Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 89335 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2012, 01:52:47 am »

It is available a lot of places via one method or another. Good Reads has a comparison button you can mash. Might help if anyone has payment peculiarities they need to deal with.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13593700-getting-started-with-dwarf-fortress

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2012, 03:18:23 am »

I got an email stating that my order has been shipped. I eagerly await it's arrival by minecart.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2012, 05:52:12 am »

Ooh great! I haven't seen how it looks physically! I can't wait either!

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2012, 05:07:49 pm »

Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress a paper tome of knowledge.

This is a paper tome of knowledge. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.

On the item is a masterfully designed image of a dwarf and letters. The dwarf is surrounded by letters. The artwork relates to the release of Dwarf Fortress by Tarn Adams in 2006.

This object menaces with pages of paper.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2012, 05:50:38 pm »

tinypirate has been ecstatic lately.  He completed an artifact recently...

Way to go!  Ignore the haters, they gonna hate.  I do agree that the Wiki is a useful free resource, but your book is far better for people who don't pick things up easily that way.  I can't afford a copy right now, alas, but it's on my List of Stuff to Get.

I love the illustration, especially how the Bronze Colossus looks like an Anubisath sort of (Might and Magic 6).  Very cool styling on Tim Denee's part.

I'm  :'( that my stories didn't make it in, but they weren't exactly epic tales of dwarfyness, so I'm not too surprised, either.  Again, grats!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2012, 06:15:16 pm »

Oh, Akrulatol, what a great fort you were (that was my story in the illustration). Tim's made it look much more awesome than it was though with the whole Egyptian them. I particularly love the image of the colossus stomping on poor As while masons build a wall around him!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2012, 07:20:16 pm »

Some things you might want to fix:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, no talk about the hammerer at all?

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2012, 07:36:19 pm »

Thanks all! Great to see a real copy!

Verhid: I will have a review of the nobles section - the way titles evolve causes some confusion and mess. You are right, tho, Hammerer should be in there quite explicitly. Thanks also for other observations, some stuff gets munged in editing/conversion.

ccoolleeiiss

• Bay Watcher
  • Welcome, goblins, to the seige kill...waiting room
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2012, 01:20:48 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A) It just mentions it as a great story from Dwarf Fortress.
B)It uses it casually enough so new players don't get confused.
ex. It has a section called "Urist McMason is Stuck!" and then it tells you how to remove constructions to save a misfortunate dwarf
C) we don't want to scare away potential dorfs, now do we?
D)You want to ask that question? I can't let you do that, Urist.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2012, 04:14:03 am »

I mean no offense.

But shouldnt this be.... not existing until the game is done? In a few months this book will be so out of date it wont be funny. Or is this just how to run a fort, and not covering the features, aside from the basics? Either way, this is impressive. Someone did this without going insane.

It must have been a very lucky Strange Mood.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2012, 04:21:27 am »

Not to mention it's explicitly stated that it will be updated as new features come out.

The ebooks, anyway. The print books won't be.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2012, 04:58:54 am »

Yes - it isn't well explained on O'Reilly's site, but O'R ebook customers will be alerted when the book is updated and able to grab a new copy. Other owners can, if they wish, "register" their book with O'R for $5 and also get the updates.

Print book will always be current to the version bought at the time of purchase. The current version is, basically the May releases of DF - so, exceptionally current

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2012, 05:07:59 am »

Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress a paper tome of knowledge.

This is a paper tome of knowledge. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.

On the item is a masterfully designed image of a dwarf and letters. The dwarf is surrounded by letters. The artwork relates to the release of Dwarf Fortress by Tarn Adams in 2006.

This object menaces with pages of paper.

Lucky!  Mine is still in the mail.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

toasteur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2012, 10:47:27 am »

I mean no offense.

But shouldnt this be.... not existing until the game is done? In a few months this book will be so out of date it wont be funny. Or is this just how to run a fort, and not covering the features, aside from the basics? Either way, this is impressive. Someone did this without going insane.

i remember 2 years ago i learnt to play with an outdated version of DF by the best step by step tutorial ever, using a specific map and thus a predictable outcome (http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/ whatdoyouknow, that's tiny pirate tutorial!!!) and even if just after this tutorial my first act was to download the new version, well even with all the changes i had the basics and thus was able to learn new stuffs as they came.

it may not be up-to-date, it still will be a goldmine. the hardest problem was the complete rewriting of military which was kind of hard to adjust since i barely understood the mechanism of the previous version.

i just hope the book is written like the tutorial was: learn by examples, not just principles. the default ui is so confusing, a step by step action description is required to learn anything.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2012, 11:18:28 am »

Are updates not gonna be usable if I buy this from other places than O'Reilly or does O'Reilly just make it more convenient?
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16