Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 380427 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3360 on: November 26, 2018, 10:23:44 am »

Well been doing Pangaea notes.

Also...

Mercenary Plot ( Suggesstioon game. You and your group go about earning loot and getting tougher.)

Also had two ideas for Fantasy gangsters

1 in Steam Punk Era

The second in Dungeon Trch situation

( Either way Fantasy crime due to non humans in city and magic.)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: December 19, 2018, 08:02:47 pm »

Alright. I'm trying to set up a game called Land Wars, a game about playing empires, fighting large-scale battles, and generally high amounts of freedom in terms of what you can do as long as it would be reasonable.

But I have a problem, which is that the ruleset I'm using uses nested spoilers for a clean look, but this forum doesn't support nested spoilers.

So I'd appreciate help making this look decent without nested spoilers, so PLEASE point out any potential flaws in the formatting, and also I guess this post doubles as an interest check.

Code: [Select]
[b]I advise making your civilization somewhat unique from your generic medieval empire. I am not strict at all on themes, so go make your kingdom whatever you want it to be themed after. Hell, you can make a fucking ROBLOX-themed civilization for all I care. (Don't worry, I won't judge you for that, I actually play ROBLOX every now and then.)[/b]

Hello and welcome to Land Wars, a forum based grand strategy game! In it, players create fictional high-fantasy nations and send their armies after other players in an effort to conquer the world, or failing that, each other. It's a ton of fun.

If you're new, welcome, and read on; it may be a lot but I promise the game is less complicated than it sounds and it's absolutely worth it.

[spoiler=MASSIVE wall of text detailing gameplay and civilization mechanics]So, to start off: your kingdom (kingdom is just a traditional name, you can be a republic or hivemind or queendom or something) will need a theme. This is just to give the other players an idea of what your civilization is based off. Your theme can be absolutely anything and is encouraged to have a theme that will stand out; Some players pick high fantasy races like dwarves, elves and orcs. Others base theirs off historical civilizations like rome, the vikings, or native americans. Still others just do broad, general ideas, like primitive steampunk (emphasis on primitive, this is meant to be roughly late middle ages/early renaissance in terms of game balance), undead, demons from hell, or a wizard's guild. If you want, you could roll with an empire based off of or even ripped straight out of a video game, book, or movie-something like the lord of the rings, game of thrones, mario, or skyrim.  Multiple people have even picked minecraft as their theme, and some people even run silly/joke themes like My Little Pony or sentient strawberries. Whatever your theme is, just bear in mind that the technology level should be around high fantasy or late 16th century or balanced for that range-so a primitive steampunk theme would be fine as long as you build up to it and you're not using gatling guns from day 1 or whatever. I will allow sci-fi theming, but keep in mind fancy cyberpunkified muskets are just as effective as standard medieval muskets. So go nuts, as long as it would make sense gameplay wise.

Now, once you've got an idea for a kingdom in your head, there are a few things you need to do.

[b]Maps[/b]
First off, you need a map of your kingdom. The only requirement is that it's [b]exactly[/b] 500 by 500 pixels. It doesn't have to be good or anything close to decent. Seriously, most maps are made in five minutes in MS Paint or the like. [url=http://i.imgur.com/RyJvzhj.png] Here's[/url] an example. Adjust the example if you're gonna use it as necessary so it makes sense your theme-a tribe of desert warriors wouldn't live in the frozen north, etc.

If you need inspiration for a map layout, go find a map in your house of an area roughly town-sized, and base it off that. Remember, since the scale will be 50 pixels per mile, try and base it off of a 10 mile by 10 mile region.

All player maps will be edited into one, giant map of the continent the game takes place on, so you know who your neighbors are. Late joiners will appear at a location that has similar terrain to what their map shows.

For map scale, it should be roughly 50 pixels for 1 mile, so a single kingdom map should be roughly 10 square miles.

