Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military training question  (Read 1854 times)

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military training question
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:22:37 pm »

I have a squad of 10 and I have a room assigned to them with a weapon and armor rack.  I did all the steps to make them train in that room.  In the "j" menu they say that they are "Wait for combat training", "Organize combat training", or "Go to combat training", or "Go to individual combat drill", but it is highlighted in grey and they are just standing around.  Sorry for being kind of newby but I'm not sure how to get them to actually train and spar etc.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military training question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »

You've done everything right.  They're in the process of training.  This entails a great deal of waiting and organizing, which is why you want to leave them alone so that they'll eventually have a chance to start sparring.

So just wait.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »

I've seen them get stuck like this when having errors picking up armor. What does your uniform look like?

Also, I would highly recommend not having them train like that. It'll take years just to get them moderately good. Sparring is the most efficient way to train, short of a danger room. Break them into squads of two, and they'll spend most of their time sparring, quickly reaching legendary in fighting and their weapon skill.

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:52:51 pm »

I equiped them with leather armor which I don't actually have so idk maybe that has something to do with it.  I can't figure out how to not equip them with any armor.  It's just leather or metal or archer.  They are just standing in the barracks doing nothing with the positions they should be doing listed in "j" still grey.  I don't think they are taking a long time, I think something is up...

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 02:08:23 pm »

Ok i split my guys into squads of 2.  no change in their inactivity though :P

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:11:57 pm »

I would recommend creating your own uniform, with only stuff you do have. The key sequence would be 'm-n-c' to create a uniform, I think. Then assign that uniform to your squad from the [e]quipment submenu, and you should be good.

If you don't have any armor or weapons, just make some wooden training axes/spears/swords and some wooden shields from the carpenter's shop. Otherwise you'll get a bunch of buff and sweaty dwarves wrestling on the floor non-stop, which doesn't look good when the liaison visits.

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:27:19 pm »

Ok well the only armor I have are ...coats of various material lol.  So i made a custom uniform that was just coats.  And then some of them said spar in the "j" menu and some said various forms of organizing or waiting or leading a demonstration.  It's still all in grey though.  Is that normal?  It doesn't look like they are moving around in the barracks either.  Just kind of standing there occasionally going to do something

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 02:53:52 pm »

As I said, leave them alone so they can actually get something done.

A training session goes like this:

1) Two or more dwarves get orders to report to the barracks for training.
2) One of the dwarves will begin to Organize the training session.  This uses the Organizer skill, which is probably very very low at the moment.  The rest will wait until the Organization is finished.
3) Once the training session has been Organized, it may turn out to be a Demonstration, or a Sparring session.  If it's a Demonstration, one of the dwarves will Lead it and the others will Watch it.

Several training sessions may be going on simultaneously within a squad, if the squad has more than 3 members.  The typical size for a Demonstration is 1 dwarf leading and 1-2 watching.  Sparring is always 1-on-1, I think.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

mustafa2812

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 03:00:25 pm »

Ok I'll wait and learn more about the military on my own.  just something i want to clear up.  It's ok that their tasks are highlighted in grey in the "j' menu right?  Usually that means inactive, that's my only concern.  I think i remember that in my last fortress the dwarves moved around and looked active when they were sparring, that's all.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 03:06:35 pm »

Honestly I almost never use the 'j' screen so I don't know what colors/etc. to expect from it.  I mostly use 'u' to see what my dwarves are doing now, rather than 'j' to see what needs doin' in the future.  I really only ever use 'j' if I want to cancel a job, or check to see whether all of my dumping jobs have finished so I can re-designate the garbage zone somewhere else for the next dumping task.

magicwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 10:33:15 pm »

If they are sucessfully sparring, which is what you're trying to get them to do when you put them into squads of 2, then you should be able to see Reports of their sparring and such. The indicator is a blue S on the upper left hand side of the screen.
If I wanted to do things the "easy way", then I wouldn't be playing Dwarf Fortress.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 10:46:10 pm »

Break them into squads of two, and they'll spend most of their time sparring,...

How many years does that take? Before they start sparring, I mean. My melee dwarves are in squads of two, but they almost never spar. They're set to train permanently, but they don't seem to get any better, just watching someone demonstrate.