Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding out clothing  (Read 758 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding out clothing
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:30:51 pm »

Moved from another topic to avoid derailment--

I've gotten tired of the micromanagement with clothes to the point that I've gone back to 2010. They clutter up your armor screen, and each individual material and type gets its own entry in the stocks menu. It'd be okay if dwarves just wanted a pig-tail-fiber shirt, pants, and shoes, and were willing to get rid of everything else; but in reality they have shirt, pants, shoes, gloves, mittens, socks, hats, caps, capes, robes, etc., etc., made out of a half-dozen types of cloth and umpteen types of leather, and I can't even tell what's being worn and what I need more of; and the armor for the military gets lost in the clutter. I can't just take the clothes off them and issue standard pig-tail-fiber clothing to reduce the clutter, because if I do they'll tantrum-spiral in a second, long before they get off their butts and claim the new clothing I've made. The unnecessary detail, and the way metal armor is mixed in with clothing, and the way you can't tell which things you need more of and which have been claimed--that's just too annoying for me. I want to be building and defending a fort, not micromanaging a clothing industry for a bunch of emodwarves who'll go insane because they had to walk barefoot around their own dining room.

Is there a way for me to mod the game to get rid of this annoyance? I don't want to add [NOEMOTION]; that just makes the game stupidly easy. If there were a way to just have generic pants, tunics, and socks, that'd be great; or, less ideally, a way to specifically get rid of clothing-related bad thoughts so that clothing could simply be dumped from the game entirely. It's not that I'm averse to !!FUN!!... just that I'm sick of the clutter.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: Modding out clothing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:41:04 pm »

Modest Mod may be just what you are looking for http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105871

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:49:39 pm »

for modding out clothing from civs:

go into the raws, locate the "entity_default.txt" folder.

there will be tokens that look like this: [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_COAT:COMMON]     [GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_MITTENS:COMMON] ect...

remove any tokens that contain clothing items you no longer wish the dwarves to wear.

i recommend keeping the following tokens:

[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:COMMON]
   [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_SHIRT:COMMON]
   [PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:COMMON]

since dwarves will still need some normal clothing to keep them from going crazy.

Result:

dwarves will only wear/replace shirts, pants + shoes

Also, one of the more recent devlogs mentioned that armor would fulfill clothing requirements now. so you can just make enough sets of leather armor / leggings / boots for your fort, set all civvies in squads and tell them to "replace clothing" and "wear uniform while Inactive" on the uniform screen. then deactivate (not disband) the squads, and you have removed the clothing requirement for your fort.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:52:16 pm by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:54:51 pm »

Miners, woodcutters and hunters still have their own uniforms, but there are few enough of them to keep clothed as normal.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.