Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 380392 times)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

So it's getting comparitively late where I am and I'm browsing the forums and I see Roller's Block and I think "Huh, why doesn't the main Forum Games board have one of these?" And against my better judgement, here I am, making a game discussion thread for those lacking the intellect for Mafia but also lacking the insanity for Roll To Dodge.

Gaming Block is basically the same idea. You have an idea, you put it into the thread. You need an idea, you pull out a net and fish it out. You're unsure about an idea, you hold it in until it's perfectly rusty. There was also something about crediting the thread when taking ideas, but I don't think anyone's ever done that. So don't bother.

To get the ball rolling, would anybody be interested in a Peasant Adventure Redux? For those unaware, Peasant Adventure is one of the all time classic games, up with Do Not Follow The Rainbow Snail and You Are Scientist (Hey, you know all those You Are X games? Scientist was the first. And best.) where the players are peasants and get to do stuff. Sorry, I cannot remember details, but I recall it being funny as heck. Especially NUKE's edition. That guy is amazing.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

I like to think that I have the intellect for Mafia, but I'm just fooling myself ;_;

Anyways, I always have tons of ideas for suggestion and freeform games. I can barely stand to play, and I love to GM so this thread should be pretty beneficial.

I already have a game up and running, but it doesn't seem to be catching on. Would anybody care to tell me what's wrong with it?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110210.0

Just boring? Too wordy? Cliched?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I already have a game up and running, but it doesn't seem to be catching on. Would anybody care to tell me what's wrong with it?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110210.0

Just boring? Too wordy? Cliched?
Yeah, not really interesting enough. To some extent that's a problem endemic to suggestion games in general; you're not in charge of anything directly, so it's less fascinating all around. The vague and not especially interesting start is probably what's dragging it down aside from that, though. Wake up, horror game, some sort of hospital/prison room, go explore. There could be all sorts of fascinating things to discover or do out there, but there's no real hint of them at the moment.

I began contemplating making an RTD based on the discworld at some point...
You wouldn't be the first. We do have an RTD discussion thread for that, though.

EDIT: Almost forgot.

To get the ball rolling, would anybody be interested in a Peasant Adventure Redux? For those unaware, Peasant Adventure is one of the all time classic games... ...where the players are peasants and get to do stuff. Sorry, I cannot remember details, but I recall it being funny as heck. Especially NUKE's edition. That guy is amazing.
Peasant Adventures are infinitely better with pictures, though.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:51:19 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Trying to get my first RTD off the ground.... link in sig.
This is a blank sig.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile

A word of to anyone interested that I've discovered: running two illustrated suggestion games at the same time is not a very good idea if you put effort into the illustrations, animations, flash games, etc. It'll burn you out much faster on one or both games than merely increasing the art workload would have if you were only running one. I think... that maybe I will have to, for the millionth time, just fall back on my main games.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

Many thanks, IronyOwl. I think I'll go and figure out how to get things a little more interesting then, since I don't really want to abandon the idea I had.

Also I like your art style, freeform. I might check those games out but I'm generally not one for playing.

EDIT: The game got more interesting as it went on with puzzle concepts, but I've just added a bit more that should make it more interesting. Link for anybody that wants to read my blocks of text and solve weird puzzle stuff along with a new feature I'm trying out involving IRC.
 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=post;msg=3317067;topic=110210.0
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:15:29 pm by jc6036 »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile

Speaking of flashes, that's one question I have: what's the etiquette on flash games and animations as a part of suggestion games?

For example: You have a somewhat boring strip of game that your players could slog through or you as a GM could just do a montage of skipping it involving Samuel L. Jackson somehow. BUT THEN! You remember that you could always play it out as a Flash exploration sequence. I'm quickly realizing this is a double edged sword, though.

The good side: Flash games, am I right? But seriously, from a GM perspective making these is like inhaling vast amounts of candy then going to the emergency room for it. Not only was the setup delicious to enact, but afterwards people are there cheering you on for not dying from the candy overdose. Also, you make a boring part of the game interesting. (Note: I'll probably not think this way at all after the Flashes start ramping up in complexity and tiring me out).
The bad side: But who said it had to be boring? After all, the suggesters are the co-GMs. When you run a Flash sequence outside of just a cutscene, you're basically stripping them of their suggestion rights, as any actions they might have made replaced with the ones you thought of when programming which, let's be honest, aren't going to always be as interesting or thought-provoking.

So what I'm asking here is would people as suggestion game readers prefer to have multiple Flash sequences scattered about (think Homestuck), have them reserved for cutscenes almost exclusively or not present at all (in the case that they're not as easy to skim over)?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:43:56 pm by freeformschooler »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

I'd say keep it cutscened. If you're comparing to Homestuck, I always found the flash game exposition to be rather boring.

OscarComrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After looking at my work with You Are A Russian and You Are A Destroyer, I've decided instead of my usual Realistic Modern setting, I should try my hand at a more Medieval Fantasy type of game. I've been considering the idea for a long time now. I just wasn't sure how well it would be received.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

I'd be in in an instant. The books might have been big containers of stolen themes and concepts, but they were good containers of stolen themes and concepts. I'd love to have a suggestion game in the world they were based in.

OscarComrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Realistic Modern
Really?

Admittedly, You Are A Russian is far from modern, and the Red arc of You Are A Destroyer was nowhere near realistic, but I would say that they're as close as I can get without being overly boring and pretentious.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Any critique for the suggestion game in my sig? It never really caught on, so I'd love some tips.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

YAY! We needed this! :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed, I've just been using Roller's Block for FG&RP ideas sneakily disguised as RTDs. Now, if only we can keep this on the first page eternally like Roller's Block.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 237