Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: College Computer Choice  (Read 3202 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: College Computer Choice
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 08:33:26 am »

It helps to have a small PC if you're going to be moving a lot, even if you don't actually use it when on the move.

Also, re upgrading your current laptop: forget the idea. The internals of a laptop are shaped to fit the case (or vice-versa) so you can't realistically replace anything except the ram and drives.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 09:55:48 am »

You can also get a small desktop, with one of those convenient carrying box cases. The problem is usually monitors, but that's why they invented things like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F0IKHA/ref=asc_df_B005F0IKHA2032653?smid=A2NG4HB43UEDVL&tag=nextagusmp0360053-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B005F0IKHA

Just to keep it as an option - not every desktop component is huge and bulky. I'm  not really recommending this, per se (beyond getting a case with a handle if you go desktop, because I have never ever regretted that).

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 10:49:47 am »

It helps to have a small PC if you're going to be moving a lot, even if you don't actually use it when on the move.

Also, re upgrading your current laptop: forget the idea. The internals of a laptop are shaped to fit the case (or vice-versa) so you can't realistically replace anything except the ram and drives.

Not only that, but you'll almost certainly have to junk the entire machine if a key component like the screen or the keyboard quits working, and you'll waste three hours of your life every time you want to clean the dust off the chip fan. (On the other hand, depending what sort of engineering you're planning to study, maybe that'd be valuable practical experience in what not to do.)

My advice is to buy a cheap netbook for note-taking in class and getting work done on your assignments while still enjoying the fresh air -one of those seven-inch Chinese ones would probably do- and sink the bulk of the money into a good desktop; if you keep it in good repair, the latter should stay serviceable for years after you graduate.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 02:24:22 pm »

I vote desktop, but then I always would. If you're willing to build it, you can make them quite small without compromising on how powerful it would be. Some mini-itx boards take powerful CPUs, and I've seen a fantastically powerful shuttle pc build done too.
Small isn't the issue as much as portable is. If I also need to carry around a keyboard and monitor and a car battery, it doesn't matter if the computer itself is small. Although lugging around a car battery and desktop and calling it a laptop would be quite amusing.

Not unless it fits on your lap.

johnPeteres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 08:29:24 am »

I would go for the laptop for its portability. But I would prefer desktop for easy upgrade and power. But there are laptops out there that has the same power of a desktop. It depends on your chosen course.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 08:44:24 am »

But there are laptops out there that has the same power of a desktop.
This is not true. The laptop versions of cpus and gpus are worse than the desktop versions, even if they have the same model number (+/- "m").
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 09:02:11 am »

Not only that, but you'll almost certainly have to junk the entire machine if a key component like the screen or the keyboard quits working,
Not that I'm a huge fan of laptops when you don't need a laptop[1], screens and keyboards are utterly replaceable.  As are the optical drives, wireless modules, batteries, hard drives, hinges and the cases themselves[2], some (not all) have an as-easily-replaced graphics module.  Maybe not for the faint-hearted, but those that are more hardy can even change processors and replace broken ports (USB ones are a bugger for being broken, as well as the power socket).

None of the above will necessarily be cheap to do, but (depending on the model, its age, demand and supply) it might be easy enough for you (or your friendly local expert who isn't inclined to charge an arm and a leg) to change a keyboard (or even replace a single lost key-top!).

But laptops do tend to age faster (wear and tear, and having a generally lower top-end compared with contemporary desktops) so replacing is probably just as viable, if finances allow, and gives you a new machine feel.  (And "new machine 'how the hell do I do this under Windows+1'?" problems... ;) )

[1] I find it annoying when laptops are bought just for space-saving reasons, and will always be used on the same kitchen table.  There's plenty of slimline desktop-type units that can be shuffled behind a cupboard, along with the flatscreen, keyboard and mouse, when not in use, and would still be overkill when it comes to playing Solitaire, or whatever it is that the owner says they want to do with the machine...   Not that this is the situation given here, but it's just one I've frequently encountered...

[2] Although if you have to replace all of these, at once, get a new one. ;)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 12:10:29 pm »

Yeah, I've pretty much settled on a laptop. New question: Anybody have suggestions on what kind?

My two thoughts so far have either been going under-budget with this Asus model or go way over with the Puget Systems route. If anyone else has a good option, please share!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 03:56:46 am »

The asus is nice apart from the gpu, which sucks royally. Magicka (from your steam library) wouldn't run on it, for example.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 04:20:45 pm »

Yeah, integrated graphics aren't quite good. And there might not be enough room in the case to stick a real card.
Pages: 1 [2]