Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 382748 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3285 on: April 04, 2018, 12:09:44 pm »

I hate it honestly. I feel like FG and Rp has become saturated with spam and arms race games. What happened to the original creations people used to make?

SPAM and AR games are both pretty easy to begin, and AR games have the distinct advantage of players providing all the challenges to one another. All the DM really has to do is mediate.

OC takes a lot of time and effort. The one I'm getting ready to push has more than time than I'd like to admit getting this started- although it's more exception than rule.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: April 04, 2018, 12:15:17 pm »

The thing with Arms Race games is that it takes up a lot of floor space on Page 1; every AR game is at least 3 separate threads and way too many of them never reach even the first battle
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: April 04, 2018, 12:29:56 pm »

There are a lot of Arms Races, sure, but the Core thread is usually rarely posted in. The team threads, especially with Discord, often are only active for a bit after GM updates (which aren’t too frequent) then fall quiet while people wait for another update. So it’s not that huge of a footprint.

I like doing my AR (Mad Arms Race) largely just because of the emergent world building and more it creates. I started with two blank slates of nations, but now one side has a government based around feuding immortal politicians and the other has an “underground” city in a giant and extremely deep borehole-quarry-thing.

That and it’s not like the popularity of Arms Races and SPAMgames are reducing creativity. They’re just the current fad. I personally remember Fire Emblem on Forum games, god games, and the like all being especially popular at certain points.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3288 on: April 04, 2018, 01:52:21 pm »

I hate it honestly. I feel like FG and Rp has become saturated with spam and arms race games. What happened to the original creations people used to make?
You mean the ones with poorly conceived mechanics? That's how I remember FGnRP. But at least people were trying stuff, I guess, but my point is that all of my games were based on original mechanics and most had an original story, but that didn't make them good.

The number one failing of a game is lack of interest. SPAM and Arms Race consistently garner interest. Maybe people should look for a lesson there and try to make something new out of it instead of complaining that something is too popular.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: April 04, 2018, 02:19:43 pm »

SPAM and AR games both benefit from having a spectacularly low barrier to entry. Anyone can drop in and drop out of a SPAM game at any time with zero consequences. Anyone can join whatever AR team they want whenever and post crazy designs without 'applying' per se.

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Custom Critical

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: April 04, 2018, 09:53:24 pm »

* Haspen raises paw.

Why the heck are all those various unrelated suggestion games using 'spam' prefix? Most of them have more than one character design option or don't even use 'one of few' choice options, and updates are both lengthy and come about rarely - basically antithesis of spam progression!

This is siphoning away muh fame and fabulousness! Dis is outrage! V:<
Well, to be fair, you did base those games off of a Steam release indie title known as Kingdom. As you imitate that game to flatter, so too do others imitate you to flatter. It's a circle, my friend.
Self-Improvement Junkie | "Practice without improvement is meaningless."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: April 05, 2018, 12:15:00 am »

Well, to be fair, you did base those games off of a Steam release indie title known as Kingdom. As you imitate that game to flatter, so too do others imitate you to flatter. It's a circle, my friend.

I think you meant Reigns ;v?

SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3292 on: April 05, 2018, 01:04:15 am »

*R@ises vine*

You originally called it "Rapid-Fire Minimalistic Dynasty Game".

If we breakdown SPAMKINGDOM

we get SPAM "Rapid-Fire"

..and KINGDOM "Minimalistic Dynasty Game"

You even make a point of keeping this origin in the OP.

Really since Spam can reasonably be inferred to mean 'quick updates' -one might be surprised, that SPAM- games even hold so many other elements in common with yours. Such as being a CYOA rather than SG, centered on a ruler, as a examples.
Awesome With Autism

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: April 05, 2018, 02:11:43 am »

Say what you will, but at least SPAMKINGDOM's made more people actually invest a token amount of thought into the mechanics and pacing of their suggestion games, myself included, even if the thought in question is how much of Haspen's work they want to shamelessly rip off.

EDIT: Also
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:02:53 am by Harry Baldman »

Custom Critical

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: April 05, 2018, 05:14:35 pm »

I agree. As for what happened to the original content? People either ...

1) Joked/meme'd them into oblivion, thus changing the thread from whatever SG it was into another "bay12 thinks it's funny when it really isn't" game.
2) Ignored them in favour of the aforementioned OR some cringy fandom threads.

And those who have created the original stuff have left for greener pastures, so . . . GG in that area.

Custom Critical

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: April 05, 2018, 05:15:41 pm »

Say what you will, but at least SPAMKINGDOM's made more people actually invest a token amount of thought into the mechanics and pacing of their suggestion games, myself included, even if the thought in question is how much of Haspen's work they want to shamelessly rip off.
Not really.

To ripoff the ripoff. It's a chain I tell you! Where's Xzhibit when you need him?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: April 06, 2018, 07:40:09 am »

AR have lots of posts and activity, a slower SG can go days, weeks without any post activity.

Still i feel that AR tend to crowed them selves out, one AR is a novelty worth playing, 6 is pick a flavor i know i haven posted regularly in half the ones i've started playing..
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: April 06, 2018, 12:06:17 pm »

EDIT: Also
I actually enjoyed the early SPAM clones. Spamwarlord, and your game were both unique twists on a great concept. It’s just that I have grown kind of tired of it. I personally have foreseen 5 SPAM games to their conclusion and it would be nice to do something different.

You mean the ones with poorly conceived mechanics? That's how I remember FGnRP. But at least people were trying stuff, I guess, but my point is that all of my games were based on original mechanics and most had an original story, but that didn't make them good.

The number one failing of a game is lack of interest. SPAM and Arms Race consistently garner interest. Maybe people should look for a lesson there and try to make something new out of it instead of complaining that something is too popular.
I agree. As for what happened to the original content? People either ...

1) Joked/meme'd them into oblivion, thus changing the thread from whatever SG it was into another "bay12 thinks it's funny when it really isn't" game.
2) Ignored them in favour of the aforementioned OR some cringy fandom threads.

And those who have created the original stuff have left for greener pastures, so . . . GG in that area.
Both of you have great points. The old model was flawed. Things were bound to crack eventually.

I guess what I really want is to just be part of a good story. Create a character, interact with the world, and have awesome things happen. Then you look back at the masterpiece and realize “I helped create that”. Problem is, good stories require good GMs and most people just aren’t up for the task. People may be capable of producing great things, but to then continue for months, maybe even years?  It will drive everyone but the most dedicated mad.

Ah well, it’s not like I’m doing nothing. Though I’ve only been working on it sporadically, my RtD is coming along quite nicely. I’ll probably run something slightly simpler in the meantime, but one day it will see the light of day.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: April 06, 2018, 03:00:32 pm »

Ah well, it’s not like I’m doing nothing. Though I’ve only been working on it sporadically, my RtD is coming along quite nicely. I’ll probably run something slightly simpler in the meantime, but one day it will see the light of day.

I know this feeling, except I just launched the thing I've been putting off launching. Link for the interested.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Custom Critical

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: April 06, 2018, 03:33:35 pm »

I know this feeling, except I just launched the thing I've been putting off launching. Link for the interested.

Is that OP image photoshop or paint? It's dope af.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 237