[b]Troops[/b]
Troops are the guys that do your fighting. You begin with four different kinds of troops (and can get more kinds in projects, but more on that later). Troops don't necessarily have to fall under the infantry/archer/cavalry trio: feel free to have wizards, war dogs, skittle gunslingers, giant spiders or whatever, as long as they're balanced. In your daily kingdom updates, each troop should have a short description of its capabilities, equipment, backstory if you want to add lore to your kingdom, and its strengths and weaknesses.  Each description should be a couple sentences minimum, and please don't write any longer than a paragraph. Feel free to add an image detailing what the unit looks like if you want.

Here are some example troops to give you a general idea:
[quote]
[b]Peasant archers:[/b] Lowborns trained with the longbow and equipped with minimal armor. They excel at dealing damage over great distance and can fire further than shortbows, but they're not very good in melee and quite vulnerable to cavalry charges.

[b]Dwarf warriors:[/b] Mighty, bearded fighters wielding an axe in one hand and a shield in the other. They also come with thick plate armor. They're quite strong, and their thick armor gives them good survivability. However, like all dwarves, they're slow and can easily be outrun.

[b]Hoplites:[/b]The standard warrior unit of the Greeks, equipped with a spear and shield. Fights in tight group formations, and is quite good against cavalry and on the defense, but struggles to lead aggressive charges.

[b]Riders of Rohan:[/b]Cavalry from the legendary kingdom of Rohan. Obviously much faster than ground infantry, and can devastate the enemy when charging, but attacking on horseback is quite awkward on defense, and they're vulnerable to spears, polearms and the like.

[b]Clerics[/b]: battle-priests skilled in the art of healing magic. They can heal the wounds of other troops in battle, but have no melee skills whatsoever.

[b]Waddle dees:[/b] The grunts of king deedee's army. Lacking weapons, they just kinda punch their opposition, which is more effective than it sounds. Their lack of vital organs and inability to feel pain means they can fight for a long time, but they're quite unskilled and will die easily to a well-trained warrior (like kirby).

[b]Trebuchets:[/b]A big wooden contraption capable of launching massive stones into the enemy and/or his buildings. While quite good in a siege, as it can fire over walls, they're pretty inaccurate even for siege weapons and will generally miss infantry in an open field. Furthermore, they're expensive-building one Trebuchet is equal to recruiting 50 regular troops.
[/quote]

Hopefully you have some troops in mind with those examples. If you're stuck, feel free to look through old land wars games to see what people came up with.

As a side note, I'm not considering "sub-units", or units that could be considered the same as an existing unit with different equipment (but still similar enough to the original one) as different ones.

[b]Heroes[/b]
A hero is one unit that's significantly more powerful than the average dude. They can be a powerful wizard, a legendary king who inspires his troops, a super-skilled warrior, the royal guard (hero units can be multiple individuals, just don't get crazy) a dragon, Legolas, Gimli, Jon Snow, Bowser, a giant, the vampire queen, a particularly powerful catapult, Julius Caesar, Moby Dick, Fenrir, or anything you can come up with.

Like troops, you should give your heroes a short description of their capabilities and backstory, if applicable.

"Miniheroes", or units which are way more powerful than the average rank and file mook, but not powerful enough to be a hero in itself, like for example, heavily armored machine gunners (If the game even gets to the point where machine guns are available, but just an example.), would be better suited as really high cost troops, and not heroes.

[b]Supplies[/b]
A supply is anything unique that your kingdom has at its disposal for war. Basically anything magical or technologically advanced or just unique that your kingdom can use. Whether it's a natural resource (like mythril or super strong wood) a battle supply (like armor, gunpowder, or weapons enchanted with fire magic) or a legendary artifact (like Excalibur or the One Ring). A supply can be whatever you'd like to come up with.

Again, in your update (more on this later) you should describe your supplies in a paragraph or less. Your starting supplies are automatically mass-produced, meaning you have a virtually infinite number of them (unless it's a unique weapon or something like that.)

