Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about surviving the next attack...  (Read 1448 times)

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about surviving the next attack...
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »

The last game I played I lost because an army of undead decided to attack us. I tried building a drawbridge during another game, but I couldn't figure it out. But I'm not on a slope on this particular map, instead I just have stairs downwards...in the middle of an open field.... cause that makes sense.
Anyway, how could I get everyone to go inside next time? Also how to rig a trapdoor to prevent the zombies/whoever attacks me from killing me. I'll probably just sit down and read the combat section of the wiki, but I don't feel like reading that much atm.

kujpat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf in a +Red Dress+
    • View Profile
    • Some Guy Called Cody
Re: Questions about surviving the next attack...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:22:06 pm »

Use hatches on top of your stairs, they work just like doors.

Also for restricting civilians to the inside, you'd need to make a burrow that covers all of your inside fort. And then use the military alerts screen to make an alert that restricts civilians to that burrow.

There's a walkthrough on the "Scheduling" article in the wiki, which will explain exactly how to do it better than I ever could (I only just figured this out last night - makes it so easy to contain dwarves)
You can now continue to scour the landscape, defile the depths of the earth, and ruthlessly murder the creatures of the world knowing you've done your part for the environment.

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:23:01 pm »

So drawbridges won't work like you would expect a drawbridge to work unless there is a moat (dry, filled with water, lava, angry kittens, your choice) for them to cover.  This probably isn't an existing feature of your open field, now.  But you have miners to fix that.  So building a little hut (maybe large enough to hold a Depot?) and then digging out a moat around that would let you use a drawbridge to keep most invaders, undead or otherwise, out.

You could also forego the moat bit and build the drawbrige to raise towards your fort.  When bridges are raised instead of retracted, they act like walls.  Not really acting like a bridge can be a useful thing for a bridge to do.

Either way you want to build it, you will then need to craft three mechanisms.  Use one to build a lever someplace safe (dining halls and wells are good areas because there will frequently be idle dwarves nearby those locations ready to pull it in an emergency).  Once constructed, assign the job to attach it to the bridge, and le voila! you're now ready to repel just about anything.

Turtle turtle turtle!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:27:20 pm »

Use hatches on top of your stairs, they work just like doors.

Also for restricting civilians to the inside, you'd need to make a burrow that covers all of your inside fort. And then use the military alerts screen to make an alert that restricts civilians to that burrow.

There's a walkthrough on the "Scheduling" article in the wiki, which will explain exactly how to do it better than I ever could (I only just figured this out last night - makes it so easy to contain dwarves)

I find these instructions to be more beginner-friendly. Added a link to them to the /Burrow article's section on civilian alerts. In general, the civilian alert burrow information should "pop out" more for beginners in my opinion, but don't have a clear vision yet how to achieve that. I'd probably make a separate article to be honest, with instructions based on Khearn's, and then link have the Burrow and Military Interface articles link to there.