Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: What new feature would stop you updating your game?  (Read 21223 times)

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What new feature would stop you updating your game?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 02:47:41 pm »

On topic, the only thing that might make me worry is if burrowing enemies could drill through walls, rendering all defense null.
YES
I remember Dungeon Keeper had a feature where your Imps could "harden" walls and prevent enemies from tunneling into your area. Catch was, when you were ready to expand, it took twice as long to tunnel through your own fortifications, and obviously you couldn't see past your own hardened walls until there was an open path. That was also a game where you couldn't be self-sustained like in DF. Turtling in DK was just a slow death until you ran out of gold.

Anyway, maybe I should run over to suggestions and toss in Reinforcing Walls to stop tunnelers, though Toady may already have it in mind.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 02:51:35 pm »

The problem with magma reactive armor vs diggers is that invaders can now murder your fort with FPS drain.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 03:12:47 pm »

Bit off topic But:
Sectioned magma jacket could be useful with diggers.
Ground level:
,.0~0
.,0~0
.,0~0

Level 1:
  0X0
  0x0
  0X0

Level 2:
  0~0
  0~0
  0~0
  0~0
  0~0

If they dig where it's wall all the way though they still get hit by magma. Above each segment is a layer with flood gates, which can be opened to refill segments form the reservoir above.
This design assumes a the game pauses and a message of something like "The goblins have broken though the walls!" appears so you can order the flood gate opened.
Flood gates can also be stuck atop the wall to pour Lava before they even reach the wall!

You can also easily repair the broken segments as they empty them selves.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 03:25:58 pm »

I don't think anything would make me feel so strong as not to update, i'm open to most ideas I guess.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 03:42:06 pm »

{. . . snip . . .}
1) If we had to worry about animal droppings or they would cause tantrum spirals.
2) Even more elaboration in the clothing area (ie, creating and storing sewing needles, manufacturing buttons, needing shoe laces)
3) Needing to worry about feathers for making bolts/arrows and the mandatory bird rearing industries that would require.
4) Worrying about needing to manufacturing dishes/washing dishes/broken dishes/storing dishes etc.
{. . . snip . . .}

Ya know... I kind of want those features. Well maybe not the animal droppings. More complicated manufacturing and general maintenance would be nice though. =P

{. . . snip . . .}
On topic, the only thing that might make me worry is if burrowing enemies could drill through walls, rendering all defense null.
{. . . snip . . .}

And I **REALLY** want that! It is too easy to just wall up and dig. While I wouldn't want just any enemy to be able to be able to dig through walls, I think special sieges with goblin sappers would be awesome. As long as it took a while for them to do their work and there was actually strategy involved in applying them. None of that just run up to a wall and go for it nonsense. They need guards or a distraction or subterfuge or something! =D

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 03:49:51 pm »

{. . . snip . . .}
1) If we had to worry about animal droppings or they would cause tantrum spirals.
2) Even more elaboration in the clothing area (ie, creating and storing sewing needles, manufacturing buttons, needing shoe laces)
3) Needing to worry about feathers for making bolts/arrows and the mandatory bird rearing industries that would require.
4) Worrying about needing to manufacturing dishes/washing dishes/broken dishes/storing dishes etc.
{. . . snip . . .}

Ya know... I kind of want those features. Well maybe not the animal droppings. More complicated manufacturing and general maintenance would be nice though. =P

Actually, for advanced manufacturing, animal droppings could be scraped up and used to make fertilizer for fields. Imagine, instead of a refuse stockpile, dwarves had a compost heap!

Forpl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 04:37:25 pm »

Never thought I'd say this about the DF community... But you guys are gigantic wimps. Dumbing down DF is a mortal sin.

No feature would ever make me not update the game. A broken feature, sure. But those are fixed not removed (although possibly removed until fixed :p).

Complexity and cerebral hemorrhages are DF's gimmicks. Don't take that away.

Granted, complexity for the sake of complexity is ridiculous. But removing a feature completely because it's "too complex" (whatever that means) is defiling the very foundation of DF. It's possible to reduce bad complexity (complexity stemming from a terrible interface) in a feature without removing it or dumbing it down by improving its interface.
Or couldn't you just carry the vampires mutilated corpse, and then lick it a bit, when you were ready?

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 04:50:40 pm »

What in the world is the point of this thread?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

xmorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 04:51:15 pm »

HOWEVER!!!  It would be an improvement if besiegers brought catapults/balista's that could blast through walls. A defense would be either having your own, or "reinforcing" your walls with double walls, one layer being wood/metal.

I think the only thing that would stop me from playing would be if they went windows only .NET, required some garbage like gfwl signin, any kind of drm, or if the linux vesrion stopped being supported or upgraded to an incompatible GLIBC. (or sold themselves to EA haha)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 05:10:47 pm »

What in the world is the point of this thread forum game?

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 05:34:15 pm »

The things I dread in every release are the added animalmen and giant animals. At least they are easy enough to mod out.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 09:35:22 pm »

YES
I remember Dungeon Keeper had a feature where your Imps could "harden" walls and prevent enemies from tunneling into your area. Catch was, when you were ready to expand, it took twice as long to tunnel through your own fortifications, and obviously you couldn't see past your own hardened walls until there was an open path. That was also a game where you couldn't be self-sustained like in DF. Turtling in DK was just a slow death until you ran out of gold.

Anyway, maybe I should run over to suggestions and toss in Reinforcing Walls to stop tunnelers, though Toady may already have it in mind.
I liked Dungeon Keeper, and I remember those reinforced unbreachable walls.  I also played a game called Cavewars, where one race either got that earlier than all of the others or were the only ones who got it.  I forget which.  I played that race all of the time.  They were rat-like beings.  I loved being able to burrow around the 3-D map "inside the walls".  Both of those games had a "win" criteria of wiping out the opposition.  DF doesn't have that limitation.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 01:08:38 am »

No matter what 'evil' stuff Toady throws out, or how 'effective' invaders become or how even more effective you have to plan your defenses, there's always a way to hold off any attackers. If they don't kill you, the dwarfes will kill themselves sooner or later.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 02:36:13 am »

Once the invaders learn to cover up moats, and dig through your defences, at least we could have epic fight, like those in: King Arthur, Kingdom of Heaven, Lord of the Rings (Minas Tirith), and many, many more.

Of course, then the whole political system/diplomacy/war would have to be revamped. So that you do not get invaded every year, since a siege would be a demanding investment.

I can imagine squads of "Tunnel Fighters" crawling through the darkest tunnel of my fortress, making sure goblins do not swarm from below. Or squads of hastily formed militia stopping a wave of enemies from piercing an opening in your walls. It would be much more fun than "Close Bridge, wait for buggers to leave."

The only thing which would scare me away rom DF would be a "reasonable" and "logical" name/title/region/history generator. Sensible DF? Not on my watch.

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 03:43:09 am »

Unless they could also burrow down levels, sticking a moat in front of the walls would be the obvious solution.

Dwarven and animal lavatorial needs wouldn't be fun to deal with, although herbivore dung could be used as fertiliser for fields
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7