[b]Projects[/b]
Projects are arguably the most important aspect of land wars. Each day, you get two project points that you can allocate to improve your kingdom in some way-be it forging new weapons, building new buildings, training your troops to do something, recruiting a hero, or anything you can come up with. Obviously, doing something like inventing muskets would probably take decades if not centuries in real life, but for the sake of gameplay, it's shortened into days. Use this [b]official[/b] guideline in order to see how long everything takes:
[quote]
(Cost with Industry focus is in parentheses)

Recruit a hero: 2 points (1)

Build a fortress: 6 points (4)

Train units to do something (fight stealthily, use bombs, etc.): 2 points (1)

Mass produce something: 3 points (2)

Reverse engineer a foreign item received in trade: 2 points (1) (Free if you get blueprints for it)

Train a new type of unit: 2 points (1) (Upgrading already existing units with better weapons (like giving your soldiers double barreled shotguns to replace blunderbusses) will not count as a new type of unit. What does count as a new unit is any particular unit with some form of differentiation from already existing units, like giving them different training, different weapons, etc.)
[/quote]
You can spend more or less project points if you like, but that will affect the quality of your results. If you spend ten days training your troops to fight on boats, you can be damn sure you'll be the best sailors in the world. If, on the other hand, you build a fort in two days, it's probably made of manure and not worth defending as even a ruined building with half of it destroyed with no fortifications would be better.

One more thing: you can spend two project points on one thing, as long as you don't mind forgoing your other project.

[b]Focuses[/b]
At the start of the game, you pick from one of the three below:

[b]Force:[/b] You have a militaristic society, or maybe just a surplus of warm bodies. You may recruit a hundred extra troops (Units that cost more to train are counted as multiple troops) each day.

[b]Industry:[/b] Your kingdom is full of hard workers, intelligent scientists, and the like. All projects cost 3/4 of their original speed (rounded down).

[b]Legacy:[/b] Your kingdom is a mighty empire, well established in history, and is quite powerful. You start with 15 completed project points and 1000 extra troops. However, unlike the other focuses, you have no long term bonus.

Right, now that's all the mechanical stuff.

Each day, you should post an update in this thread. The update should contain all the information above condensed into the following format provided at the bottom of this post.

To join the game, you must PM me your day 0 update. For the start of the game (day 0) you should have one hero, two supplies, 2000 troops, and zero spent project points (so no completed projects without the Legacy focus). Once you get the seal of approval, you may post your kingdom in the thread.

Note that your troops per day and projects per day change based on how many kingdoms you own. Here's the official guideline:
1 kingdom = 2 projects, 200 troops
2 kingdoms = 3 projects, 300 troops
3 kingdoms = 4 projects, 400 troops
4 kingdoms = 5 projects, 500 troops

After five kingdoms, you don't get any more benefits (although at that point +you've basically gotten powerful enough to just eradicate anyone who doesn't want to join an alliance with you)

Each day, you recruit troops and do projects. When you finish a project, indicate what exactly it did. you finished your baconator project, you should say "project complete" and then give a description of what it adds to your kingdom. Your "information" spoiler should be edited to reflect the new info as well. If you're in a battle and have poison arrows and you don't put it in the supplies and/or troops section, the battle judge will mod the battle as if they weren't there.

"Hey, 0cra, all this kingdombuilding is cool and all, but what about the actual war part?"-someone

Glad you asked! With that, let's move on to the two biggest parts of Land Wars: War and Diplomacy.

[b]Diplomacy:[/b]

You may interact with kingdoms in two ways. The first is through letters, which must be posted in the thread at the end of your update. These can be about anything. Maybe you want to establish a non-aggression pact, or maybe you want to trade, or maybe you want to call the enemy king a fuckface. Whatever the reason, you post a quick letter, like so:
[quote=Letter to King Ragnar of the Vikings]
Greetings, your beardedness. We may not see eye to eye with your warrior culture, but we have no bad blood between us. As such, we propose a non-aggression pact between us. Furthermore, if you are interested, we would like to trade some of our healing potions for your mighty direwolves. What say you?
[/quote]
You're kinda expected to be somewhat in character for the letters. You don't need to follow ancient diplomatic tradition or whatever, just don't say "Hey 0cra, non-aggression pact?" or something like that.

