Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 88502 times)

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 02:48:36 pm »

Yay, a manual! The only recent-ish game that I remember that shipped with one was Dominions 3...  :P
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 02:55:06 pm »

The only thing left to do is burn a bunch of CDs of dwarf fortress with the lazy newb pack, make custom boxes, pack it inside them with the manual and leave them in front of Gamestop buildings, with a $0.00 pricetag attached and a link to Bay12.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 02:57:22 pm »

Yay, a manual! The only recent-ish game that I remember that shipped with one was Dominions 3...  :P
Dat truth man, dat truth. They ship everything but a manual with every modern game.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 02:58:34 pm »

Is the physical copy on a ship delay or such?

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 03:44:25 pm »

Also, y'all are a bunch of negative nancys. I'd argue that the biggest point of the book is to give DF a presence outside of the internet and ease new players into the game in a way that the wiki can't. I mean, the wiki is pretty intimidating. I didn't have a problem with it when I started out but not everyone will feel the same way. The articles are lengthy, numerous, and scattered in such a way that it's hard to know where to start. The wiki is unparalleled as a resource but it's a bad introduction. The book is more-or-less meant to be read from front to back, TP has taken care of that for the player. There's something enchanting about a proper, physical manual with lots of illustrations. I remember the first game I couldn't really figure out on my own was morrowind, and the manual really did help. It made the game feel so much more welcoming, there's something sentimental about it that I can't really explain in words.

I don't believe that print copies becoming out-of-date is as much of an issue as you're making it out to be either, things that were not changed in new releases will still be explained by it. Major revamps are usually spaced apart by months of bugfixing and general polishing. I'd say a single copy would be at least 90% accurate for six months. The problem can be further alleviated by simply including the version each copy was based off, a small warning that some information may be out of date and a section with helpful wiki links for "Further Reading."

Call me crazy, but I think the printed copy has more promise than the e-book.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »

When did Toady write a foreword? Was this the prior commitment he mentioned on the devlog?
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 04:05:49 pm »

The book clocks in at 240 pages or so and 80,000 words. It features nine full-page illustrations and a half-dozen diagrams by [ur=http://www.timdenee.com/comics.htmll]Tim Denee[/url]. The illustrations are based on stories from Dwarf Fortress submitted by players on the forum. You can see one here. If you buy the book, I hope you enjoy it! And please, feel free to let me know if there are any problems with the book. I'll be updating it, after all!

I'm ordering it now, just for the illustrations.  BTW, you goofed up a URL tag by leaving out an L when you tried to link to Tim Denee.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 04:07:20 pm »

When did Toady write a foreword? Was this the prior commitment he mentioned on the devlog?

Toady would've had to write it quite a while ago, so that it could go out to the publishers.  I'm sure their deadline is weeks past by now.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:33 pm »

Congratulations!  I can see this being useful for someone who has limited internet access and lots of free time to learn Dwarf Fortress.  It would be convenient if Dwarf Fortress came on a CD with the book... great buy for someone with no internet at all :)

Zarat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 09:24:12 pm »

Just a heads up - this is really cool. An actual book is a thousand times more useful to someone trying to pick up the game than Internet forums (really?) or a wiki.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 12:42:27 am »

Shouldnt a portion of profits go to bay12?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 01:04:40 am »

Just wanted to say congratulations.  I think it was a great idea.  Will think about maybe picking this up sometime.  I knew some people who are interested in the game, but find it impenetrable... but mostly I'm just curious about the artwork and humorous stories.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 01:22:53 am »

Congratz! Saw this a while back and liked the idea of having an actual book to read on DF!

I will be picking it up in one form hopefully soon!
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 02:42:54 am »

This came up before.  They already have some arrangement with Toady.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 12:21:00 pm »

Thanks for the positive comments everyone! In the end I'm happy if folks enjoy it and people can learn DF off it. I'd also be reaaaally happy if I could get it on BoingBoing or Penny Arcade or some other useful aggregator! I know a lot of people have been scared off DF in the past and I want them to have another go!

I'm ordering it now, just for the illustrations.  BTW, you goofed up a URL tag by leaving out an L when you tried to link to Tim Denee.

Thanks for that - I will try and fix... if I can find it. Where's the error?

Once I clear a cost or two I will be making a donation.

Is the physical copy on a ship delay or such?

I believe the physical copies are shipping now - but I am not 100% sure. I'll ask my editor and let this thread know if they aren't.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:24:57 pm by TinyPirate »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16