Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 380388 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3405 on: February 06, 2021, 08:27:09 pm »

Symbols of Deception?

Fingers crossed, makeup, a mask, can you help me think of more symbols of deception? (objects are best)

I made a new thread upon the suggestion a reset would be helpful: Game Design Discussion and Review
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:41:41 pm by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: February 13, 2021, 12:44:07 am »

I'm thinking of running a strategy game (maybe along the lines of Countries @ War), and I'm wondering if someone knows where I can find an Earth map divided into regions of roughly equal size.
There are many hexmaps, if that's your thing

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: February 13, 2021, 03:59:04 pm »

I'm thinking of running a strategy game (maybe along the lines of Countries @ War), and I'm wondering if someone knows where I can find an Earth map divided into regions of roughly equal size.
There are many hexmaps, if that's your thing
I suspect the need has passed in the last 10 months.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on whether the arms race model could maybe be modified not to need three threads each? There are nine AR threads on the front page now and I just feel like this is too many. Quicktopics, maybe?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: February 16, 2022, 10:11:50 pm »

I'm bumping this thread because its sure better than the other threads and there's lots of ideas buried in here!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: February 18, 2022, 07:58:16 pm »

I've had this idea for a roleplay heavy game in my head for too long. Is there enough interest to start it?
Does it need any changes? I haven't played a mechanics-free roleplay game that's entirely fluff, let alone hosted one.

Brief blurb: An empire roleplay over eras of time, where we go through the evolution of different magical systems, starting from the earliest epochs with the equivalent of tribal rain dances, and figure out the intermediate steps between that and magic spaceships.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3410 on: February 19, 2022, 08:19:45 am »

Seems like an interesting idea, albeit not one I'd want to play (due to a preference for character driven stuff.) Definitely worth attempting.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: April 01, 2022, 02:40:33 pm »

I've had this idea for a roleplay heavy game in my head for too long. Is there enough interest to start it?
Does it need any changes? I haven't played a mechanics-free roleplay game that's entirely fluff, let alone hosted one.

Brief blurb: An empire roleplay over eras of time, where we go through the evolution of different magical systems, starting from the earliest epochs with the equivalent of tribal rain dances, and figure out the intermediate steps between that and magic spaceships.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
yes please, sounds wonderful, I’ll play it

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3412 on: April 22, 2022, 10:57:00 pm »

I am planning a session of 1000 blank white cards---on another forum, but the answer to my question may be beneficial to anyone hosting card based games. Anyone recommend a website for shuffling cards? Sounds simple but what I am really asking is for a way to make it so there's no need for a referee... So something all players can access, and not tamper with after the setup.

Update: Went with a post-timer method, with 1 card assigned to each second (and duplicates assigned to multiple) for an (infinite) 60 card deck.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 03:57:41 am by RoseHeart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: May 12, 2022, 08:26:38 pm »

So my ideas of late have end up being to close to RL, a twilight 2000 game with a ragged band in a nuke war post apocalypse? too close to home.
A Stalker focused SG? nope that's out, we got to the the Russian army play that in RL.

But i have an idea, President Urist.
A suggestion game where you are President Urist, the ruler of new a micro country as the cold war rages an you try to lead a nation to peace prosperity an sobriety.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: May 13, 2022, 12:00:25 pm »

So post-apoc SPAMKingdom?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: May 13, 2022, 12:06:55 pm »

So my ideas of late have end up being to close to RL, a twilight 2000 game with a ragged band in a nuke war post apocalypse? too close to home.
A Stalker focused SG? nope that's out, we got to the the Russian army play that in RL.

But i have an idea, President Urist.
A suggestion game where you are President Urist, the ruler of new a micro country as the cold war rages an you try to lead a nation to peace prosperity an sobriety.
I'm not sure I agree with your perception of RL at all.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3416 on: July 06, 2022, 03:51:52 am »

One challenge I've had in Co-op games where everyone controls their own characters, is to get players to work together. It's always one action from each player after another, and then I make the update. I'm wondering if some kind of "planning phase" before actions are allowed would help. It doesn't seem that increasing the difficulty alone will help...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: July 06, 2022, 11:55:17 am »

Players are naturally inclined to cooperate, so the trick to coordinating their actions is to ensure that they all want the same thing, and have the tools to combine their efforts to achieve it.

Example: A warrior, thief, necromancer, and priest walk into a bar. Each one picks a spot to search for loot. They are technically working together, but "help the necromancer search behind barrels" is neither helpful nor interesting, so it gets tossed in favor of ransacking the chandeliers.

Now let's say a warrior, thief, necromancer, and priest are fighting a pair of orc brutes led by an ogre glutton, which swallows the warrior whole. Now the players are all going to be focused on essentially the same goal: Get the warrior out of that ogre's gut.

However, they still don't necessarily have the tools to coordinate their actions; presumably everyone will try to pry open the ogre's jaws or just deal enough damage to drop it before the warrior is digested. If all you want is focused fire, this works, but if you want players changing their actions based on each other, you need their options to be flexible enough to accommodate this.

So in this case, let's say the necromancer has a necrotic bolt that deals damage, and a few hexes that debuff targets. Well... would any of those actions help with getting the warrior out? Would any of them help with something else someone is doing to get the warrior out? Once you've got a toolset and a way those tools interact, everyone starts looking at everyone's tools trying to find a pattern, and you often get cooperative actions.

At that point, in fact, the issue tends to become that certain combos become routine and potentially boring. Maybe the necromancer does more damage hexing targets so the warrior hits them harder than he does with a necrotic bolt, and so ends up spamming Hex of Vulnerability instead of Necrotic Bolt every round.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: July 06, 2022, 06:00:52 pm »

Here's a link to a video discussing how the classes in Team Fortress 2 were designed to make teamplay come as naturally as possible to players who weren't specifically interested in that.

If I had to condense it down to a single take-away, it would be this: Create a game with a lot of diverse roles that appeal to a variety of players, and make those roles naturally play off of each other. To use some TF2 examples:
  • A Soldier is a DPS machine, but his slow-walking speed necessitates damaging rocket jumps, which force him to take breaks and seek out healing.
  • A Medic is great at mitigating damage and healing people, but they can't do much without being given DPS classes to heal.
  • An Engineer is great at setting up fortifications to defend an area, but he's not very good at pushing forward.
  • A Pyro is great at close range, but defenceless against long range threats.
  • A Sniper is great at long range picks, but cannot defend himself at close range.
Ultimately, you want to give your players limitations that can only be bypassed via cooperation with other players. Limitations are obvious and your players will immediately start looking for ways to get around them. The stick is a more powerful motivator than the carrot here.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3419 on: July 06, 2022, 07:41:13 pm »

I wanted them to get good at the teamwork basics before I introduced classes, using just the battlefield positioning to protect the injured mostly. Idk, maybe if I have a non-combat puzzle that functions the same way, it will put them in the mindset.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 237