The other way is through PMs. Obviously I have no control of what you send here so don't bother being in character unless you want to. Generally speaking, PMs, Skype, Discord and the like would be used for plotting joint attacks on enemy civilizations or other things you don't want other people to know about. Doing simple things like non-aggression pacts or alliances in PMs, while not forbidden, is heavily frowned upon. If you want to trade, please do it in the thread so I know why the dwarves suddenly started using elven longbows.

Quick note on trade: how many of each supply each person gives is up to the negotiators. However, you can't mass produce foreign items until you reverse engineer them, which requires a separate project to mass producing. If you trade for/steal the blueprints for the item, you don't need to reverse engineer.

[size=24pt][u][b]War![/b][/u][/size]

Alright, so let's suppose you want to fight someone! There are three different ways of duking it out. The first, and by far the most common, is invading. To do this, you would post in the thread separately from your update, and it would include the following:

-Who you are attacking
-What your objectives are (nine times out of ten this would be "take an enemy city" but you can burn their farms or steal their supplies if you'd like. The effects of such will be determined by the war mod)
-The troops you or your allies commit to the battle
-The supplies you or your allies commit to the battle
-The attacking strategy

The strategy is the most important part. Basically, you split this up into five phases. Each phase you describe what troops you're committing to that part of the plan, and what they're doing.

As soon as possible, the defending kingdom will write up a counter strategy. When doing so, the defender should try to avoid metagaming, i.e. they should pretend not to know what the attacker is doing (apart from obvious maneuvers like cavalry going around the side). Defenders can call upon their allies to help them-though there is no guarantee that they will arrive in time if they live on the other side of the continent or across hard to get around terrain.

Try to hit the "goldilocks" range for word counts; you should post more than "my raiders attack" but less than something people would spam "TL;DR" over.

Once both attack and defense are posted, I will determine the outcome of the battle. This isn't a RTD-all battles will be an impartial, informed decision based on the strategy and capabilities of each side. Once this is done, the battle judge write it up, post the battle in the thread, and determine who won.

[url=http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/single/?p=9445551&t=9266755]Here[/url] is a good example of an attack, the [url=http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/single/?p=9446698&t=9266755]defense, [/url] and the war mod's [url=http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/topic/9266755/?author=3113142]response.[/url]

The other two types of battles are stealth attacks and duels. Stealth attacks are when small groups of troops enter a kingdom and attempt to carry out a mission-assassinate the general, steal a legendary sword, blow up the city walls, whatever. You can't take cities in a stealth attack, for obvious reasons. How many times have empires successfully claimed cities via stealth missions? (Spoiler alert: None.)

Because metagaming would so rampant in stealth missions, when attempting to carry one out, all you post in the thread is who you are attacking. The strategy, troops you're committing, and objectives must be PM'd to me, whereupon the defender will PM as much information as they think is relevant to their kingdom--the layout of their cities, where items are kept, where the general is, where patrols go, etc. If the king, all troops, and all items are kept in an impenetrable bunker of immovable object-unstoppable force alloy with no hope of infiltration or something like that I reserve the right to call bullshit and determine these things using my best judgement. Once I have all the information, I'll post the results of the incursion in the thread.

The third type of battle is a duel. In this, two or more kingdoms agree to fight with a certain number of troops on neutral ground. This can be for whatever reason--roleplay, rights to a conquered city, a duel between two warriors, or whatever you want. All involved sides will post their troops being committed but PM their strategies to me.

