Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Does anyone play DnD?  (Read 6118 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone play DnD?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 06:55:10 pm »

Dnd is one of those situations where I'd buy enough books to pay the price I think it's worth, then rip off everything else. So if I felt $50 was the value of the game, I'd buy $50 worth of books and then start torrenting the rest.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 06:57:40 pm »

I don't, but I enjoy  watching/hearing stories about people playing(this applies to most tabletop games). I frequently browse /tg/ for stories and such. I just wish the source books were not SO DAMN EXPENSIVE!. I refuse to pay 50+ dollars for any book I'm reading for pleasure.

Look at it this way, $50 is less than the cost of a shiny new video game, and rpg books don't have DRM or online play restrictions.

You don't buy the books just to read them. You buy them to play.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 07:06:25 pm »

I don't, but I enjoy  watching/hearing stories about people playing(this applies to most tabletop games). I frequently browse /tg/ for stories and such. I just wish the source books were not SO DAMN EXPENSIVE!. I refuse to pay 50+ dollars for any book I'm reading for pleasure.

Look at it this way, $50 is less than the cost of a shiny new video game, and rpg books don't have DRM or online play restrictions.

You don't buy the books just to read them. You buy them to play.
Yeah, the problem is that I've never played a tabletop rpg before, but if a DnD club or something springs up in my area, I might check it out. But I'm not buying any book till I see what I'm getting first hand. Also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm fairly content with posting in forum rpg'sand reading about a group's escapades.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:25 pm »

Please note: I own a few thousand dollars worth of RPG books.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 08:39:24 pm »

I have played, in roughly chronological order (+ means I GM'd, a number means someone else did) :
(+3) D&D, 4th Edition. Went through the "official" adventures up to Pyramid of Shadows, when everyone got bored. (1st DM'd by someone else, 2nd and 3rd by me.) Also included several of the 3rd E. mini-adventures provided for free on the website, hastily ported (meaning BS'd) into 4th E.
(+) a self-made system based off of 4th E. with a different character building system and more diverse and streamlined combat. (For something I made in a couple of hours, it was surprisingly as good as 4th E.) Never did more than a bit of playtesting, though, as my players decided they hate Pyramid of Shadows.
(1) Star Wars. Worked off of some rulebooks, but mostly improvised. Lasted for one or two dozen sessions, but mostly died off. We could still play, but the GM has moved onto something else.
(+) improvised Fallout: New Vegas game. Pretty fun, but short (two or three sessions), as I lack creativity.
(2) Dark Heresy, without even reading any rulebooks. Went well, but only lasted one session.
(+2) Pathfinder. Played this the most (time-wise; less sessions total than 4th E., but our sessions have been getting longer). I've GM'd 2 or 3 different settings. Another person (2) is doing a heavily Malazan-inspired setting, operating mostly off of the Pathfinder rules for non-magic things; we still play this irregularly.
(1) Unnamed; system inspired by Pathfinder, setting inspired by ASoIaF but pretty original. We've restarted three times due to major setting revision, but we should be starting "for real" soon.
(2) Unnamed; system free-formed, inspired by experience so far; setting inspired by Ghost in the Shell, but almost entirely original. Pretty interesting, works well, hard to explain in short; have played a few sessions, but nothing very recently.

So... Eight games, two of which we purchased rulebooks for. All with a group of three to four people (one doesn't show up very often). It's been a fun few years. Many interesting tales.
I'm currently working on reworking Pyramid of Shadows and maybe Thunderspire Labyrinth to make them actually fun and fit into another new system I'm going to run. Well, I say working on, but that just means I'll have a few ideas a week, write up some very simple revisions once we've gotten together, and improvise the rest as we go along.
My players have told me I'm the best GM. :) (Too bad I'm not creative enough to make many original adventures.)

I'd agree with Nadaka on the point of the books, but I'm not sure I really have room to say much about purchases. I have around $200 worth of material, all but $60 from 4th Edition (the $60 being the Pathfinder book and a PDF of the Bestiary).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 08:48:28 pm »

3.5 DM'ing. :3 Trail's End, Fool mentioned it. Giantitp.com might also have a bunch of games, and so will Rpol.net. O-o I use Maptools.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 2 [3]