Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Self-imposed explanations of game behavior  (Read 22993 times)

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
Re: Self-imposed explanations of game behavior
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 09:43:31 am »

It's the fetish for building from the left.  I always assume that's a religious thing.
Heck, they do a lot of things from the left. Especially channeling out empty spaces. It must be a religious thing with the dwarves D:

And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh. down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Hehehe. Perhaps they build the walls from north and west to protect themselves from the angry glare of the horrifying, fiery orb known as the Sun, especially during morning and midday. Evenings seem to be ok.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 09:52:14 am »

By evening they're so drunk that they just don't notice it's evening already.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2012, 12:33:49 pm »

And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh. down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Permission to sig? =(
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2012, 02:08:09 pm »

I like to imagine that the gods gave the dwarves the first anvil, and that anvil is kept in a highly secret location, for if all anvils are lost then the world will never have worked metal again.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »

Caddybear, sig away
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 06:41:02 pm »

I like to imagine that the gods gave the dwarves the first anvil, and that anvil is kept in a highly secret location, for if all anvils are lost then the world will never have worked metal again.
No. The Dwarves gave the gods their anvil.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 07:45:59 pm »

I always wondered why Dwarves would dodge off cliffs so much.
And then I realized they were committing suicide.
The horrors of the world are just too much.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2012, 08:02:33 pm »

Easy, the first dorfs embarked to the world with an anvil.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 10:18:58 pm »

All dwarves possess the Secret of Quantum Mechanics. These principles enable them to stack items indefinitely, link machines together with no physical connection, make indestructible structures, and are entirely responsible for the behaviour of the Dwarven Catapult. It was initially granted to them by their deities so they could crowd into the narrow tunnels of the first mountainhome.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2012, 04:10:11 pm »

The dwarves must make regular offerings to Armok, and so they offer the blood of their enemies onto the earth. There, They are told to NEVER TOUCH IT, as it is holy, and defying Armok is unadvisable, lest the dwarves be smote by the holy beard.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Riloki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 04:59:42 pm »

Urist McStarkRavingMad: Can't you see it? We're all being watched by humans controlling our every action! Urist McSplodeyFace died because THEY WILLED IT! And the booze?! THE BOOZE!  It's only a bunch of ones and zeroes! ONES AND ZEROES zeroes and ones! ZEROoneoneoneZEROZEROoneZEROZEROoneoneoneZEROoneZEROoneZEROoneoneZEROoneoneZEROone! See?! Rum! Right there! Rum! Can't you see it in the ones and zeroes?! The rum isn't just gone, it never existed! And the food! The food was cooked without fire or ventilation out of brains and the zeros and ones! Even the food doesn't exist! WHY CAN NO ONE ELSE SEE IT?!

This... is what i imagine the dwarves who go insane suddenly realize. The meloncholic ones get suicidal, the stark raving mad ones are too obsessed with the food not being real to sustain themselves, and the berzerkers realize exactly what they're doing; they just want to cause as much frustration as payback as they can.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50:52 pm »

Urist McStarkRavingMad: Can't you see it? We're all being watched by humans controlling our every action! Urist McSplodeyFace died because THEY WILLED IT! And the booze?! THE BOOZE!  It's only a bunch of ones and zeroes! ONES AND ZEROES zeroes and ones! ZEROoneoneoneZEROZEROoneZEROZEROoneoneoneZEROoneZEROoneZEROoneoneZEROoneoneZEROone! See?! Rum! Right there! Rum! Can't you see it in the ones and zeroes?! The rum isn't just gone, it never existed! And the food! The food was cooked without fire or ventilation out of brains and the zeros and ones! Even the food doesn't exist! WHY CAN NO ONE ELSE SEE IT?!

This... is what i imagine the dwarves who go insane suddenly realize. The meloncholic ones get suicidal, the stark raving mad ones are too obsessed with the food not being real to sustain themselves, and the berzerkers realize exactly what they're doing; they just want to cause as much frustration as payback as they can.

EPIC. Totally true. Especially with the Matrix tileset.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 04:50:01 pm »

Easy, the first dorfs embarked to the world with an anvil.

A dwarf with an anvil had a strange mood and invented time travel.  Entering the world of pre-historic dwarves, he made anvils for them and they worshipped him as a god.  As they asked what to call him he was busy forging anvils, and almost hit his arm.  Releived that he was unhurt he remarked arm-ok.

Or their entity was permitted anvils, as the skeptics would say.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2012, 02:40:45 am »

"But wait," you might say, brimming with skepticism, "Humans bring this to me on their first trip through, and my forts aren't ALWAYS covered in gore at that point."
Sigged.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2012, 12:24:02 pm »

+1 to the theory of beard relativity, Dwarves will treat hair to the fullest degree of healthcare possible, washing it and applying sutures where applicable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4