Alrighty, now I know you're probably thinking "holy fuck TL;DR" but there's just a couple more things to be aware of:
[list]
[*]For the sake of balance, no looting items off the corpses of enemy troops.
[*]Spies are not allowed.
[*]There's no actual mechanics in terms of diplomacy. A non-aggression pact or alliance can be broken with no penalty--in theory. In practice, doing so will generally cause every other player to hate you and consequently attack you.
[*]You may attempt to intercept and raid enemy trade going to other nations. Consequently, you may also guard your trade convoys with troops.
[*]You may have a maximum of 30,000 troops.
[*]You may have a maximum of 3 heroes at a time. You can recruit 6 heroes over the course of the entire game (so if you have 3 heroes and they die, and you recruit 3 more and they die, you don't get any more.)
[*][b]You are expected to be active.[/b] Obviously if you have real life issues that's fine as long as you communicate with the group. However, dropping off the face of the earth with no warning means that all your kingdom's members are dropped inside the Habbo Hotel pool and left to fend their own against an endless army of stingrays with aids and make it up for grabs by your neighbors. Hopefully they'll fight over it. We do so love our wars here in Land Wars. If you missed any days before I kick you for inactivity, you'll be able to cover them in your post under seperate update spoilers for missed days.
[*]You don't get the benefits for controlling a kingdom until you do a 5 day project to "annex" it. This project cannot be double timed. After this project, you get the extra project slot and 100 troops per day. You also get to fuck around in the archives and grab information on any technology, training methods, or equipment production methods in case you didn't destroy the information you'd want to use for copying their tech.
[*]No changing war strategies. (unless a major event was unaccounted for, such as an obvious super weapon which you did not know about being used)
[*]No technology that's out of reason. Think medieval-times or maybe even steampunk-ish at best with some magic mixed in; not Star Wars or Avatar.
[*]If armies work together in attack or defense, they must be united under one strategy.
[*]It is understood that troops patrol kingdoms and territorial borders even if unstated in updates or logs, unless the player in question states that they're off guard duty.
[*]No using out of game knowledge (army A does project A, Army B doesn't know about project A, yet makes a strategy as if they know about it)
[*]You MUST list all completed projects in your updates. (very important, otherwise it's hard to tell what you have and have not done)
[*]No mass-teleportation.
[*]A limited number of prisoners are allowed but may only be used for information. I, and whoever owned the original troops will discuss what you can find out.
[*]Recruiting units does NOT count as a project.
[*]You may work together on structures and split the days between participating armies.
[*]It's generally assumed that kingdoms have a rough idea of the capabilities of their neighbor's troops, supplies, and completed projects. Projects in progress are secret until the owner reveals his results.
[*][b]If for whatever reason your civilization is in conditions that are inhospitable to a unmodified human with medieval technology, I'll call bullshit and make it so that they magically are not affected by it whatsoever. Toxic air? Free gasmasks! Floating islands? Free jetpacks! Underwater? Free Scuba Gear![/b]
[*]After you annex an unfortunate civilization that you've conquered, or have gotten units from friendlier nations, you can produce them after you get a project to learn how to train them yourself, provided you can mass produce the unit's key supplies.
[*]I won't mind if you make a civilization of robots, just know that you'll start with steam-powered robotics.
[*]The game will end when either A: There's only one alliance left (either because everyone allied with eachother or killed eachother), B: When someone decides to make their civilization create a mess that fucks over the ingame world beyond repair, or C: The players decide to rebel against the GM by making it hard to maintain a game designed for low GM maintenance.
[/list]
So, that's the long and short of it! I know that this seems like a lot of information, but that's just because I like to say in ten words what could be done in five. It's really not that complicated.[/spoiler]

You can now put your pitchforks with "TL;DR" engraved onto them down, the wall of text just ended.

If you want to join, PM your day 0 update! The deadline to do so is [b]September 1st[/b], after which point the game will start.

(Replace the placeholder fields with something else.)
[code]
[spoiler=Day X]
[b]General Info[/b]:
Civilization Name:
Theme: Mundanity
Day 0
Capital: Townton
Acquired Kingdoms: None

[spoiler=Information]
[b]Map(s)[/b]:
A picture of the map of the kingdom and any acquired kingdoms would go here, along with a description of the map and any other necessary material.[/spoiler]

[b]Troops & Heroes[/b]:
[i]Troops[/i]:
A description of each unit type would go here.

[i]Heroes[/i]:
A description of each of your heroes & their capabilities would go here.

[b]Supplies:[/b]
[i]Foreign[/i]:
A description of each supply you've acquired through trades and other outside acquisition would go here.

[i]Domestic[/i]:
A description of each supply indigenous to your kingdom would go here.

