Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Badfics: Ineptitude is Bliss  (Read 8507 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Badfics: Ineptitude is Bliss
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 10:45:13 am »

Ehh....still feels wrong to me, in part because it's just so out of character. I suppose a really good writer could find a way to make them stay in character and even provide reasonable in-universe justifications...but still......just WRONG.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 10:48:35 am »

which brought us such wonderful quotes as
The captain obeyed a disdirect order because he had to know the truth.

Samus did not know the distress bacon location

the blattle was a saurusious, buit in the end metorid blood was the one that stained the legal tender. But it wasnt legal enough. Ridley was decapited

"If i had known this ridley and the zebesians are innocent! ITS A SHADOW WAR! YOURE THE COMMUNISTS!" Samus vaporized a senator who was a republican
Ow! My Brain!

Although I totally have to agree that there's no emergency like a bacon emergency. Delicious.

I've somehow managed to avoid virtually all fanfics (good and bad); so there's not too much I can say about that, but fanfics are definitely not the only places where you end up with horrible, horrible writing that someone actually thought was good enough to share with the world. NSFW stories that are entirely made up of IKEA Erotica?(warning: tvtropes) Sure. Heck, spice that up that with some stream-of-consciousness writing and you've got a story that is both confusing AND makes you feel vaguely dirty, since it's pretty obvious that the "story" written by this "author" was almost certainly typed one-handed.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 01:53:24 pm »

My brother found a nice bunch of fics on fanfiction.net in the Lion King section that involved OCs (including anthros and a werewolf, I believe) having sex with the canon characters.  And breathing in the canon characters' farts.

I'm pretty sure it was a troll account, because... well, the spelling was terribad.  Things like "the budge in her thought", when he meant "bulge in her throat".  That being in reference to Sarabi eating Scar, I think.

Wish I could find the links.  It was hilarious and disturbing to read.  Maybe not quite in the spirit of the thread, since it was almost certainly trolling?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 02:10:42 pm »

Well, in all honesty, "forbiden fruit" is quite likely trolling.  But there's a difference between likely trolling and blatant trolling (such as 30H).  Likely trolling, well...  We just kind of have to take the bad with the good, if it's all enjoyable.

On the flipside, items of a particularly sexual or erotic nature probably shouldn't be pushed too heavily in here.  We only subject children to obscene mental and physical scarring during their formative years; I mean, we do have some decency.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 02:18:35 pm »

Ehh....still feels wrong to me, in part because it's just so out of character. I suppose a really good writer could find a way to make them stay in character and even provide reasonable in-universe justifications...but still......just WRONG.
See, it's the gems that really manage to capture the feeling of the original work that make it worthwhile. They aren't common (Sturgeon's Revelation and all that), but they do exist. It takes quite a bit of work to filter through the rubbish, but it's worth it. At least, if you're a crossover addict, that is.

Besides, it is really nothing more or less than a continuation of how humans have always been about stories. It's slightly different than the ways stories passed down via, say, oral tradition were changed, but much of fiction throughout history has been derived from different people noticing an interesting idea and adding their own bits to it. I can respect the desire of authors to keep "their" characters out of the hands of slash writers and so on, but that is going against human nature. Goodness knows that if I ever wrote something popular enough to generate fanfiction, I'd be avidly looking through it for the good stuff myself.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 02:22:33 pm »

K, so after a little browsing of Tvtropes I was very amused to discover that under recommended fanfics>literature>The Bible we find Paradise Lost.

Edit: If anyone could point me to some "Legolas by Laura"* style Bible fancfic I'd be grateful.

*I don't mean this a euphemism for christian rape themed stories, but rather works of the same quality.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:24:43 pm by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 02:24:26 pm »

I've thought about looking in their recfics section for the bible, but I was always a little scared of what I might find.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 02:26:23 pm »

My personal favorite ahs always been Half Life: Full Life Consequences. Mostly, the dramatic reading that mocks it very effectively, anyway. Here's the first two parts. No dirty stuff, but nominally NSFW for having a video done in GMod which is naturally as gory as the actual half-life games.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 02:35:53 pm »

Huh. I was just thinking about the first fiction story I tried to write for a grade school assignment. It was set on a terraformed Neptune, and involved a young boy on his hoverbike being nearly killed by hunter-seeker drones that ambushed him from out of the tall, purple grass.

Okay, so my terraforming knowledge left something to be desired (although I seem to remember it being in the *distant* future), but even my first scribblings were better than 95% of fanfics I've ever read.

There is a definite trend here, yeah.  There is an often glaring difference between authors who put a lot of work into writing and those who had an idea for something and jotted it down.

I suppose I can't really blame people who write fanfiction and really do just toss it together when they have a moment without a lot of thought.  It's not like a professionally published book or anything.  But this is the main reason that I don't read fanfiction anymore.  Wading through the junk is too daunting to be worth it.  Maybe it's just the sort of person I am, but many years ago when I first started trying to write serious fanfiction, I spent time researching how to write.  I wish more people would do the same.

I've found a rare few fanfics in my day that were just excellent and captivated my attention, but they're so rare and hard to find I don't even bother anymore.  You know... I wish there was an archive somewhere of fanfiction that was deemed to be of very high quality by the community.  Sort of like fanfiction.net but with a crap filter, I suppose.

Sort of makes my position in the community complicated.  I write fanfiction occasionally (okay, haven't in years due to lack of time and realization that none of it really mattered), but never read it.  Does that make me some sort of hypocrite?

(And I just realized that I'm perpetuating a derail!)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 04:19:41 pm »

I'm 90% sure my immortal is a troll, I lost my suspension of disbelief when the "author" mispelled masturbate as masticate(to chew). That seemed too deliberate.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 05:41:09 pm »

I'm 90% sure my immortal is a troll, I lost my suspension of disbelief when the "author" mispelled masturbate as masticate(to chew). That seemed too deliberate.

On the one side, it could be argued that "masticate" is close enough to "masturbate" to account for a potential spellchecker goof.  On the other side, the rest of the writing would indicate a severe, crippling *lack* of spellchecker.

And on the third hand; SHHHH!  We're trying to enjoy our own little bubbles of glorious stupidity here, show some manners.

And here we have a blog about the most famous badfic of all time.

Yeah, that's...  Kind of the joke I was hoping we'd be sensible enough to not make.
Pages: 1 2 [3]