Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would anyone be able to simplify the military for me?  (Read 3425 times)

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would anyone be able to simplify the military for me?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 04:04:33 pm »

just iron is ok, when your soldiers get good enough to make their loss annoying they're already able to beat crap to death before even getting hit

unless you want your military to charge elite bowmen up front but that way you're just asking for it, not fixing what's not broken

also wooden shields are ok, shield bash will be useless but without the extra weight they'll have time to score an extra hit anyway

saurio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 04:40:54 pm »

My approach to maximum military efficency with minimum effort:

Dwarves that go into the military get some custom profesion ("Soldier", if you have no imagination). For those dwarves, set all their labors disabled except a few select ones, for example I tend to have them with only Pump Operator and Engraver because I'm lazy like that.

Then, set up your military in 4-dwarf squads, with a schedule of train, 2 minimum, forever. That way each month, 2 of them will train, while the other 2 will perform their other jobs, building up stats, this also seems to prevent bad thoughts from too much military duty. You can also use 6 strong squads, with 4 minimum. The point is to always have some of them off-duty, pumping air or smoothing floors needlessly.

Sit back and enjoy your überdwerfen with stupidly high stats and godly fighting skills.

Oh, and don't make the stupid mistake I made when assuming skill would trump armor. It doesn't.

PS: Legendary engravers-soldiers who murder things and then use the same weapons to engrave how they murdered those things.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 04:51:59 pm »

I dislike using traps for the simple fact that it kind of puts a safety mode on your fort.  And that can get boring quick.

When I was weaning myself off the use of traps, I allowed myself to make weapon traps, but only using captured weapons.  Its a decent challenge that forces you to learn the military screen but takes a little of the pressure off, and the fact that you can't spam them means placing them effectively becomes more challenging.  I don't use them at all now.

Learn to use bridges and levers to seal off, seal in, and separate siegers, it allows you to survive insane odds and puts control of a fight into your hands.. 

ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 06:58:20 pm »

I dislike using traps for the simple fact that it kind of puts a safety mode on your fort.  And that can get boring quick.
Necromancers. Every time. There are very few ways of dealing with them that don't give the necros more fuel to work with.
Pages: 1 [2]