[b]Projects[/b]:

Descriptions of any notable completed projects that aren't really self-explanatory ("mass produce healing potions" for example) go here. This would be the best place for projects that involve building a fortress/structure or any project that requires additional explanation.[/spoiler]

[b]Other[/b]:

Players can choose to leave this area blank. This is an optional space where people can put things such as the history of the kingdom, anything roleplay or in-character related, or it can just be a few random notes about your army and kingdom.
[hr]
Troops:
1000 Footmen
1000 Buffalo Soldiers

Total: 2000

Recruitment:
100 Footmen
100 Buffalo Soldiers

Total: 200

Supplies:
Starbucks-Coffee Cannon
Baconators

Projects:
Mass produce Baconators (0/3)
Recruit Commander Blanche McNorman (0/2)

Completed Projects:
None.
(if this list gets extensive, I advise using some form of spreadsheet to quickly categorize it, since this site doesn't support dual layer spoilers.. It should always be clear how many days it took to complete a past project.)

Log: this is just where you put your thoughts for the day, typically in-character stuff from your kingdom's leader(s). Feel free to put OOC stuff outside.[/spoiler][code]

I'll make another post displaying the above code in a separate post.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 08:10:41 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: December 19, 2018, 08:03:20 pm »

The code mentioned in my previous post:

I advise making your civilization somewhat unique from your generic medieval empire. I am not strict at all on themes, so go make your kingdom whatever you want it to be themed after. Hell, you can make a fucking ROBLOX-themed civilization for all I care. (Don't worry, I won't judge you for that, I actually play ROBLOX every now and then.)

Hello and welcome to Land Wars, a forum based grand strategy game! In it, players create fictional high-fantasy nations and send their armies after other players in an effort to conquer the world, or failing that, each other. It's a ton of fun.

If you're new, welcome, and read on; it may be a lot but I promise the game is less complicated than it sounds and it's absolutely worth it.

You can now put your pitchforks with "TL;DR" engraved onto them down, the wall of text just ended.

If you want to join, PM your day 0 update! The deadline to do so is January 15th, after which point the game will start.

(Replace the placeholder fields with something else.)
Code: [Select]
[spoiler=Day X]
[b]General Info[/b]:
Civilization Name:
Theme: Mundanity
Day 0
Capital: Townton
Acquired Kingdoms: None

[spoiler=Information]
[b]Map(s)[/b]:
A picture of the map of the kingdom and any acquired kingdoms would go here, along with a description of the map and any other necessary material.[/spoiler]

[b]Troops & Heroes[/b]:
[i]Troops[/i]:
A description of each unit type would go here.

[i]Heroes[/i]:
A description of each of your heroes & their capabilities would go here.

[b]Supplies:[/b]
[i]Foreign[/i]:
A description of each supply you've acquired through trades and other outside acquisition would go here.

[i]Domestic[/i]:
A description of each supply indigenous to your kingdom would go here.

[b]Projects[/b]:

Descriptions of any notable completed projects that aren't really self-explanatory ("mass produce healing potions" for example) go here. This would be the best place for projects that involve building a fortress/structure or any project that requires additional explanation.[/spoiler]

[b]Other[/b]:

Players can choose to leave this area blank. This is an optional space where people can put things such as the history of the kingdom, anything roleplay or in-character related, or it can just be a few random notes about your army and kingdom.
[hr]
Troops:
1000 Footmen
1000 Buffalo Soldiers

Total: 2000

Recruitment:
100 Footmen
100 Buffalo Soldiers

Total: 200

Supplies:
Starbucks-Coffee Cannon
Baconators

Projects:
Mass produce Baconators (0/3)
Recruit Commander Blanche McNorman (0/2)

Completed Projects:
None.
(if this list gets extensive, I advise using some form of spreadsheet to quickly categorize it, since this site doesn't support dual layer spoilers.. It should always be clear how many days it took to complete a past project.)

