Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: What new feature would stop you updating your game?  (Read 21136 times)

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What new feature would stop you updating your game?
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:24:18 pm »

Hey guys,
I am still content with a fort from an older version and have not updated yet. I've just been thinking lately after reading some of the more tedious things in the newer versions like dwarves needing clothing and the new mining system which sound more annoying than fun. Obviously how welcome or annoying a new feature is depends on how well it is implemented but would there be any new level of micromanagement that would seriously give you second thoughts about updating? At the very least, what new such features/added layers of depth would you find more annoying than fun?

For me, what I can think of at the moment that would do it might be:

1) If we had to worry about animal droppings or they would cause tantrum spirals.
2) Even more elaboration in the clothing area (ie, creating and storing sewing needles, manufacturing buttons, needing shoe laces)
3) Needing to worry about feathers for making bolts/arrows and the mandatory bird rearing industries that would require.
4) Worrying about needing to manufacturing dishes/washing dishes/broken dishes/storing dishes etc.

That's all I can think of at the very moment though with no doubt there is probably a lot of things. I would keep playing the game but just not update unless things like that got streamlined. I guess I'd rather have new features that add fun depth and things that are not necessarily mandatory or slow down current features/systems. For that matter, I'd rather have more updates that streamline current systems; like making orphaned bolts and arrows able to be compiled into piles to save space and time for instance.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: What new feature would stop you updating your game?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:31:39 pm »

Sounds like you fear micromanagement.  DF has been on a track away from that.  Pay closer attention, every update may introduce a "more difficult" situation, but also works to remove or at least not add any micromanagement.  Dwarves wear clothes - it's ok they'll pick them up on their own, and old clothes loose ownership.  Stockpiles can now be the sole intake for a workshop, so we no longer have to micromanage burrows to ensure a mason's shop only takes obsidian.

If we ever did get things like buttons, laces, pots, pans, etc, then they'd be optional.  If you have a sheet of cloth, a dwarf will make a shirt.  If you have fine silk, buttons, and zippers, then a dwarf will make a very expensive shirt.  But it will be optional, the same way that dye is optional.  I honestly don't think you'll ever see something that forces extreme micromanagement in the game intentionally - at least not without a different option.  There's always the ability to burrow and designate and get precise, but there's also the ability to just mass assign via the manager.  If there's anything that forces micromanagement, it's because Toady hasn't devised a way to make it easier yet.

On topic, the only thing that might make me worry is if burrowing enemies could drill through walls, rendering all defense null.

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:33:47 pm »

If the caravan could appear at any point on the edge of the map, rather than the exact five or six tiles from which my carefully-positioned depot is accessible. This would force me to have a military, and so I'd probably go and play The Sims or something instead, even though it doesn't have any tunnelling. The tunnelling is a big draw for me, not so much the random carnage and disasters. I quite like the sound of making buttons, actually. Perhaps they could be individually engraved with scenes from history.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:43 pm »

Things that can bust constructed walls, rubble (without good uses for it), needing air shafts/lighting, all animals needing to be fed (I turn off grazing as it is), random mine collapses, realistic structural integrity (no longer being able to stack buildings on one tall pillar), common illnesses.

Fusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:01:44 pm »

New features keep me playing.

It's silly, with a game where I've explored maybe 10% of the possibilities.

I am pretty much in love with toady's vision though.  What a master!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:03:10 pm »

On topic, the only thing that might make me worry is if burrowing enemies could drill through walls, rendering all defense null.
YES
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 02:03:26 pm »

None.

As long as there are ways to turn off or mod out annoying features I'll keep upgrading forever.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 02:13:59 pm »

Well, I'm currently not playing waiting for further updates, partly due to the new mining changes. I've got enough other games to keep me occupied until (hopefully) the mining system gets looked at again. It was annoying enough in previous versions to have some material magically disappear when mining until I got legendary miners. If it gets put off too far off I'll probably get dragged in anyhow though. It bothers me that I have to be so pedantic and get annoyed aboutby stuff like that, but can't help it :P

(and in contrast to other comments, I can't wait for enemy diggers to be implemented. Just need to make magma chambers between the walls to twart them ;P )

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:14:21 pm »

I'm still sitting in 34.07 because I knew there would be tons of hauling bugs with the "hauling fix".
So I'm waiting for that to get sorted out before updating, and glad I stayed on 07.

I would mention that "anything that adds features for Adventure mode that drain FortMode to low FPS". e.g. Worldgen is going in this direction...
However, I trust Toady on this, because in the last update he commented on the "wall-building-positioning" feature mentioning that he didn't want to kill FPS with pathing checks.

That said, there are lots of features that would press me to update :)

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 02:25:15 pm »

There would have to be some pretty serious and insane overhaul to make me stop playing. As long as the core gameplay is still "here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" then I'll likely keep playing Dorf Fort until I grow bored of it completely.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:27:59 pm by PsychicKid »

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 02:27:38 pm »

Is it bad that what most of you are sugesting would make me want to play?
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 02:30:31 pm »

Inner Wall|Magma|Outer Wall

Probably more trouble than I'd be willing to deal with though.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 02:31:00 pm »

Is it bad that what most of you are sugesting would make me want to play?

Enemies being able to dig through walls (natural or constructed) would definitely make for some very interesting gameplay, as long as it could be turned off. I can imagine it annoying some players who would hate to have their fort suddenly completely ruined either due to OCD being broken or a titan punching down the constructed wall that was holding up the residential area over the volcano caldera.

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 02:31:17 pm »

I'll likely keep playing Dorf Fort until I grow bored of it completely.

I think we can all agree with that tautology.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 02:36:38 pm »

Explosive dwarven diarrhea.

Short of that I think I'm in.

I don't expect diggers to be able to go through anything, but going through soil? Yeah, I'm down with that provided there's a way to refill tunnels with reasonable effort. Basically, you have to encase anything you want protected in stone, so worst case just excavate the outer soil wall, build a stone wall, and you're golden. Not that hard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7