Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 88638 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2013, 07:34:12 pm »

I have already genned 5 world in which, following your instructions, I cannot find a suitable embark site.
How come that I'm not able to find a low savage, temperate embark without aquifer but with flux, deep and shallow metals and a river?
Try embarking with the aquifer.  They aren't as hard as they at first appear, though they can be frustrating depending on how exactly they are layed out in your map.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2013, 10:02:45 pm »

I have already genned 5 world in which, following your instructions, I cannot find a suitable embark site.
How come that I'm not able to find a low savage, temperate embark without aquifer but with flux, deep and shallow metals and a river?

Let me guess - the problem that keeps coming up is a lack of flux?

Flux is not very searchable recently, and in my experience is very rare in the current build in high mineral maps.

This may have something to do with the world generator variables compensating to make a lot more metals, and metals are normally not found nearly so often in the same types of rock and layers as flux.

Try reducing your mineral levels and see if you get more flux.  If not, check in your departure screen if you can buy flux rock from your civilization - if you can, then just buy every bit of it you can every season, and buy all the pig iron and *edit spelling* steel and steel items you can from your civ traders too.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:10:27 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2013, 12:56:41 am »

Just bought a copy to support the cause lol.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2013, 02:41:00 am »

check in your departure screen if you can buy flux rock from your civilization - if you can, then just every bit of it you can every season, and buy all the pig iron and sleet and steel items you can from your civ traders too.

And how exactly should I look for this information?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2013, 03:16:01 am »

check in your departure screen if you can buy flux rock from your civilization - if you can, then just every bit of it you can every season, and buy all the pig iron and sleet and steel items you can from your civ traders too.
And how exactly should I look for this information?
It requires you to be doing a "Prepare Carefully" rather than "Play Now" embark, on the screen where you select the items to take with you check for the following under "Stone" (not "Stone Blocks", which aren't usable for anything but building material):
  • Calcite
  • Chalk
  • Dolomite
  • Limestone
  • Marble

(the easy way is, for each item, hit "n" then type the name)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2013, 08:37:57 am »

I suspect the cause of your troubles is a bug with the 'find' function when having metals set to 'everywhere'.  For some reason it does not detect flux.  It may actually be present sometimes though...

Probably the best solution is to generate worlds using 'frequent' (I think it is, anyways the second highest) metals.  The finder function will properly detect flux then.   :)  Alternatively go for metals everywhere and take flux out of the find list.  You may end up with it anyway.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2013, 11:07:39 am »

Yeah, setting the metals to "fequent" solved the problem.
It should be updated in the book, though.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2013, 04:00:06 pm »

Yeah, setting the metals to "fequent" solved the problem.
It should be updated in the book, though.

It is in the book: "...and increase the mineral settings to Everywhere." Though, in the table 2-1, it reads Frequent but that's fine too as you said that it worked out.

DethBrand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2013, 03:37:41 am »

This thread is totally misleading.. Sitting here thinking it was a help thread only to find it's an advertisement. -.-

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2013, 12:32:13 pm »

This thread is totally misleading.. Sitting here thinking it was a help thread only to find it's an advertisement. -.-
Not really.  The book is actually quite helpful, especially since there is both dead-tree and electronic formats.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

DethBrand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2013, 05:43:00 am »

Never said anything about the book. =P

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:54 am »

Have you put in a chapter with The Legend of Boatmurdered?
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2013, 10:39:25 pm »

This book will be a great help to THE GAME itself, not just the players of it.

I brought a copy to my workplace to read during break, and some of my coworkers were asking me questions about it.

The game gains greater legitimacy in the fickle public eye from having a book out about it!

I'm not particularly happy about the screenshots being in B&W, mostly because the "ANSI" tiles are more difficult to identify when not in color; but that's probably my only complaint about the book. Even the lack of an index doesn't hurt it.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2013, 06:56:41 am »

Even the lack of an index doesn't hurt it.
Thats because it's Dwarf Fortress. Indexes just makes it more confusing.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

AdamAndEvil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2014, 10:54:07 pm »

Just got the e-book. Very excited to learn this game. I'm having a very hard time finding a suitable site. Every time I think I've found a nice flat, aquifer-free, flux stoned, warm, forested site, I double and triple check my site, then I make preparations and embark, only to find snow all over the place. Or that the only place to carve out a fortress is a level above or below. The book doesn't seem to cover extreme elevation shifts in the walkthrough. In short I'm stuck on Chapter 2. Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Using latest vanilla DF, no add-ons.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16