Log: this is just where you put your thoughts for the day, typically in-character stuff from your kingdom's leader(s). Feel free to put OOC stuff outside.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:26:26 am by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: January 13, 2019, 06:33:48 pm »

I posted this in the mafia subforum too, but there aren't a lot of people there, so I'm posting it here, too.
----
With suggestions from webadict, IcyTea and FallacyofUrist, I've been working on an idea to help bring new players into mafia, and I want to pitch it here to see what you think about it. Like Beginner's Mafia, it's meant to introduce newbies to the conventions of forum-based mafia.  However, while BM eases them in with a minimalist design, my idea is to appeal to them with a thematic and mechanical link to Town of Salem. Potential players have probably played that game before, and so will be more likely to sign up and enjoy playing because they are familiar with the game and it's rules.

The round can be run with 6 players, but can support up to (and seems best with) 10. It's a semi-open setup, with many of the roleslots being one of three possible roles. Here is the breakdown of that:

6 Players
Mafiaso
Sheriff / Investigator / Lookout
Doctor / Bodyguard / Vigilante
Vigilante / Veteran / Escort
Escort / Transporter / Spy
Spy / Mayor / Doctor

7: Consort / Consigliere / Blackmailer
8: Sheriff / Investigator / Lookout
9: Random Town (from the 11 above)
10: Serial Killer / Arsonist

Days will last 48 hours, and nights will last until all actions are submitted (maximum of 24 hours). 6 players games (and maybe others?) will require a lynch everyday, to prevent the town from stalling things out while they gather info. Lynches will work as we're used to them, but - in the case of a forced lynch - ties will extend the day by 24 hours, and then will be broken at random if there's still a tie. Unlike Town of Salem, there are no whispers, and mafiachat works even during the day.

Now, I need to address the problem of balance. At face value, the town has a massive advantage because each of their players is a power role. However, I don't want to include vanilla roles in the game, because the guarantee of being a power role is the core appeal of Town of Salem. Therefore, I've done my best to balance out this advantage through other aspects of the game's design. First, the "1 of 3" roles make any claim by scum sound reasonable. Few of them can be directly counterclaimed, and even a massclaim can't pinpoint the liar. Secondly, the exact roles in the game have been chosen to give every type of scum at least one indesputable claim for an investigator. Lastly, some of the town roles in the game (Escort, Transporter, Vigilante and Veteran) can hurt or hinder the town, so their "anti-synergy" helps bring down the inherent advantage of being a power role.

What do you think? Is this a good setup, or are there some considerations I missed? Would anybody here - especially potential players who are considering joining the subforum - be interested in playing?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3364 on: January 16, 2019, 09:55:50 pm »

I know people never take suggestions, but here is one.

Arms Race based on post-judgement day Terminator. Skynet vs Resistance.

Battles take place in the nuclear ravaged wasteland of the future, but also in the past, with time travel missions potentially effecting technology.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: February 08, 2019, 10:14:55 pm »

There are 10 Hunters of Darkness games, one here as a company manage Thing. The other is RTD the Occult War.

Was thinking of two more.

A Arms Race where two orders go out of their way to slay monsters and out compete the rival to get more funding.

The other a council game, 9 players max, be the actual board of directors managing the order.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: February 20, 2019, 01:50:44 pm »

I have a few ideas for a roleplaying games to run. I want to start running one this summer.

My first idea is a pre-bronze council game.
Each player would control a clan in the tribe/nation.

At the start each clan would have a few hundred people in them and the entire tribe would start at around two thousand people. Each clan would be able to take individual actions as well as giving input as to how the overall tribe is run. The tribe would start as a pastoral society.

Bronze would be descovered by part way through the game. If the game lasts long enough we might get to iron. There would also be a moderately low amount of magic

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: February 20, 2019, 04:52:38 pm »

Sounds fun.  Will there be crises that people will have to work together on,  or will the players create their own conflicts?

