Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 380400 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3270 on: March 08, 2018, 03:40:06 pm »

Eheheh...

Mutant Race. In which people may actually do catgirls.

Don't count on it. Cinder Spires, canonically, has both catgirls and catbois. I've stated, multiple times that I'm totally cool with them being 'discovered' as part of some other design or action. Still nothing.

In other news...

That awkward moment when you have a great idea for how to phase out unnecessary rolling, and then realize that half the class bonuses you were so proud of a moment ago were tied up in all that unnecessary rolling.

BLARG.

BLARGH.

EUBLEUUGHH.

Oh well.

The system has been scratching my complexity itch, and I've managed to mostly keep it from being unnecessarily arcane. Which is always a problem for me, and manifested most egregiously in this round when I tried to set up it up so that damage reduction was calculated by 1/LOG10(10+Armor_Rating/10). Which, admittedly, did a great job of giving armor the efficacy curve I wanted, but was much better served by putting the actually DR directly on the equipment.

Resulting, probably final, edition of an item card.

Statuary Greatsword: L: 4 | H:6 | DR: 25% | Dam: 120
Moveset: Greatsword | 2 hands
Requirements and Scaling:
--->POT: E | PRE: - | WIL: E | VIG: 3/C | AGI: -
Grants Ability: Petrify
--->Petrify: 1 Will, 1 Vigor | 3 Frame Cost | 15 Cooldown | Choose a move from the weapon's light attack moveset and use that to launch this ability. If a target gets hit with a graze, it’s petrified for 5 frames starting immediately, if it’s hit with a full impact, it’s petrified for 10 frames starting immediately. This attack deals no damage.

See, totally simple and straightforward.

Totally.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3271 on: March 10, 2018, 03:12:59 am »

How could I possibly make this more attractive to players?
Hey I'm putting this here as to avoid any kind of discussion derailing your thread. Basically I would suggest just totally pulling out all those massive walls of text and not deleting them just putting them on your computer for you to look at. Just literally have the same game but just a very minimal introduction description and decision to get the ball rolling.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: March 10, 2018, 11:43:42 am »

How could I possibly make this more attractive to players?
Hey I'm putting this here as to avoid any kind of discussion derailing your thread. Basically I would suggest just totally pulling out all those massive walls of text and not deleting them just putting them on your computer for you to look at. Just literally have the same game but just a very minimal introduction description and decision to get the ball rolling.
I took your advice! Hopefully it has a good effect.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: March 21, 2018, 05:05:31 pm »

You know, even though I waffle over whether or not I'm going to run it. I'm still happy that the system is nearing completion. Bludgeoned attributes until they're where I like them, though I may boost the number of starting attribute points available- otherwise heavy armors might be a bit of difficult proposition at start.

Still writing up the play tutorial, but I felt the need to show the newest iteration of the how-much-of-dark-souls-face-can-I-steal-game's* character sheet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*I imagine that I'll find a better name at some point. Hopefully.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: March 21, 2018, 10:11:40 pm »

Spreadsheet Souls? Calcborne? Dark Frame?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: March 29, 2018, 01:14:47 pm »

Spreadsheet Souls? Calcborne? Dark Frame?

Har, har.

You're on an expedition away from the sane and sunlit world. The setting: a weird castle where the walls are stained with darkness. And there's also some darkness hovering around the chandelier. Your grandfather's darksteel key can't get you into the oddly dark castle tower, because someone smeared darkness on the lock. But you can open... the Dark Frame. Except you can't, because it's a frame, not a door, and it's already open.*

*Original Credit

Edit: Shit, didn't actually mean to post this, I had real questions and not just plagiarized cartoon comedy. Damnit.

Anyway, what do random people think is best as far as how many items players get to pick at character creation? How many options is too many options?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:17:05 pm by Draignean »
---

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: March 29, 2018, 04:06:00 pm »

The more character creation options there are, the better in my opinion. I won't play a complicated game unless the character creation has a lot of flexibility.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: March 29, 2018, 09:26:04 pm »

Anyway, what do random people think is best as far as how many items players get to pick at character creation? How many options is too many options?
I feel like 2-3 major decisions is probably the best, else it starts getting fiddly or building into larger decisions anyway ("I'll take life regen for all 16 choices," "these three items give me a good crit healer build, these three would let me tank really well but take up a slot I need for my mobility shenanigans").
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: March 30, 2018, 09:12:53 pm »

Duly noted.

Now, one more question.

IO is familiar with the system of calcdarksoulframe, where each player specifies a sequence of actions to make, and then each piece (frame) of that sequence is evaluated simultaneously for all players and monsters. So actions look somewhat like,

Move North -> Move East -> Cast fireball at (6,2) -> Shenanigans -> Move South

So the game is designed to be about making successful anticipations of the enemy in order to kill without ever presenting a target. However, with four people and friendly fire, it's also about coordinating with your team members.

That in mind, I was thinking of making it against the rules to explicitly post your action sequence in the thread, and to instead PM it to me, so that the communication of what each player is doing has to be hammered out between the characters. Thus it's less of a mind-reading fest where every player decodes every other player's action string, and more each player PMing me the action string and then trying (or not) to communicate to the others what they're trying to accomplish.

How cruel is this?

Edit Note, particularly when you have items that need good coordination to actually pull off well, such as...

Spoiler: Deathball (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:17:47 pm by Draignean »
---

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: March 31, 2018, 12:39:13 pm »

How cruel is this?
I think this is very cruel to the GM, as poking through your inbox for actions sounds obnoxious.

As for the players... I think this'll probably end up fairly binary: Either the players communicate effectively with each other and there's no real difference, or they'll just do their own thing and things will go poorly.

Spoiler: Deathball (click to show/hide)
This is monstrously evil, but will probably make everyone very interested in arranging the perfect spirit bomb pinball combo.

Unrelated to anything, I miss Small Mercies.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: April 01, 2018, 09:39:13 pm »

Well, if people want to take a look, here's the rough, needs pizazz, definitely not even it's final form version of das rules.

Unrelated to anything, I miss Small Mercies.

You and me both. I periodically long to start that back up again. I still wonder why I left it there, since you're basically just waiting on the King of Strengar and the Crow to get back + the shuttle, and then everyone could meet back for booze.

Maybe I should update that. No one would expect that move. Give the deepstate FBI agents monitoring my lack of fillings a real turn.
---

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: April 04, 2018, 09:46:39 am »

* Haspen raises paw.

Why the heck are all those various unrelated suggestion games using 'spam' prefix? Most of them have more than one character design option or don't even use 'one of few' choice options, and updates are both lengthy and come about rarely - basically antithesis of spam progression!

This is siphoning away muh fame and fabulousness! Dis is outrage! V:<
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: April 04, 2018, 09:51:28 am »

Imitation is the highest form of flattery?

I guess SPAM titles have become a shorthand for 'suggestion game'
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: April 04, 2018, 09:54:50 am »

'Grats, Haspen baby, you're a brand name now.
---

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: April 04, 2018, 12:05:56 pm »

I hate it honestly. I feel like FG and Rp has become saturated with spam and arms race games. What happened to the original creations people used to make?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 237