking on four of them at once.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: October 07, 2022, 12:16:12 pm »

I mean, ahem, with regards to time commitment, it's actually significantly heavier on the GM's side than it is on the player's side. Essentially, as a player, you only need to post at your convenience, maybe check in once or twice a week during fights (as fights are processed GM-side). I would recommend taking some time just to roleplay with your fellow players (both for roleplay reasons and also to get your support levels up) and also checking in on the thread to make sure you haven't been left behind, but for players it's actually pretty light with time commitment.

Now as a GM it takes a buttload of time and I am very dumb smart for taking on four of them at once.
Maybe time commitment isn't exactly what I mean. The part where I wouldn't be expected to be around every day definitely helps, because I'm often not here or not really able to invest much effort on a given day, but the fact that the games can run for years also makes me chary. I would feel bad about not fully seeing an... adventure, or whatever you'd call it, through, and I'm not sure I could avoid it.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3519 on: October 07, 2022, 12:18:15 pm »

In roseheart’s, uh, defense, the “what’s this?” was him trying to state that he had provided evidence of the problem when it was someone else who made the post and he himself made no effort to do so.
No, SirAton was right.

You host ARs, an open format, that takes in all players. It's not any issue I have with you, or that anyone could. Have you ever banned a player?

I think that above all is cancerous behavior and we really shouldn’t just let him propagate it.

Paper, I am not a cancer.

I'm actually a libra...

The problem with this is that you haven't actually said "I was wrong and I'm sorry for accusing people"

A more preferable resolution would be if FE host offered the assistance I need/a beginner session with default heroes to modify. The only thing in my control, would be to host such a game myself, and that is not my intention right now.

I'm not expecting them to do that, I'm just saying it would be nice.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:19:24 pm by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: October 07, 2022, 12:19:54 pm »

-snip-
Ah, yeah, if that's what you mean then it can be a commitment for the long run, yeah. The fastest a campaign has run was about....a year and a half (one of my own FEFs, actually, Whereabouts of Drink and Coin).

If it helps we've been experimenting with more short-form or low-investment FEFs (see above), but with the format of how FEF works and its mechanics, it does grind up to the limit of doability within the system.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: October 07, 2022, 12:20:42 pm »

Yeah, I am not good with sustained attention to games either. I tend to inhabit the forums in bursts - going mostly dark for a bit, then a huge rash of posting, then slinking back to whence she came - so a game that can go for years is, uh, not terribly ideal.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: October 07, 2022, 12:27:12 pm »

I do this with arms races. We're part of a pretty stupid exclusive bigbrained club. But making things is addicting, and having people enjoy the things you make even moreso.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: October 07, 2022, 12:28:04 pm »

Hear, hear!

Now if only I could finish things at the same rate I start things at...
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: October 07, 2022, 12:47:29 pm »

I do this with arms races. We're part of a pretty stupid exclusive bigbrained club. But making things is addicting, and having people enjoy the things you make even moreso.
Nah, for real. If I had half the aptitude you seem to have for AR (from what I hear) I'd be twice as productive.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237