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: February 21, 2019, 01:02:48 am »

Sounds fun.  Will there be crises that people will have to work together on,  or will the players create their own conflicts?
Both, I have a few ideas for environmental challenges as well as other tribes for the players to deal with.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: March 14, 2019, 08:08:34 pm »

Idea, since the Eldrich horror of Web of Life is hot...
Something based more directly on Darkest Dungeon outright, with the characters controlling the PC and loosely the PC's party as they cleave through the Darkness and the Madness. PC creation is simple, choosing class and appearance, crafting a personality that affects their starting stats, all of that. The party members? Their life is from RNGsus himself. Make a big focus on writing challenges for bonuses and wild ideas so crazy they just might work.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: March 14, 2019, 09:33:33 pm »

That sounds like a cool one. So list of classes or make them up? I got four adventuring people in mind. Battle Mage, Dracomancer, Hunter ( Castlevania style) or A Mutant.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: March 18, 2019, 08:14:56 am »

Got a idea for a Seven Year War Game. Or basically Gun powder world war and with magic/far out tech.

And yes can research technsnd such but this time different from a Arms Race. As there is two ways to research. And research is different anyway

10 players, four chunks of land each, money each turn. This money defines actions. If run out of colonies draw from main country treasury, should that run out player is out of the game.

Gold spent on units ( ground forces, naval fleet, or sky fleet.)

As for research:

1: 3 Gold for random rrsearchn( roll 1/10 due. Result is the type of tech you get to decide to use.)

2: 6 Coins. You, get to decide what the Gell you want, without question but I The GM decide how legal/illegal it is.

No teams of Arms Race and one thread for game.

Ten players for ten countries. Team up of 5 ca 5.

Also another unit is Mercs. Non humans who gladly fight for cash. Whoever gets said tribe first keeps them for good.

Unit hp: Yes your units have hp, the healthiest is ready, then wounded, depleted and lastly over run. Over run basically means dead.

Land forces only forces to secure land and defend it from other land invaders.

Naval aside carrying land forces can fight naval fleets and block gold of port cities which also denies them troop forces that choke point.

Sky Fleets can Attack anywhere on map, best vs other sky fleets and can bomb lower levels, just less accurate, and threat of being taken down.

Oh and magic is real. Can research that too ( always 4 Gold though and each country only can have one type. Pick from start. Huge variety to choose from.)

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: March 18, 2019, 12:49:44 pm »

My idea for the list is to rip it directly from Darkest Dungeon, honestly...
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: March 21, 2019, 03:30:23 pm »

New Pangaea ( Sci Fi version)

Council rules like with current Darkness game.

Freedom’s Song: Here the pc faction are a people, slaves who escaped out ofbslavery with a super high tech ship. The first true FTL ship. I roll planet and stuff at start. The objective is simple. Survive.

And nice enough that no toxic, barren, or brine stone worlds here. No fun if everyone dies in seconds of planetside. The goal is to stay alive and master the elements.

The second:

Free Clans: Here every player a representative of their clan ( there are like 60 or more clans. Huge character list.) you guys basically exploring the universe and keeping yourself free. ( max players will be 14. The rest get npced, unless you want to control a group for real.)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: April 06, 2019, 09:32:27 am »

I have one thing I am currently unsure about how I should handle skills and quantification for my current quest. Which can be found at the following link. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173660.0

I want whatever method I use I want to scale well to where It would work for something that lasted for up to 50-60 updates. I plan to finish before then. But, giving myself some wiggle room without reworking the system would be nice.

I have several ideas but I am unsure which is best. I have already discarded a gamer like system because it does not match what tone and level of feedback I want for the quest.

1) Use a letter grade system similar to Zander's quest. For any small effects I would just put it in my notes and give a notice when it hits a threshold to inform you.

2) Hidden Stats: Don't show the readers any detail about the actual stat level instead give clues through showing in writing.

3) Word based progress descriptions. Have a status area that shows a general description of the categories of skill the character has with descriptions for the capabilities they have.

4)Hybrid: Use quantified ranks only when I think capabilities are vague.  giving a stat for more mental, spiritual, and magical things while just describing literally what they know they can do for more physical things.

5) Hybrid 2: Use quantified ranks. Inform the reader when the increase. But don't tell them what the current value is in numbers just give a description. Optionally, tell them the amount they increased by numerically.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 237