Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Understanding my wounded Dwarf  (Read 3844 times)

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Understanding my wounded Dwarf
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:51:07 pm »

Hello all,

I have this odd case of a Dwarf, more specifically his related wounds, and yet his incredible combat prowess.

The Dwarf in question is one of my older dwarves, having arrived in 252 (Fortress began in 250). As my fortress expanded so too did my military grow. Having been a Competent Speardwarf, and lacking anybody with more experience, I gave him an honorary title of Militia Captain and assigned him to a "Metal Clad" melee unit. By some intriguing stroke of luck, or perhaps my competent production line at the time, Kikrost Egathnokim obtained almost a full Masterwork steel armor set, aside from his steel chain shirt and exceptional steel spear.

Jump ahead a few years and Kikrost earned himself five goblin kills earning him the title of "Praised Grizzle of Riders", and so far remaining unscathed, untill one day...

A minotaur appeared near the fortress, and having been bored by the highly unsuccessful goblin ambushes and sieges I sent Kikrost's squad to dispatch the beast. Even though the wiki warned me of how Minotaurs are dangerous I noted that this one lacked a weapon and as such dismissed the threat. As I observed with anticipation how would the Minotaur handle the squad of ten dwarves, the brave (or foolish) captain charged forward. The minotaur gored him through the steel chainshirt, although not harming the dwarf enough to make him feel uneasy, and the impaled dwarf furiously beat and stabbed, while his companions cut down the beast.

Being the only casuality he was quickly rushed to the hospital, with the "Unable to Walk" syndrome. A swift diagnosis revealed that the lower spine nervous tissue was cut apart. The wound was "fixed". The spine "repaired", sutured, set and then dressed. However, despite this he kept on having the Status: "Ability to Stand Lost". In his "Wounds" unit info the lower spine is Cyan (function loss, it was red earlier).

Everything would suggest that the dwarf is unable to walk, technically. Yet he does not use a crutch, and I am starting to imagine the steel clad dwarf walking around using his spear for a crutch. His speed does not appear to be impaired, nor is he less willing to fight than before.

Does this mean that the diagnosis is wrong? Or is he indeed using the spear for a crutch? It does not appear to be stated anywhere that he is crawling, nor does he have the "Crutch Using" skill.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding my wounded Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:54:42 pm »

It's a relatively new change. Dwarves that are unable to walk on both legs are magically able to walk.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 05:37:46 pm »

You are talking about dwarven medical care. That is one of the things you should never try to make sense of if you value your sanity.

..As long as atleast a part of the beard survives he should be fine.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 07:52:35 pm »

You have a better medical crew than Spearbreakers started with... Our hospital killed more dwarves than the enemy has.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:25:12 pm »

Death is the number one recommended treatment by your diagnostician. 

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:27:14 pm »

Hmm... dwarven wheelchairs?

Actually, that'd be an interesting addition to the game. Wheelchairs, I mean--like crutches, only for spinal cord damage instead. Have the dwarf take five times as long to get up stairs (to simulate his finding a ramp or using a lift) and your dwarves could go right back to work. Well, if the doctor didn't randomly decide to amputate their lungs before they escaped from the hospital.

Of course, a dwarven wheelchair would have a half-dozen cup holders (for booze, of course), and a mount for an undersized siege engine that can be fired by the occupant.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:29:04 pm by Callista »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:05:05 pm »

Wheelbarrows
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 11:34:34 pm »

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 01:13:48 am »

Wheelbarrows
Not nearly dwarfy enough.

how about if the dwarf has to pick up their wheelbarrow and carry it over their head? ^^

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 01:41:43 am »

Youre a lucky one. Sometimes the diagnoser will just shrug a dwarf with his lower body open and guts spilling out as just needing some soap.

In my current fort I lost my longest-serving militia commander to resting. Resting. The poor sod layed there begging for water and food while half the fort was standing around in the dining room doing nothing (not even a party). Even after deconstructing the bed he just layed there till he died of dehydration.

I like to think he just killed himself after all the undead horrors he had to witness kill his comrades and loved ones and to pass on the position to someone more able-bodied and less maimed. At least he died ecstatic about slaughter.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 05:34:05 pm »

Wheelbarrows

how about if the dwarf has to pick up their wheelbarrow and carry it over their head? ^^
Actually, I take it back: Wheelbarrows ARE sufficiently dwarfy. I did a casual search on the history of wheelchairs and it turns out that the first wheelchairs were probably ancient Egyptian hand-carts. One person sat in it and the other person pushed it. So, yeah, basically wheelbarrows.

Considering dwarves can somehow wield a crutch, a shield, and a crossbow in one arm, though, I think they can push their own wheelbarrows!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 05:43:14 pm »

Wheelbarrows
Minecarts. A vast fortress spanning web of mine cart tracks to transport wounded dwarves to and from the dining room and their bedrooms.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.