Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Same old question, dog, just a different day  (Read 17379 times)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Same old question, dog, just a different day
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2012, 05:06:08 pm »

I suspected that you meant it hyperbolically, but a wolf can hope.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »

The way I see it, I feel no need to believe in any gods, because if I was a god, I would like atheists better anyway.

You know, they do good things just for the sake of being good, not just so they can be rewarded (though I would like religious people who did it for the sake of being good as well)
Atheists tend to be just as reward-based, but instead of saying they do good things for rewards in heaven, they say they do it for rewards in turn. IE, be nice so people are nice back. A wacky karmic balance thing that ironically requires just as much faith or hope that people will be nice back :P

Those who do good things for the sake of doing good things and not for any other perceived rewards don't follow any religious boundary, I don't think. There are people like that in every religion or non-religion, though seem to be in the minority.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2012, 06:10:09 pm »

Atheists tend to be just as reward-based, but instead of saying they do good things for rewards in heaven, they say they do it for rewards in turn. IE, be nice so people are nice back. A wacky karmic balance thing that ironically requires just as much faith or hope that people will be nice back :P
The emphasis is mine. That is the way people rationalize it, but I have my doubts that most people that say this actually do good things to be rewarded. They just never think to say “I do these things because I am genuinely concerned about other people.” I am not sure why, but I suspect it is because they do not know how to answer “Why are you concerned about other people?”
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:14:18 pm by Fenrir »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2012, 07:47:36 pm »

• You're pigeonholing/generalizing a lot here. Speaking as an atheist, and for other atheists I know, plenty of atheists' stated reasons for doing good things is because doing good things is, well, good, not because they'll get some kind of reward.
  • No, it doesn't take just as much faith. It's hardly some esoteric, mystical concept that people will be nice to you if you're nice to them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2012, 08:45:58 pm »

You know, they do good things just for the sake of being good, not just so they can be rewarded (though I would like religious people who did it for the sake of being good as well)

Lots of theists do good things without expecting any specific reward. There is such a thing as simple gratitude.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]