Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 380407 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3300 on: April 06, 2018, 03:35:05 pm »

Ah well, it’s not like I’m doing nothing. Though I’ve only been working on it sporadically, my RtD is coming along quite nicely. I’ll probably run something slightly simpler in the meantime, but one day it will see the light of day.

I know this feeling, except I just launched the thing I've been putting off launching. Link for the interested.
Is that OP image photoshop or paint? It's dope af.

It's GIMP, which makes it a very straightforward process.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: April 06, 2018, 03:37:08 pm »

AR have lots of posts and activity, a slower SG can go days, weeks without any post activity.

Still i feel that AR tend to crowed them selves out, one AR is a novelty worth playing, 6 is pick a flavor i know i haven posted regularly in half the ones i've started playing..
Well, the thing about flavors is that there often are a lot because not everyone likes the same ones, or maybe people sometimes want something different. I know I personally wasn't too interested in the original Arms Race setting, but I very much enjoyed Wands Race, and that just comes down to personal preference. (btw, I don't watch the board too closely. Have there been any magic-based or at least pre-industrial era Arms Races since then?) On the other hand, I do get your point about them crowding each other out, which makes it harder to find ones you like, though I feel like this would be better solved by some improvements in organization rather than saying people shouldn't make such games.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: April 06, 2018, 03:42:42 pm »

btw, I don't watch the board too closely. Have there been any magic-based or at least pre-industrial era Arms Races since then?)

I have an Arms-Race that's both. Starting tech was based of the Cinder Spires books, so Steampunk with the ability to grow crystals that do some pretty magical shit.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: April 06, 2018, 04:43:43 pm »

btw, I don't watch the board too closely. Have there been any magic-based or at least pre-industrial era Arms Races since then?)

I have an Arms-Race that's both. Starting tech was based of the Cinder Spires books, so Steampunk with the ability to grow crystals that do some pretty magical shit.
I'd consider steampunk an industrial-era concept, even if it isn't technically that in-setting, but I guess what I liked about Wands Race was that it was very much a blank slate as far as culture and technology went. We were very much able to develop our nations cultures as we saw fit, and had technology that worked very differently because we were able to create very different assumptions about how things worked in-game.

Like, we somehow ended up with one side that used magitec and another whose magic was based on prayer, despite neither of those concepts being in the OP. Is there another Arms Race that ever achieved that much divergence?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: April 09, 2018, 07:53:15 am »

Ok here's the idea, warhammer 40k meets star trek and star wars.
Your a space marine chapter master in charge of an Exploratory crusade.
I still have no idea how big an army you'll get or how to do ships.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: April 09, 2018, 11:29:20 am »

How are you going to balance the superior tech of 40k against the tech of Star Wars? Otherwise I like the idea a lot.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: April 09, 2018, 07:19:56 pm »

How are you going to balance the superior tech of 40k against the tech of Star Wars? Otherwise I like the idea a lot.
Well does 40k really have better tech?
More powerfull tech often, but star wars tech really works, people know how it works.
In 40k you burn incense and pray just to turn the lights on and off, you change a blow light bulb with a live socket and just pray to lighting demons way.
Numbers are another tool, you marine force and more powerfull units will be limited in number
And it's likey you'll end up with a task for the crusade (i'm thinking steal a Deathstar) to have a nice end goal.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: April 15, 2018, 10:50:03 am »

So I’m thinking of a couple systems I might want to try out for a game. Setting would be something along the lines of Pandora from the Borderlands games (hostile alien world full of wildlife that desperately wants you dead, mostly barren deserts and rocky wastelands, power struggle between giant politically unrestricted mega corporations and the millions of bandits on the surface, and the most common forms of currency being exotic weapons, ammo, and alien minerals). I might even just take Pandora itself and make it the setting to save time on world building, but that’s something I’ll get to later on.

Anywho, here’s my main idea right now:

The game would be fairly combat oriented, consisting mostly of going on missions and completing objectives. Most missions  would take place with the map, characters, and enemies on a grid, with players giving commands in the vein of “go to [location] then do [action]”. There would be character classes, but they would have more to do with special powers/abilities and less to do with stats. Player stats would be based entirely off of equipment; your aim is only as good as your gun’s accuracy, your health is only as high as the quality of your shield, etc. This would hopefully incentivize players to constantly be swapping out equipment and weapons as better stuff becomes available, making combat more dynamic and less stale.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: April 22, 2018, 03:59:19 pm »

Notice: Warhammer is more advanced than Star Wars in some ways. Though Trek our techs Warhammer in my opinion.

Was thinking of Pangaea sequel. No baby making rules. Stream lined item list. In-depth clan creation, character creation, and a religion builder.

The plot this time? Instead of stone-early Iron Age. This time called Orbiter. Takes place easy advanced in the future as humans left home.

