Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Have to choose between 2 diets, neither seem good.  (Read 6589 times)

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Have to choose between 2 diets, neither seem good.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 08:25:53 pm »

Hrmm, you did tests for bateria?

I'm sure if you knew what type of bacteria was in your stomach and had some way of telling what it ment you could probably find the answer to what diet could work.  What are your personal preferences; do you like to eat a bucket of black licorice everyday (normally)? Do you drink lots of milk? Do you have any allergies? I probably wont dig this thread up, but yeah, I think medicine should be personalized and made much more thorough in records.  Like keeping records in the order of amino acids in your hair.  It may not be feasable now, but economies of scale, I hope you do make it economically feasible to test your own dna (and find the order of *codons) using a home DNA thingymibob set for less than 5 bucks. 

*I forgot the name for three nitrogen bases in a row for DNA

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 08:53:30 pm »

You may want to supplement what you get at your girlfriend's house with cheap calories.  As suggested earlier, dried rice, beans, and lentils can be bought at trivial rates.  Vegetable oil is slightly more expensive, but it can add necessary fats and allows for easy cooking (although I'd go easy with it at first in case it sets off your stomach).  Rice and beans or lentils can be stir-fried in a pan in under ten minutes.  Most salad vegetables/fruits can also be stirred in for flavor (peas, peppers, onions, tomatoes...), although leafy greens are a case-by-case basis.

If you can get your hands on chicken or other cheap meat (or a broth) you can stir a bit in, rationing it over the course of the month.  The meat analogs might also work, but I've never tried it so they might not impart any flavor.  You might also want to look at what spices/sauces (salt, pepper, soy sauce, cajun spice, Mrs. Dash) as they can break up some of the monotony.  The same ingredients could also likely be re-purposed into a soup, but I suck at making soups so I won't touch that subject.

Eggs are a good source of protein and go well with fried rice, but like most animal products are more expensive.  Canned tuna is also a good protein source.  Milk (especially whole milk) is great for people trying to gain weight.  You can't rely on these as major calorie sources, but if you have anything extra they should help you maintain satiation and keep your weight up.

It might be hard to get them to get avocados given that they can be expensive in certain regions.  If they're into the "health food" aspect of losing weight, you might suggest the pseudograins amaranth and quinoa, which have a much more robust nutritional profile than rice.

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 09:28:03 am »

Vitamins are really undervalued in the States, despite evidence that they're really important for a long, healthy life
And there are some studies which point to long-term morbimortality associated with them. To each his own, though.

As far as I know this was for synthetic forms of vitamin E which are not identical to the natural vitamin E found in foods.

Also tip for cheap, decent food: cooked red lentils, optionally with mixed vegetables.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:14:10 am by Blah »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:12 am »

Eggs are a good source of protein and go well with fried rice, but like most animal products are more expensive.
I can't agree here - eggs run around 16 cents each in most places, meaning you can make an entire meal out of them for less than a dollar. They aren't rice, but they are significantly cheaper than fruits and greens, at least.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 06:07:12 am »

And you could get a chicken, a friend for life (or at least 10-15 years if you're lucky).
Everything said up there is pretty dead on, my own 2 cents would be that an extremely frugal and cheap diet of rice and beans/lentils/peas and some source of  essential oils (sunflower is ok) , would be essentially enough for most vegetarians to subsist on, provided some variety of other foods is included for vitamins  (mostly iron and B vitamins would be lacking from this diet) If you eat some meat you should be fine.
Nuts are expencive but a good source of protien and a very good source of healthy fats, also if you can afford it linseed is probably the healthiest grain/oil you can get, mostly because it's high in omega 3 which most other unsaturated oils are low in. (Though i think if you consume high levels of omega 3 and low levels of omega 6 you'll end up deficient also).
I'm rather fond of fairly frugal noodle/rice soups myself which would fit your situation quite well.
Take some fresh garlic and diced onion and lightly fry in a bit of oil, add diced vegetables like carrot, celery and broccoli and cook a bit, then add dried beans which have been soaked in water for half a day (a small hassle, but you can just take a handful of dried beans and add twice as much water, you'll have enough for a few days), cook untill slightly soft, add water and either noodles or precooked leftover rice.
Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Taking this pretty simple recipe you can add whatever other vegetables or meats you have around, even an egg is a good additional source of protien, or throw in some nuts.
Also learn to microwave rice, it's easy and when you have leftover rice in the fridge you can make a simple snack very easily.
I've recently myself rediscovered the digestive benefits of fruit, i have generally poor digestion and fairly infrequent bowel movement, but lately i've been processing fruit into high pulp smoothies (wash fruit throughly, peel inedible skin and remove seeds,put into food processor and pulp it throughly, combine with about 50% water to improve drinkability and also because the fibre absorbs the water and it becomes far better for digestion, then drink)
Tastes ok, very refreshing and hydrating, and gets things moving smoothly much better than anything, even better than merely eating fruit and drinking water seperately. However i should add that any amount of processing damages certain vitamins, C especially gets damaged from oxidation and is best retained if you eat fruit whole.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 07:39:30 am »