Their massive as hell Mother ship made trip to new world but due to tech issues no one can leave. Generations spent on the Ark people lost their history and think the mother ship is home. And despite high tech guns, power armor and 3D printers, everything social wise is a clan system again.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: June 02, 2018, 06:58:21 am »

Started a new mecha game ;V

Would appreciate someone running it over for number crunching.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: June 20, 2018, 03:39:55 pm »

God Quest: Well happy got two players. I decided to retool Rage Across the Heavens.

It is now players being Arch Angels/ Archon Deal. Waging war with each other then the victors Incase the other realms for divine judgement. Though not black and white all the time. More grey.

The other two God Wuest games.

Blood War: Players are part of a brand new pantheon made for the mortals. Problem? Older Gods want them gone. So, got to murder the old gods together.

Rising: Replaces Rage Across Heavens first attempt, now the Gods merely in a construction contest to see who builds coolest planes/realm/world and so forth. Winner based on popular vote and no attacking each other.

Orbiter is part of Pangaea, will bring them up next with full list.

Rage Across Heavens? Gotta do over everything. So will be a while. Also thinking of tweaking Inferum and making it real ( as I did basis of that game on mobile phone. Just going to find files again.)

Besides that?

There is Kingdom, where players make up own stuff based on one world, Start with limited stuff, to earn more at start, got to take flaws.

Aside that, not sure really. There is the Ruin triology thing. And no way in hell I am bringing back Stellar Legions. I loved the idea but having to keep track of those resources is insane. I work enough in Orbiter and nothing above 50k and stuff.

Oh there is Home Fleet too. Being nomadic fleet trying to make it work in a harsh cosmos.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: June 21, 2018, 06:32:29 pm »

So there is this style of tabletop play informally called West Marches that I've been somewhat eager to try out running in some fashion or another - while it was coined for D&D play, the general concept seems easy to adapt to almost any theme, setting or system (which highly appeals to me as I'm not really into the idea of running D&D, 5e or otherwise).
The major difference here is that it would be more of a soft sci-fi/space opera campaign, as opposed to a high fantasy one.

Essentially, there's a relatively large group of people (as many as are willing to participate, basically) who organically explore the setting by picking where to go, who to go with and when to go, returning to the town (or space station, or whatever it might be) afterwards, and sharing the loot with the group, both tangible and intangible (rumors, areas to explore further etc.).
Basically, Darkest Dungeon but with (far) less eldritch horror.

"But River, how are you going to run a space campaign in D&D?", you may ask.

I don't, is my answer.
What I want to use instead (tentatively, at least) is either Open Legend or Genesys, though I'm somewhat leaning towards the former as I actually have played it a bit already, and the legally free rules reduces the barrier to entry, and my conscious! Also makes it easier to run the game on something like roll20...)...Or even GURPS, but that seems like a recipe for disaster.

(The reason why I want to go with something generic like OL or GURPS as opposed to say, Starfinder, Star Wars or Stars Without Number, beyond the fact I have no experience with any of those systems and don't feel particularly compelled to try them, is to have greater flexibility, both for players' sake and my own. I'm not the biggest fan of crunch-heavy games, which might be in a bit of a contrast with some of the demographic on here...Maybe?)

On that note, what I wanted to do is use the forums for updates and general OOC stuff, but run the actual sessions in roll20 (if only because I think it'll be better for actually keeping me accountable, and make things progress a bit faster - but also make things like rolling be a bit more fair since I don't know how people usually do rolls when playing PBP games).

Would there be any interest here in such an endeavor?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: June 22, 2018, 05:47:50 am »

I think it has potential. PbP campaigns tend to stall when the players stop or slow their posting and scenes drag on forever. Having separate sessions in roll20 and a larger pool of players might help avert that. PbP demands constant, steady participation, which people’s lives don’t necessarily allow for, so at least personally not having to stay on top of the game 24/7 would be great.

I’m interested, but more info on the setting and focus of the game would be nice. You could also try posting about this in the PnP/Tabletop thread
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: June 30, 2018, 01:31:36 pm »

All the Pangaea/ Fantasy games. Next will be sci fi.

Warlords of Pangaea 2.0: Update If first game I made here and new stuff, the Arms race system, also either SG single party or multiple (like in Orbiter) the plot being Conan style tribe folk trying to survive in a harsh world as a Empire is rising to try to unite the world.

Islanders: Here the Land Of PangEa got floooded and now islands, be a sea daring tribe.

Imperial Lord: Here your a heir to empire that has a quarter of Pangaeas land mass. Time to rise, or fall.

Exiles: Here Your tribals that lost homeland due to disasters. Now living, learning, and seeking a new homeland.

Walls: Here a mix of Orbiter in Fantasy with attack on Titan. In that your a community(idea)  stuck in massive maze.

Arena: Manage a team of gladiators to fight, strive, and gain glory. Or just not die.

Tree: Here in a massive forest the hub is a massive tree and trying to thrive.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 237