Course, with certain fruits that's not such a big deal. If you make a kiwi smoothy with, say, 3 kiwis, you can lose somewhere around 70% of of the available Vitamin C and still 100% meet your daily value in a single smoothie. :P

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 07:47:42 am »

If you feel like spicing up things a bit on the cheap, chilli can be good. Here in Oz they're somewhere between 13 and 20 dollars a kilo (%5-8/lb) but the little bastards weigh approximately fuck all grams each, and are the hottest of the bunch.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 07:49:39 am »

Affordability of Kiwis, of course, depends on your location. Seems to vary pretty wildly...

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 07:52:00 am »

Also throwing in my agreement with the above; stuff like rice, eggs, onions, frozen peas/corn/beans and bacon are all dirt cheap, and keep for ages. Fry with the right oil, and you've got a delicious snack already. Better yet, it's incredibly versatile. You can add pepper, chillies, and capsicum (you guys call them bell peppers I think; large, non-spicy relatives of the chilli), olives, mushrooms, anything really.

Mashed potatoes, made with lots of milk and butter, are also cheap, and very filling.

Finally, things like soy and fish sauces (common in SE asian cuisine) can also actually provide a surprising amount of protein and huge amounts of flavour, great for livening up a meal. (They also contain an ungodly amount of salt though, so careful).

If you feel like spicing up things a bit on the cheap, chilli can be good. Here in Oz they're somewhere between 13 and 20 dollars a kilo (%5-8/lb) but the little bastards weigh approximately fuck all grams each, and are the hottest of the bunch.

Birdseye chillies are the best thing ever. I use em by the handful when I have them :D
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 09:31:08 am »

Lard is an excellent source of calories and is fairly cheap. Use it instead of vegetable oil for cooking, or as a bread spread (tastes pretty good with onions and tomatoes). It's actually healthier than vegetable oil when it comes to frying, because vegetable oil is unstable at high temperatures and degrades into carcinogenic compounds. And it tastes better, there's a reason why French cuisine holds it in high regard.

Praise the Lard!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:05:23 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 10:06:15 am »

you guys seem to be forgetting that the dude has an irritable stomach... healthy isn't an adjective that can be applied in an absolute manner to certain foods, different kinds of food can cause different kinds of problems. lentils and beans, for example, have been suggested often, they're healthy in a number of ways, but they also very aggressive to some people's stomachs.

my advice would be first to pinpoint what exactly is healthy for you, instead of going by what is generally considered healthy. in the meantime, rice and potatoes are indeed cheap and very light on the stomach. white meats are generally safe too, but also somewhat more expensive.
you may want to avoid milk and milk derivatives, red meat, eggs, beans, lentils, soy and soy derivatives like the "fake meat" you mentioned, leafy vegetables, very acidic fruits like apples and citruses, as well as fatty foods. avoid chocolate, coffee and strong teas.
you don't want to avoid all of this though, you should experiment a bit to try and see what makes you feel worse if your medic failed to pinpoint a specific cause to your condition.

eh, i know this from cooking regularly for several different people with wildly varied stomach problems and prescribed diets
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:14:03 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 10:48:12 am »

Yeah, I know - but we don't know what foods are and are not good for his stomache, I've seen people with different problems, so we were just trying to throw as much stuff out as possible options. Thats part of why rice and potatoes were the first thigns mentioned. :P

Are there actually problems with eggs though? Of the many people I've met with dietary problems, I can't remember eggs being one of them.

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 04:26:05 pm »

You need to figure out through experimentation what you can tolerate. It's different for everyone. Individual sensitivity to foods varies greatly. Keep in mind that it may take up to two days for symptoms to appear (reactions may only occur in certain tracts of the digestive system). Also you need to figure out what you like to eat, eating foods you dislike is unsustainable for longer periods of time.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 03:01:17 am »

Do you have coeliac disease? Did the doctor have any idea what was causing the problem?

Breadwinnner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »

Tinned tuna is your friend; high protein, low fat, and cost effective.
Pages: 1 [2]